Mike is gone

This post will be updated as the day goes on and new tributes come in.

Mike Vanderboegh, RIP. He lived well and passionately. A grand Outlaw. We owe him much.

So far, I have only a mainstream media account with the usual prejudices. But I’m sure many, many tributes will be pouring in from the gun and freedomista communities soon and I’ll post some of them here.

David Codrea who, as always, is the first to have word about his friend Mike has already posted and promises more information later today.

UPDATES:

Carl-Bear Bussjaeger wrote a moving tribute to Mike for The Zelman Partisans.

Per David Codrea again: Sipsey Street has made a statement, but so far only via FB. Still awaiting a statement on the Sipsey Street blog. (Here’s the announcement on the Sipsey Street blog.)

Honoring the family’s request, here’s the Nyberg flag marked with a mourning band for Mike:

nyberg-iii-flag

In his Ammoland column, David writes a longer tribute to Mike. (And the Oath Keepers version of the same column with an afterword from Stewart Rhodes.)

Services will be on Saturday.

And Mark Call features Mike, largely in Mike’s own words, at the beginning of his Thursday, August 11 show.

Even Sebastian of “Shall Not Be Questioned” (who had mega disagreements with Mike), has an appreciation.

From the family: the time and place of the funeral — which is open to the public, should you happen to be in the area.

Finally, 8/15/16: Mike’s son Matt sums up notable tributes, including some “anti-tributes” by Mike’s opponents.

1. M
    M August 10, 2016 10:42 am

It was less prejudiced than I thought it would be. But even when you know it’s coming, it’s a kick in the gut.

Too much time on F*cebook and too many “friends” with the vapors over Trump’s recent 2A comments, and too many freedom advocates – of the outlaw and legislated varieties – giving up or making distinctly anti-freedom statements. This hits right at one of those periods of burnout that you’ve so eloquently described before, when you feel like it’s just easier to give in. The “f*ck it, I give up” periods.

And another name on the list of people I should have made the time to meet.

Maybe I’ll mail a magazine in his memory.

Joel August 10, 2016 10:47 am

Well, hell. We’ve known it was coming since January, but still somehow it’s a shock.

MamaLiberty August 10, 2016 11:09 am

Mike and I had several very interesting conversations (email). I didn’t agreed with him about a number of things, including the authority of the “constitution,” of course, but always respected his integrity and consistency. The basis for the 3% non-organization was one of the best strategies for individual liberty I’ve ever seen, and I hope many will continue in that as his greatest legacy. I know that I will.

Rest in peace, Mike. Indeed.

Claire August 10, 2016 12:58 pm

“It was less prejudiced than I thought it would be.”

M, on second reading, I agree. In my first quick skim, I saw the quotes about Mike’s ideas being “dangerous” and so on, but of course that was just the reporter doing her best to give differing viewpoints on a controversial guy. As with so many obits of public people, that one was prepared in advance and David Codrea says Ms Thomas even ran it by Mike.

5. LarryA
    LarryA August 10, 2016 1:14 pm

[Taps]

6. jed
    jed August 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Mike was one of the greatest patriots of our generation. Even while weakened from the cancer, and often fighting visits from the black dog, he just kept going.

7. M
    M August 10, 2016 9:25 pm

I never agreed with him on religion, nor on the *authority* of the Constitution.

But as I keep trying to get people to understand, it’s the compromise that was worked out that you (they – Bernie supporter and “redistributionist”) don’t like, and I (individualist/voluntaryist) don’t like, but it’s what keeps you from killing me and me from killing you…So don’t go wishing things like the 2nd Amendment away, as alterations of the “deal” have consequences.

8. AG
    AG August 11, 2016 9:05 am

The Zelman link doesn’t seem to be working.

Claire August 11, 2016 9:17 am

Oops. Fixed now!

10. Mark Call
    Mark Call August 11, 2016 9:54 am

I began my daily news show today with a tribute to Mike; mostly via his own words.

May he rest in peace.

(It won’t be up still for a couple of hours: http://www.hebrewnationonline.com)

Claire August 11, 2016 11:18 am

Thank you, Mark. I’m overdue to listen to your show and I’ll put the link to the most recent show into the post.

Claire August 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks, Mark. I’ll put it into the main post right now, in case people don’t make it down this far to find it in comments.

Comrade X August 11, 2016 9:18 pm

I am very proud to say that I knew Mike and can refer to him as a friend.

As long as there are those of us who call ourselves lll% & live by Mike’s code, Mike will never die.