Monday links

1. Jim B.
    Jim B. September 7, 2015 12:21 pm

This seriously need to be connected with the government. Of any level.

Quote:
    Verschlimmbessern–To make something worse by trying to improve it.
    –Seriously, with a Congress as hamfisted as we have HOW have we NOT made this word our own?
    -End

Joel September 7, 2015 1:15 pm

“The biggest tactical beard network of its kind.” Which suggests that there are others? Will we be seeing internecine tactibeard feuds, like among the threepers? Will they be fought with guns? The peanut gallery wants to know!

3. jed
    jed September 7, 2015 1:47 pm

Internecine Beard Feud could be the name of a hipster musical group. And I’m sure the government will be keeping an eye on these sorts of radicals, as we all know that the more you resemble Phil Robertson or Billy Gibbons, the more trouble you’re likely to cause. Look for Bearded Alchohol Tobacco & Firearms plants to infiltrate these groups, and foment exactly the sort of strife needed to render them ineffective in their quest to promote tactical facial hair. I also expect the National Organization of Women and the SPLC to condemn them as being misogynists.

I can only think of that famous line by The Who, “Hope I die before I get old”, when I contemplate surviving into old age and needing healthcare from the system created by these sesselpupsers.

4. Shel
    Shel September 7, 2015 3:37 pm

I kept thinking the beard article had to be a spoof, but I guess not. And that’s bad; since I probably could only grow a decent goatee, I already feel inferior.

On a tangent, there’s a good article on the overrating of megatsunamis http://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2013/12/13/canary-islands-tsunami/

I thought the medicine article was very good. One thing he didn’t mention was the ICD (International Classification of Disease) system. ICD-9 has been in use; ICD-10 will be in use. When that occurs is still up for debate http://www.icd10watch.com/blog/should-icd-10-be-pushed-back-2016 I happened to talk to an ENT doc (in a chance encounter at the post office); he described the complexity of ICD-10. Under the previous system, a broken nose would require a statement that the patient’s nose was broken and it was fixed. Under ICD-10, what is required is what the patient was doing when the nose was broken, how it was broken, and the repair described in detail, among other things. Each improperly filled out item gives medicare a convenient excuse to delay payment. The consultant who explained the situation to his group, a long established practice in the area, advised them to take out a six month line of credit. My friendly informant flatly stated that he was going to retire before the new bureaucratic complication hit.

Dismaying, but not surprising, that the official reaction to the 11 year old’s brave act was questioning how he had access to the means to defend himself and his sister.

Claire September 7, 2015 7:07 pm

Shel — Fascinating and comforting on the megatsunamis. But how depressing to know the megatsunami of medical regulations is scheduled to get that much worse.

The number of doctors planning to (or desiring to) leave the business is impressive.

6. LarryA
    LarryA September 7, 2015 9:27 pm

Kathryn Schultz is back with some pretty sound advice for staying safe when Cascadia decides to do its thing.

Nice to see folks catching up to us 1980s survivalists.

7. MJR
    MJR September 7, 2015 9:41 pm

The chimp story doesn’t surprise me. Two of the orangutans at the zoo I used to work at bent a large tree branch until it broke off. Then they used the branch to escape over the wall of their enclosure. Their actions made for a very interesting day.

8. Laird
    Laird September 8, 2015 8:08 am

“Fox2Now reported that police want to know why the children were home alone and why the 11-year-old had access to a gun.”

Of course they do.

9. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 8, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks for that earthquake article, I am going to get right on it! Water heater straps… šŸ™‚

[What they want is to turn the ATT into an arms control and disarmament treaty.

Keeping skeptics away is part of that campaign.]

I have to wonder about the utility of staying in this organization. Gun rights folks risk giving those bastards legitimacy, by their mere presence. Anyway we shouldn’t care what the outcome is. We should instead just shoot anyone who offers to confiscate our guns.

10. Unclezip