Sunday-Monday links

• Yet another way cynical, opportunistic cops (and governments in general) quash our desires to be kind to our fellow man. Foul parasites. And apparently Canadian sneaks are no better than U.S. sneaks. (H/T JB)
  • Ohhhhh gawwwwwwd. Not agaiiiiiin. First Sudafed goes behind the counter and gets your name into a police registry. Now over-the-counter diahhrea meds — yes, Immodium, of all things — get targeted as part of Dreaded Scourge of Opiod Abuse.
  • It’s one thing to carry your heart on your sleeve. Entirely another to carry your heart on your back for over a year.
  • Well, I wouldn’t v*te for Trump if somebody put a gun to my head. But even so, being a gay, Hispanic Trump supporter doesn’t merit having your nose broken by leftist thugs.
  • People have called Windows 10 malware. But I figured that was figurative. Turns out that, given its recent, extremely deceptive sneak-install behavior, it actually is malware, by Microsoft’s own definition. MS’s vile sneakery has been confirmed by knowledgeable sources. Beware any pop-ups from MS!
  • Fascinating. The FDA and Interpol want to abolish 4,402 international websites selling prescription drugs. This is based on confiscation of 797 parcels in a brief recent period. Think on it. What does that number tell you about the number of parcels that have gotten quietly and safely to customers all this time — customers who are apparently happy with their confidential, and money-saving purchases. People who will want to make similar purchases in the future. Um … good luck with that, bureaucops.
  • And speaking of confidentiality (or lack thereof) in prescription drug purchasing … the DEA now wants warrantless access to your legal drug records. AND might hassle or arrest you for perfectly legal activity. (H/T to everybody who sent me this link; I already had it, which just goes to show you this is one to pay real serious attention to, even if you blow off everything else you see here today.)
  • Remember the story in our last links post about cops having a new device to let them steal more money during traffic stops? Thought you might be interested in the Department of (Achtung!) Homeland Security’s more favorable take on it. (And what is it they say about the differences between theory and reality again …?) Alas, the courts, as usual, take the pro-gov line in such matters.
  • I’m sorry that today’s links have contained so many downers and nothing in the area of nooz you can use. At least we can end on a note of good cheer, courtesy of MJR. Here’s another of those optimistic post-TSHTF flash stories: “Hills” by Joe Miles.

Joel June 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Awww, crap. Now I’ve got to stock up on Immodium?

And who the hell came up with “opioid?” Never heard that word in my life until I started getting flogged with it every time I turn around.

2. LarryA
    LarryA June 12, 2016 3:26 pm

In addition to internal testing, the Prepaid Card Reader was employed in a recent operation when law enforcement seized approximately 1,000 cards from a suspected drug trafficker. With this technology they were able to identify more than $48,000 in funds that were loaded onto the cards.

Um. “Drug trafficker” carries 1,000 cards with an average balance of $48? Right. Nothing fishy about that story.

OTOH someone can take, say, a library card and reprogram the magnetic strip to carry other sorts of information? And Claire said it was “nothing in the area of nooz you can use?”

(Dear Feds: I wouldn’t have any need to or be able to figure out how, of course.)

Windows 10 takes everything that actually worked in Windows 7, and improves it to death.

Pat June 12, 2016 4:05 pm

“Opioid” could mean anything – or nothing.

I’m sure the DEA will be drooling over cannabis users in their database.

Including legal and illegal drugs, this could broaden the DEA power base over the entire pharmaceutical world – even to eventually encompass the natural/herbal/vitamin-mineral/aromatherapy components too, which will get them into health food and grocery stores. (Guess I’ll stock up on Dr. Bonner’s liquid castile soap; it has hemp oil in it, as well as other herbal oils – dangerous stuff!)

4. Fred
    Fred June 12, 2016 4:21 pm

It’s the same as the cops stopping you and taking all of your gasoline. It’s not a fourth amendment violation, it’s a gas tank. Duh.

5. Jim B.
    Jim B. June 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Depends on what you want to use the pre-paid cards for. If it’s for online purchases, then record the numbers somehow (on the phones they can’t crack easily, maybe?) and destroy the cards.

How would they know if you got pre-paid cards if you don’t have the actual cards? Obviously hide them someplace until you need to use them, the most dangerous time is likely to be in transit.

6. jed
    jed June 13, 2016 7:49 am

Yes, Windows is malware. You have to wonder just what it is Microsoft will do with LinkedIn. Makes me even more glad I don’t use it.

It’s a bit sad, really, when you think of all the cool things we could be doing with our computers, and yet big corporations just want to suck it all in and control it. I’m thinking I should dig up Larry Lessig’s Code, and Other Laws of Cyberspace and read it again. And anyone who wants to go underground with their social networking will be a suspected terrorist.

How long will it be before doing anything to protect your privacy will be a crime? Use a non-sanctioned VPN? Use encryption? Use cash? What are you trying to hide, citizen?

MamaLiberty June 13, 2016 9:08 am

I’ve never used Imodium for diarrhea, though I’ve had patients who did. Try the BRAT diet instead. https://tinyurl.com/6pqhbov

[quote]
    The BRAT diet is a bland-food diet that is often recommended for adults and children. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. The BRAT diet can help you recover from an upset stomach or diarrhea
    [/quote]

Ginger tea along with it is also helpful for the upset stomach part. I don’t use chemical medicine much at all now, and there are usually natural things you can do that work as well or better. Most just require a bit more effort than opening a pill container or bottle. 🙂