Tuesday links

• Sigh. It had to happen. One faction in the cannabis legalization movement sics the cops on another faction that it perceives as cutting into its profits. Piggery all around.
  • “But we’re different, right?” asks Y.B. ben Avraham, on the subject of hating Jews.
  • Well, yes, that’s almost exactly how it is being a writer. Except they forgot to add smoking three packs a day* and finding clever strategems (like counting the perforations on the acoustic tiles in the ceiling) to avoid actual, you know, work. (H/T jed in comments)
  • Seventeen movies that bombed at the box office then went on to become big cult hits.
  • While this article leans anti-Peter Thiel and I’m way more inclined to think the world owes Thiel a debt for his creative thinking and his billionairish backing of it, it’s still a decent look at the man.
  • This is so cool! Completely fake, mind you. It’s a conceptual art project, not a real thing. But still … so weirdly, imaginatively, creepily cool: The Merrylin Cryptid Museum. (Best viewed by allowing all three scripts, if you happen to be browsing around with NoScript on.)

* No, the smoking and drinking are NOT ME. I have been known to count holes in ceiling tiles, but that was actually in the fifth grade, when I was trapped in class. These days I have more wide-ranging and interesting ways of work avoidance.

1. Dial911book
    Dial911book June 7, 2016 12:18 pm

I didn’t know where to post this or let Claire know. I recently moved and uncovered The Gadsden Girl in my stored things — I need to reframe this truly lovely piece. Just a shout out and a Thank You to Claire!

2. jed
    jed June 7, 2016 1:33 pm

Definitely +1 for Rocky Horror, Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, The Big Lebowski, and Office Space. It’s easy to see why Rocky Horror and Office Space bombed on the big screen. The others, not so much.

I haven’t seen any of those Hitchcock films. I really ought to.

MamaLiberty June 7, 2016 2:26 pm

Yes indeed… and the Canadian cannabis nonsense illustrates: When some people have power (and bogus authority) over other people, against their will… tyranny is the inevitable result. No matter what they call themselves.

Claire June 7, 2016 3:11 pm

Dial911book — Thank you and what amazing timing! I just this weekend went through my photo and graphics files and rediscovered Gadsden Girl. Wondered if it might be time to either re-print her or do something new along the same lines.

Pat June 7, 2016 4:20 pm

“do something new along the same lines”

Give her a firearm.

6. MamaLIberty
    MamaLIberty June 8, 2016 4:44 am

“Give her a firearm.”

Oh YES. 🙂

7. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair June 8, 2016 6:53 am

Three packs a day? That’s a lot. I hope you’re describing your concept of a generic writer, not yourself, Claire. If it is you, I pray that you find the desire and will to quit.

Claire June 8, 2016 11:05 am

“Three packs a day? That’s a lot. I hope you’re describing your concept of a generic writer, not yourself, Claire.”

Oh yegads. Definitely a “generic concept writer,” Bill. Oh my lord, I do not smoke at all. I’ve just known or known about a LOT of writers. And they are not the healthiest bunch, either mentally or physically.

9. Jim B.
    Jim B. June 8, 2016 7:23 pm

Fred beat me to it.

But piggery doesn’t even begin to describe how greedy they are. And requiring a conviction for asset forfeiture? Wasn’t that “required” almost from the beginning when they charge the asset with a crime? Another good reason to keep your money in mattresses and keep only the minimum needed to keep regular bills paid.

This only goes to show that they’re getting desperate to grab as much money as possible. Just another nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned.

Even if the cop didn’t want to do it, his chief will demand it, his mayor will demand it. Use any and all “pretext” to take as much as possible. Like Captian Jack Sparrow and his chief says “Take all you can. Give nothing back.” Only these guys would give pirates a bad name.

10. Steven
    Steven June 9, 2016 10:56 am

I can’t believe they failed to mention The Princess Bride. Inconceivable!!!

11. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack June 9, 2016 2:10 pm

It should not be a surprise (particularly after today’s 9th Circuit Ruling) that box four is in the conversation. You can’t just expect to grab folks dough without consequences.

MamaLiberty June 9, 2016 3:04 pm

Far more than just money, Wurdack! The theft is so widespread that very little is untouched. How about grabbing our children? Our businesses and industries, our healthcare, our very ability to care for and defend our families and loved ones?

The surprise is that the lamp posts were not decorated with rope and politicians a LONG time ago.

13. Laird
    Laird June 9, 2016 6:57 pm

Regarding that 9th Circuit concealed carry decision (which should surprise no one, given the history of that Circuit), I would argue that since the 2nd Amendment unambiguously recognizes the right to keep and bear arms (which the Supreme Court has already confirmed is a personal right), this ruling necessarily authorizes permitless open carry. There can be no other rational interpretation.

Thanks, Californians!

14. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack June 10, 2016 6:46 am

I have been saying that there are a million fuses out there just waiting to be lit…