Midweek links

• 🙂 Sword + righteous determination beats knife-wielding cowards. And that reminded faithful reader PT of “I’ll see your six …”.
  • A rough, tough novelist pulls himself back from the brink of death.
  • How well do you know Gandalf from Dumbledore? I was thinking about that while re-reading the Harry Potter books recently, so naturally I had to steal this when Wendy McElroy posted it.
  • The 2015 Human Freedom Index from Cato, the Frasier Institute, and three other think tanks around the world. Once again, the U.S. doesn’t crack the top 10.
  • “I Made an Untraceable Ghost Gun” by Andy Greenberg via Wired. I missed this when it came out in June and Mr. And Mrs. Furrydoc just sent it my way. Fascinating and unbiased account from a mechanically uninclined experimenter.
  • The euro won’t survive the next economic downturn.
  • The drug war should go, but some efforts to legalize weed don’t seem a whole lot better. Ohio’s proposal would — how cozy! — put the core of the industry into the hands of a handful of wealthy backers, who have a monopoly conveniently built into the initiative and have already snapped up the only 10 grow sites allowed.

1. Matt, another
    Matt, another August 20, 2015 7:45 am

I didn’t really understand his logic in getting rid of the ghost-gun. He makes an untraceable ghost-gun and then gives it to the government because he is afraid it could be traced back to him if he improperly destroyed it according to ATF rules. It had no serial number or idenifying marks, he could of just milled it into several paperweights, door wedge, hammer or just mailed it to himself and reassembled it at home.

2. Matt, another
    Matt, another August 20, 2015 7:50 am

From the statist perspective, legalizing marijauana is about control and profit more than freedom. It allows profit through taxacation and crony capitalism. It enacts levels of control that the war on some drugs never reached. People will willingly put themselve in Govt databases to use “legal” drugs. When prohibition was repealed, the winners were not the people put into jail for making, moving or consuming illegal alcohol, it was the friends of the politicians. Winners were those that got the govt controlled licenses to make, distribute and sell alcohol.

3. LarryA
    LarryA August 20, 2015 9:38 am

Crocodile Dundee version:

Everybody has different ideas about how governments can fix the euro. Nobody realizes that the source of the problem is governments fixing the euro.

It had no serial number or identifying marks, he could of just milled it into several paperweights, door wedge, hammer or just mailed it to himself and reassembled it at home.

“We read your article, Mr. Greenberg. We know what you said you did with your untraceable gun. Now we want to know what you really did with it.”

4. Chris
    Chris August 20, 2015 9:41 am

Really? Hong Kong is #1 in human freedom? How do you buy a gun there? What happens if you make critical comments about China?

Somehow Cato needs to rethink what “freedom” is.

5. Jim B.
    Jim B. August 20, 2015 9:46 am

Matt,

The first thing about opsec’ing a ghost gun is: Never let anybody you don’t trust know about the ghost gun. I hope for his sake he only gave them the receiver part he made, but I can understand giving the whole gun, makes them think he didn’t keep anything.

Also depends on where he is as well, I guess.

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau August 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Those freedom indices are dependent on the weight put on the various factors; obviously some people give more weight to RKBA than others do. Most of the indices pick the weights for you, so its likely hit or miss whether you are going to agree with it or not.

I helped Jason Sorens expand the content of his spreadsheet for the Free State Project. His freedom index allowed the user to set the weights for the various factors, so it was much better in this respect. When I applied my own preferred set of weights, the spreadsheet said Wyoming was the best state, followed by South Dakota.