The things you notice when you’re living real life

It’s been busy — but mundane — in the 10 days since I suspended home Internet. Mundane is good. I like mundane. In fact, the virtues of downright boredom are sadly unappreciated in this busy-busy day.

I’ve had excitement in my life. Looking back, most of it was too darned exciting and not at all pleasant. I did not relish the moment the jetliner I was in had to pull up unexpectedly because some other plane full of people decided to cross in front of it (nor the time the plane I was in nearly landed on the roof at Shannon Airport after coming down all kerflotchy in a storm). Even aside from Incidents Involving Airplanes, very little in my life that I think of as “exciting” was anything I’d care to repeat. Bad LSD trips. Cars plunging off (fortunately small) banks into (fortunately small) trees. Earthquakes. Hurricane-force winds. Eating raw oysters. Being threatened by a crazed stalker. Meeting Charles Manson.

Nope. You can keep your “exciting.” I’m loving mundane.

—–

Having limited ‘Net (and having the abundance of Real Life that goes along with all that extra time) also changes perspective.

The day Comcast shut off service was the Saturday of the Nevada D-Party caucuses and I was in an agony of suspense, hoping terrible electoral things would happen to Hillary Clinton. Today … I didn’t realize it was Super Tuesday until I came to the library and did a brief news cruise. And when I found out I didn’t care.

The notion that we can somehow “v*te ourselves into” freedom or happiness or justice or democracy or prosperity or whatever seems more and more bizarre the further I get away from the process.

Elections themselves — especially this year — are such a wildly entertaining (dare I say “exciting”?) show that it’s easy to forget how foolish the whole business is. Yet there it is: millions of people actually believe they’re going to v*te for somebody-or-another who’s going to “make America great again” or “make healthcare affordable” or whatever. But just quit watching the business for a week or two and its absurdity — it’s insanity — is thrown into high relief.

Political wonk and chronic gov-guy Larry Summers wails that Donald Trump is a serious threat to democracy — that The Donald is what happens when people get fed up and desperate. What Larry Summers fails to see is that he himself, and others of his exalted government class, are the thing inspiring such crazed desperation.

Sure, Donald Trump’s a potential disaster. But only because of all the political disasters that have come before — many of them created by Summers’ own favs.

And to think the first thing I did upon reaching legal age was to rush out — oh so proudly! — and register to v*te. Hard to believe I was so deluded once upon a time. But what can I say? I blame government schooling and my dear old socialist mother.

I didn’t agree with an iota of her politics, but she sure had me totally sucked into that v*ting thing. And that “politics as theater” business. Now, as I clean house and do illustrations and watch out the windows and spread drywall mud and play with the dogs and don’t immerse myself even in the shallow un-reality show that is election news, mundane life looks more sane while the sham of “public” life doesn’t even look entertaining.

Yeah. Put politics right up there with near-miss plane crashes when it comes to “excitement” I don’t need.

Now. If only the damn political craft wasn’t going to go ahead and crash upon us all …

—–

NOTE: I have another long post queued up for tomorrow. As a general rule, I’m going to try to post Tuesdays and Fridays during this ‘Netly hiatus. Sometimes I’ll have bonuses like tomorrow’s. Can’t actually promise a regular schedule, but Tuesday and Friday is what I’ll aim for unless something major strikes.

1. RustyGunner
    RustyGunner March 1, 2016 12:53 pm

Sadly, the old aphorism usually attributed to Pericles is as true now as it was in his day: just because you take no interest in politics does not mean politics will not take an interest in you. Freedomistas are too few in number, committed to too many politically-incorrect things, and live in a country grown too small and open to surveillance to escape the eye of the tyrant for long.

I vote and play the game not because I have faith in it but for the one infinitesimal chance that there might be a solution to all this that doesn’t boil down to surrender, die, or shoot the bastards. I can’t surrender, I’m not ready to die, and I really, really don’t want to have to shoot anyone.

Great. It’s a beautiful day, the sun is shining, there’s pot roast in the slow cooker, and now I’m all grumpy. If anyone wants me I’ll be in the corner eating worms.

