Weekend links

• Good one from Sheila Stokes-Begley on “smart” autos and “smart” guns.
  • I wouldn’t normally blog the death of a pro wrestler. But Rowdy Roddy Piper, who just died, age 61, also starred in John Carpenter’s terrific, underrated, and oh-so-apt freedomista social satire, They Live.
  • Where all the presidential candidates stand on pot legalization.
  • Speaking of which, even D.A.R.E. (that family-destroying, lying, totally ineffective-against-drug-abuse scourge of the 1980s) has now published an op-ed in favor of legal cannabis.
  • That CEO who raised the minimum wage at his company to $70,000 per year had some of his experienced employees quit for reasons that will sound like Econ 101 to freedomistas.
  • Can you imagine having a conversation with the kind of people who come up with this stuff?

1. Carl "Bear" Bussjaeger
    Carl "Bear" Bussjaeger August 2, 2015 8:13 am

Ah, yes. The University of North Massachusetts. I don’t have to imagine. Been there, done that. (UNMass also did one of those “surveys” that purported to show that 90% of all New Hampsters want more gun control. Last I heard, they still refused to release any source data. And I could never locate a single person who would admit to being surveyed, pro or con. I suspect they “surveyed” out-of-state students while they were at the local NH polling station during elections.)

2. LibertyNews
    LibertyNews August 2, 2015 9:01 am

“They Live” is one of my favorite movies of all time. FYI it is available from Amazon streaming — I just had to watch it again 🙂

3. MJR
    MJR August 2, 2015 10:38 am

With regards to the University of New Hampshire, having spent almost two and a half decades working in a ultra politically correct organization I wish these folks would simply dry up and blow away.

Wow hacking a gun, who knew? While I knew of the development of this technology from briefly looking at it in things like Gizmag, Gizmodo and such this technology interested me as much as using GPS which is nil.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of technology. In areas where failure can mean death or injury I’m just an old Luddite who doesn’t trust it. As I asked a supervisor once who wanted to put a red dot scope on a shotgun, “So what happens when there is a large animal chewing contently on a member of the public and the batteries in the red dot are dead?” This link shows that technology is great until the Fates step in. I still remember what am old mentor said to me a long time ago, nothing is fool proof because fools are so ingenuous.

Rowdy Roddy Piper, dead. Way to young and I can say that because I’m his age and I don’t feel old…

4. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau August 2, 2015 11:31 am

I too am a great fan of “They Live” although the viewpoint of the movie is almost more leftist than libertarian. The aliens were of course supposed to represent Republicans.

Somehow I can’t bring myself to care what the prez candidates think about marijuana.

The precious Bias-Free Language Guide would normally be the target of multiple satires, at least back in my college days. Is that no longer so? We should call the authors the New Puritans…

5. jed
    jed August 2, 2015 1:08 pm

I re-watched They Live last night. Fun movie. Also watched a few “bouts” of Pro Wrestling featuring Piper. Yep, it’s as bad as I remembered.

I’ve read that there are consipracy theorists claiming that Piper was murdered by the Illuminati. Also, try a search on YouTube for “Alex Jones Roddy Piper”.

Speaking only for myself, as a fat white guy, those academics can stick their bias-free speech up their differently-abled posterior cavities.

6. jed
    jed August 2, 2015 1:09 pm

“consipracy”? Oy.

7. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal August 2, 2015 2:14 pm

I’m against legalizing the presidency.

Claire August 2, 2015 4:11 pm

Conspiracy. Yeah. Really. Given that scads of pro wrestlers die in their 40s and 50s (if not earlier) from steroid misuse, heart attacks, acts of violence, recreational drug abuse, or other various consequences of the awful things they put their bodies through, at 61 Roddy Piper was, relatively speaking, an old man. If there was a conspiracy to off him, “they” were about 25 years late getting on with it.

9. MJR
    MJR August 2, 2015 6:10 pm

“Generally, the iron sights are still usable if the red dot batteries go dead. And usually it’s not a big deal to remove weaver-mounted devices in any case, if you have half a minute.”

Hey Paul you make a good and valid point. Red dot scopes are fine for things like hunting. I was using the red dot thing as an example because it was the first thing that came to mind and I have had 2 fail on me.

Where I was coming from was the emergency response standpoint. For the last 23 years I worked in the Safety and Security branch of a major zoo. One of the jobs that I was tasked with was being a member/instructor of the zoo firearms team.

BTW the boss did end up putting red dot scopes on 3 of the firearms, a .22, a 12g and a .30-06 (the recoil on the .458 win mag was deemed too great) and they were wonderful until the first time they where were pulled for real.

It was an overcast day and there was a dangerous animal move (polar bear) and the red dot scopes on the 12G and the .30-06 failed. The reason for the fail was human error, the red dots had not been turned off after being cleaned and stored 4 months earlier after a qualification shoot. Yes the bone head who screwed up was taken off the team. Taking the red dots off the guns was not an option because the rings were not fitted with quick disconnects and there were no spare batteries in the kit because people liked to acquire them. Before you say it, yes I did work for a bunch of fools but the job paid well and I got to take big guns out and shoot them at a range while being paid twice a year.

The good thing that happened after the above noted screw up was the red dots were retired and I managed to scrounge one for a few bucks. Use it for hunting, yes. Trust it, no. Have a plan B if it fails, always. There is that’s the Luddite in me again… :^)

10. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair August 3, 2015 5:34 am

Which is why I’ve always wanted a Trijijcon Reflex for my AR: Tritium instead of batteries, quick release. I just don’t want it badly enough to pay the freight.

11. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair August 3, 2015 5:45 am

Oh, and on that marijuana legalization issue, people probably have an idea on where I stand, but I’ll make it crystal clear. There are already criminal penalties for legislators who vote for and narcs who enforce ANY legislation that criminalizes the unregulated manufacture, sale, purchase, possession, or ingestion of ANY drug. Wrongful arrest is kidnapping. They should all be tried for kidnapping, or conspiracy to commit kidnapping, and, if found guilty by a jury of their peers, hanged by the neck until dead.

12. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau August 3, 2015 10:02 am

[yes I did work for a bunch of fools]

MJR you make some good points. Red dots certainly have some drawbacks; not being idiot-proof is one of them. My own bitch about them is that they are often too bright even at the lowest setting, so one’s night vision (or “evening vision”) is ruined – particularly those that auto-adjust (now why did the designers of these not provide for manual adjust along with the auto-adjust?). However I think most newer designs now will turn off by themselves after a couple of hours.

Ages ago there was some research about using red dots for hunting in the evening and at night, in Precision Shooting magazine. The brightness problem was so bad the authors resorted to using different (lower voltage) batteries to tone the dot down to something useful.

13. Shel
    Shel August 3, 2015 2:19 pm

Yes, some of the newer red dots last longer without changing batteries. Aimpoint’s Micro T-1 and H-1 are advertised as being able to go 50,000 hours, or over 5 years, without needing a battery change. The smallest red dots I’m aware of cover two minutes of angle (about 2″ at 100 yds); most are 4 MOA for faster acquisition, so neither are really “precision” systems, especially since most don’t seem perfectly round to the naked eye. I’m starting to think that for someone used to them, regular old luminous open sights are faster, since there is nothing obstructing vision (even with forward mounted red dots), and just about as precise.

14. LarryA
    LarryA August 3, 2015 9:50 pm

As I recall there’s fine print in battery warranties stating that they are guaranteed never to fail unless there’s less than thirty seconds to replace them.