Tuesday links

• No. This is just plain wrong. And the “only ones” are going to commit even more bloody mayhem than they already do with this in their hands.
  • This, on the other hand, is bizaarrish. And their rationale for it (in the video) is laughable. But the innovation is intriguing. According to Wikipedia, it’s been around since 1999 in Russia, but looks as if there might be a serious push for it in the U.S. this year. (H/T MJR)
  • This morning, Obama’s fedgov took its the first step toward its long-dreaded executive action on guns. “Laughable fizzle” is my first response to the White Paper. But other phrases like “camel’s nose” and “slippery slope” most assuredly apply. (More to come from the White House today, but I’m prepping this post before the final news is out.)
  • Unintentionally funny: the best ways to spot a liar. Not through secret training in body language or eye movements (aka expensive guesswork). Just the old-fashioned way. Not real handy for the “instant security” folks, though.
  • Some hearty encouragement against the confiscator wannabes. (H/T The Shy One)
  • In all the media frenzy over last spring’s “Draw Mohammed” competition (especially when it ended with two dead jihadis), not much attention was given to the winner. Did you know he was raised Muslim?
  • Thomas Chatterton Williams: My black privilege.
  • Why is Hillary not already under indictment???

1. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal January 5, 2016 10:09 am

Would the OSA pistol be allowed by the anti-liberty bigots in post offices, government buildings, and planes? Would I get in trouble for carrying one without a permit in those places which pretend to require one?

If the same “laws” would be enforced against me for carrying the OSA pistol as for carrying a real pistol, why bother with the “nonlethal” expensive toy?

…….

Paul Howe has greater faith in the integrity and intelligence of those who defile themselves by working for government than I have. If they are going to someday refuse to commit acts of governing or enforcement, why haven’t they yet?

2. Bear
    Bear January 5, 2016 10:31 am

Rhetorical Question: Why is HRC not already in prison, having confessed?

For those under the impression that there is any semblance of rule of law:

Federal records retention laws allow for personal email to be used for official business with prior permission, but require all such emails to be turned over to the government. At the time of HRC’s tenure as Secretary, any such email had to be turned over within 60 days (last I checked, that window has been reduced to 20 days).

By HRC’s own admission, she held on to roughly 55,000 pages of emails for two years past her exit from State. For the calendarically challenged, that’s a little lot past the 60 day limit. By announcing when she turned over the emails (even generously assuming she did turn over all lawfully relevant material) she publicly confessed to a felony more like thousands of individual felonies; 1 per late email):
    ===

18 U.S. Code § 2071 – Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally

(a)
    Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    (b)
    Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States. As used in this subsection, the term “office” does not include the office held by any person as a retired officer of the Armed Forces of the United States.

===

The whole classified information in email is another set of felonies covered by 18 U.S.C. 793,794,& 798. She’s still arguing whether the material was classified at the time, or merely classified later. But that’s immaterial to the admitted felonies.

3. MJR
    MJR January 5, 2016 11:03 am

Non-lethal Pistol – This is perfect for the police not for the public. The amount of firearms misuse by the public is very, very small compared to the amount done by the police. Personally I would love to see this being the issue side arm of rank and file police officers all across North America. Let the SWAT guys carry the guns. It would greatly reduce the amount of people who cops kill when they screw up. A cop get in over his/her head then they can call for back up from SWAT like the cops in the UK do. After all “if it saves one life.”

Obama’s executive orders are only going to result in: (a) Better gun sales for big companies. (b) Driving a bigger wedge between law-abiding gun owners and those in government. (c) More acts of rebellion. Has this fool never learned about the law of unintended consequences?

4. Mr Ecks
    Mr Ecks January 5, 2016 11:31 am

I write from the UK and am concerned that the people of the US do not give up their gun rights. There were only 75000 “serious” gun owners in the UK ( excluding double-barrel shotguns owned by farmers/country-folk and clay pigeon shooters of which there are many more still in use ) so the UK confiscation was easy to impose on the non-criminal population.

This “executive order” is nothing more than rule by fiat. Are the American people going to tell the Teleprompter King to shove it up his backside and what can he do if they do?

