Midweek links

• Okay, in the great debate over victim disarmament, this is trivial. But still: “Get out of gun control, Apple.”
  • Uh oh. All those Loompanicsy books and articles about hiding stuff in your walls just got even more obsolete than they already were. Nifty app for home remodelers, though. (H/T MJR)
  • What a beautiful and unusual piece. Wendy McElroy talks about her experiences as a homeless teenager in “Try a Little Tenderness.”
  • Well, thank you, Jim Bovard.
  • Pretty funny: How a hacker scammed the scammers who tried to rip off his parents. (Here’s his full blog entry about it.)
  • If there were frugalista olympics, this family of 15 would surely be contenders.
  • Nicki on choosing to die when suffering is beyond tolerable.
  • A Goebbels propaganda secretary echoes Sergeant Schultz from Hogan’s Heroes: “I knew nussing.”
  • I know this hilarious story of the Roomba “pooptastrophe” is making the rounds. And it is pretty funny. Having once borrowed friends’ Roomba for several weeks, I can easily see it happening. What I find harder to believe (and sorry, guys; I know this isn’t going to endear me to you) is that the husband who discovered the colossal mid-night mess cleaned it up himself instead of waking his wife to do it.
  • Faced with a wall? Build a bridge.

1. LarryA
    LarryA August 17, 2016 11:01 am

Oh ye of little faith.
    I don’t know of many husbands who would wake their wives up in the middle of the night to clean up such a mess. Certainly no long-term ones.

Claire August 17, 2016 11:28 am

“Go back to bed and pretend they didn’t know about it maybe. But waking her up is just stupid. And dangerous.”

Hm. You got a definite point there, LarryA.

Pat August 17, 2016 11:48 am

I totally agree with Nicki re: dying. I’ve seen too many people in pain and misery to ever take their choices lightly.

I was appalled the first contact I had (many years ago) with a doctor who refused to let a terminal patient die; she suffered two weeks longer than necessary as a result. Even today there is too much interference from the religious viewpoint (a Catholic doctor who doesn’t believe in suicide), and the sense of “failure” from a medical POV because doctors should get patients well at all costs, and deaths add to a hospital’s vital statistics and thus affect their “reputation.” That’s the beauty (if I can call it that) of hospices today – they allow the reality of the patient’s condition to dictate the form of treatment and timing of death.

As for friends and family, I read that article about Betsy Davis earlier and was delighted with the way it was handled, allowing her to make the choice. The party seemed more like a (refined) Irish wake rather than a death bed scene.

Comrade X August 18, 2016 10:57 am

Something everyone might enjoy;

5. Keypounder
    Keypounder August 21, 2016 6:49 am

the Walabot runs on 3.3 to 10.3 Ghz; essentially it uses a compact radar array to image the immediate area in front of it. Interesting tech, but it can be easily foiled (pun intended!) by placing a layer of aluminum foil just below the sheathing (GWB or plywood) Anyone familiar with Tempest rated enclosures or Faraday cages generally will know how to limit this tech. Another way is to simply jam it with a louder signal…….

Claire August 21, 2016 7:31 am

One problem with the “tinfoil” approach, Keypounder, is that if you only use a patch of it where you’ve hidden something, you’ve totally given away the location of your stash anyhow.

And if you’re rich enough or crazy enough to put a “tinfoil hat” on all the walls of your house, you’re inviting thugs (particularly thugs with badges) to tear apart your entire home — something they love to do, given any excuse. Besides which, you may even limit your own ability to find studs or other elements inside your walls that you yourself might need in a remodeling project, or even merely to hang pictures.

7. Keypounder
    Keypounder August 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Claire:

For every measure, there is a countermeasure, and for every countermeasure, yet another measure to defeat that. The cycle continues apace; the key is to deny the enemy the advantage of the initiative, and get inside their OODA loop. In this particular instance, having the ability to deny an enemy the ability to scan the interior of your residence may disrupt their OODA loop enough to give you at least a momentary advantage. Foil is not only good at disrupting radar, it is also good at reflecting IR, too, so those long wavelength IR scanners get befuddled as well, a twofer.

Keep in mind that foil faced insulation, both fiberglass batts and foamboard, is a standard building material, and not at all suspicious. If you put the foil on the exterior face of the building, then you would still have the ability to image from the inside, unless you used a double layer of insulation, such as any energy conserving person might do. I wouldn’t go to the trouble of removing my exterior sheathing to install a foil vapor barrier, but if you were remodeling anything, it’s trivial to add some foil faced insulation. Might even still be an energy saving tax credit, who knows? I can think of at least 4 different ways offhand to defeat this tech, the foil being only one of those.

As far as increasing the odds that thugs with badges would destroy your home, why would they need an excuse? They don’t now……. and the more time they spend fruitlessly searching for things that aren’t there, the better for us all, no?
    Every piece of drywall needlessly shattered is another blow struck by TyrFor against their own legitimacy. My insisting on my own privacy is not an invitation for an evil person to do anything; action taken as a result is ENTIRELY their own.
    You, of all people, ought to know that.

8. AG
    AG August 24, 2016 3:49 am

I should add that the openings scene- and a few others – are a bit graphic.