MamaLiberty March 1, 2016 1:39 pm

I don’t look at much of the “news,” and especially not much of the electoral political nonsense, but what little I see has me shaking my head at the utter infantile actions and words from ALL of them. I’ve seen more rational behavior at a junior high school food fight… and they were just having fun, harming nobody – rather than trying to take over the world. I was a volunteer “lunch lady” for the school my eldest attended one year.

My problem is not the internet. šŸ™‚ It’s a combination of spring fever and writer’s block. I’m just dying to get into the garden, and started my seeds about two weeks earlier than usual. And then it snowed. šŸ™‚

3. Bear
    Bear March 1, 2016 3:38 pm

Despite the AA liner that nose-dived onto the runway, multiple aircraft losing engines mid-flight (they foamed the runway for one), the failed electrical system in-flight (same aircraft they foamed the runway for a year earlier), the broken troop seat that knocked me out on thew C-130, going through the Gulf thunderstorm in a Piper…

It took airport “security” to put me off air travel.

4. Mr.shawn
    Mr.shawn March 1, 2016 6:01 pm

Every couple of years we trot out a bunch of fools from DC who argue about how they’re the only ones that can save the republic. Every couple years the networr

5. Mr.shawn
    Mr.shawn March 1, 2016 6:15 pm

Sry. Phone went schizoid for a minute.
    So the networks play up the circus. They do man on the street interviews.
    And every couple years the majority of Americans think this circus will actually change the ruininess path were headed down. I don’t buy it anymore. The GOP has become the “give Obama permission” party. There is so little real difference between the two parties that a megalomaniac & an avowed socialist are getting traction. It’s become a spectacle.

6. Matt
    Matt March 1, 2016 6:57 pm

Most of my veteran friends have quit voting, the see the world as it is. My Epat friends don’t vote, they walked away shaking their heads. I have quit voting and am trying to convince others of the folly. Alas though, my kids still vote. I would be ashamed if I could feel shame.

7. LarryA
    LarryA March 1, 2016 11:05 pm

I’ve had pretty good luck when flying commercial, other than the time I was on Czechoslovakian Air Lines and the pilot missed a turn before he took off. That’s how I found out those big jets can back up.
    My most exciting military experience was a front-seat ride-along in a Cobra test flight, when the canopy latch failed. Amazing how much trash gets left in the nooks and crannies of the cockpit.

Our local 6:00 p.m. news was encouraging listeners to email which presidential candidate they voted for. I resisted my standard answer, “I voted the same way everyone else did; by secret ballot.”
    Yes, I voted. We pay attention to the show because my wife writes up the results for the local newspaper, and because there were some local races that will make a difference. In one the vote was fairly close. At least here we had real people to vote for.
    Super Tuesday will make a big difference here in Texas. Now we can have our phones back.

8. Vince
    Vince March 2, 2016 7:04 am

I voted in almost every election from 1972 to 2012 and all it got me was Nixon to Obama (voted for Nixon, did not vote for Barky).

When I retired and moved to Nevada I had already made up my mind that I was not going to register. Give my home address to people who consider it public information? Voluntarily place myself on another goobermint database?

In the words of the blonde actress, “As IF!”

As an added bonus I haven’t been dragooned into jury duty or even had to fill out their questionnaire. In the 29 years I lived in Jersey I had to report every three years only to sit in the waiting room and watch “Tootsie”. Every three years, same movie while they ask you if you will follow the judge’s instructions as he gives them to you and by the way, what bumper stickers are on your truck? None actually, but blank you just the same. Eventually I just started telling them I believed the jury had a legal right to try the law as well as the supposed culprit and that saved a little time.

So they can keep their civic duty and I’ll enjoy my golden years the way I’d always planned.

9. Karen
    Karen March 3, 2016 3:12 pm

Even not paying attention, it’s darn hard not to hear way too much about the candidates and the election. I’ve had a song running thru my head for weeks now. “Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.”