Monday links

• Brad, over at WendyMcElroy.com, says, “Adios, Forbes.” I’ll follow that with my own “Sayonara.” I used to check Forbes often; now it won’t let me in even when I try to accommodate its demands. Seems that’s just as well, really.
  • You might not favor this guy’s environmental stance, but the way he went about saving a patch of old-grown forest is an inspiration.
  • Yikes! Village endures “biblical” rains. (Commentariat member Roger: I hope you don’t live anywhere near this place!) (H/T jed)
  • David Codrea reminds us of a few more things Mike Vanderboegh has done for freedom.
  • Google’s (unsurprisingly) creep plan to replace passwords with 24-hour behavior monitoring. Eeeeew.

1. RustyGunner
    RustyGunner January 18, 2016 9:33 am

I’m not a “treehugger” by any means, but look what that fellow didn’t do: he didn’t run to the State to block the cutting, he didn’t spike the timber or threaten or damage private property, he asked the owners not to cut and presented a compelling argument. That’s the civilized way to resolve disputes.

Claire January 18, 2016 10:21 am

Bingo, RustyGunner. And wasn’t his argument wonderfully creative?

3. DTSwede
    DTSwede January 18, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks a bunch for that last link, Claire.

Now I’m afraid to pick up my Android smartphone.

Claire January 18, 2016 12:00 pm

No worries, DTSwede. It doesn’t really become a problem until you’re afraid to leave your house without a tinfoil hat on.

(But I’ll admit that article made me glad once again that my cell phone is 10 years old and dumber than a box o’ rocks.)

5. LarryA
    LarryA January 18, 2016 12:03 pm

And you’re afraid of Androids?

Pat January 18, 2016 1:15 pm

“So Ziak showed someone a forest, who sat next to someone on a plane, who told her child about the conversation, who told his massage therapist, who happened to be the massage therapist who worked with Hancock runners, who befriended Hancock employees who could tell her about the VP, so she could provide Ziak contact information for the one person in the world who could stop the logging. All by low-tech word-of-mouth.”

Which goes to prove the power of OralNet. Think how much *more* effective freedomistas could be when they’re TRYING to connect.

7. MJR
    MJR January 18, 2016 4:11 pm

About Google, I will believe it when I see it. One thing about biometrics is they are not as reliable as some would like us to think. For every obstacle there is a workaround sooner or later. As I said to a friend who was bragging about the new thumbprint security feature: “Sure nobody can access your PC until they cut off your thumb and use it on the scanner.”

BTW the forest story is a good one. It has helped a guy like me along the road to start regaining his limited faith in humanity.

I read about Forbes over at Wendy’s and sure enough, like the rube who “touches the wet paint just to be sure” I had to look. I didn’t go there often so ve con Dios Forbes

8. Kristophr
    Kristophr January 18, 2016 8:03 pm

A simple authenticator is a better solution. If you don’t have one, you don’t get in ( Blizzard sells them for their games for about $7. Some player groups don’t give full access to unauthenticated players to prevent group bank looting by hackers ). If your auth stops working, you use the serial number on the back to remove it from your account, and buy a new one.

Seeing banks move to one is a good thing.

Much simpler and less intrusive than requiring face/voice recognition or fingerprint access.

9. A.G.
    A.G. January 19, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks for the conservationist link above. 🙂

Claire January 19, 2016 10:57 am

You’re welcome. 🙂 That made me think I’d like to know that guy.