MamaLiberty January 5, 2016 12:04 pm

The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to ever consider the use of “non” or “less than lethal” tools for self defense. A strong attacker with two or more solid caliber bullets in them could still continue the attack and overpower or kill me. I understand that most people shot with regular guns do not die. Self defense requires that the defender shoot until the threat has ceased – and stand ready to shoot again if the threat returns. I don’t see that working too well with pepper spray or a “stun gun,” even if they have multiple shot capacity. Possible? Sure, but I’m not going to bet my life on it. I’m not going to worry about the possible lethal effect on the attacker either. All he/she had to do to avoid any risk of being shot is to leave me alone.

MamaLiberty January 5, 2016 12:07 pm

I mean consider carrying these “less than lethal” things as a substitute for a gun. As I said before, I’ll use anything that comes to hand if the need arises. But it seems to me to be prudent to be ready as possible with the most effective tool available… before it is needed. 🙂

Claire January 5, 2016 1:32 pm

I don’t think anybody here is considering carrying “non-lethal” weapons instead of guns. I’m not sure where you get that idea. They imply that in the video, but it’s silly. We all know better than that.

MJR thought non-lethal might be useful for cops. I posted it because I think the innovation and versatility is interesting, not because I’d ever want, or ever recommend, this particular weapon. Certainly wouldn’t recommend it over obviously more effective tools.

8. RustyGunner
    RustyGunner January 5, 2016 3:06 pm

I try to carry at least a couple of layers of “leave me alone” as not every situation, even potentially violent ones, calls for a lethal response. I already have that pepper-gel blaster you tested in my Amazon queue for when I have a little mad money, I’d love to see that Wasp pistol put through its paces. The options it provides are interesting, although because it’s intended to be fired at somebody I’m fair certain that flashbang would be a NFA Destructive Device.

MamaLiberty January 5, 2016 3:10 pm

Oh, I didn’t think you were advocating replacing guns with these things, Claire… but a lot of people seem to think that’s a great idea and it always troubles me. When you need a gun, nothing else is going to do the job. And nobody knows ahead of time when they will need it. Even cops.

Can’t speak for anyone else, of course, but I’ve given it a lot of thought and did some dry fire practice with an “airsoft” to represent some kind of pepper spray or other item. I don’t doubt that some folks could and would be able to face an emergency and decide appropriately which one of all those options to use. I don’t know if I could, and I’m sure I wouldn’t want to have to struggle with it. Again, training in a “shoot, don’t shoot” protocol is much less complicated.

If I am faced with the need for a less than lethal weapon, I suspect I could find one around me. So far, just making sure the potential attacker sees the gun has been enough.

10. A.G.
    A.G. January 5, 2016 9:40 pm

🙁 ^^^

Claire January 6, 2016 4:43 am

M — I saw that late yesterday, thank you. Terrible news. Not surprising, I suppose, given how bad Mike’s health has been for such a long time. But it’s going to be an awful loss to the gun-rights world and the freedomista world in general. And how sad for Rosey and everyone who loves Mike.

His newly “concentrated” resolve is impressive, but I hope there are a lot of freedom lovers in Mike’s part of the world who can help him with a lot of those mundane projects he wants to finish for Rosey’s sake — and so that he can continue the more important work that benefits us all. Above all, though, I hope his last months are full of love and peace and not just suffering.

12. peter connor
    peter connor January 6, 2016 6:51 am

Has Paul Howe ever heard of the Bonus Army, and the fact that they were fired on by other Americans under the leadership of Doug McArthur?

13. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack January 6, 2016 7:32 am

Mr Ecks,

I don’t think Americans will be easily pried from their guns.

14. Laird
    Laird January 6, 2016 9:08 am

M, thanks for that link. Terrible news. I don’t visit that blog as often as I should so I hadn’t seen his post. Mike will be missed.

15. pigpen51
    pigpen51 January 6, 2016 1:19 pm

I saw that at Sipsey St. also. Sad day for all. Can’t say much more, he is a good man. I hope his family has many good days with him left.