Friday links

1. Desertrat
    Desertrat September 2, 2016 10:16 am

A Devil’s Advocate moment: Think about the coaches’ viewpoints, and then recall the frequency of news reports of criminal behavior by college football players. In today’s world, coaches are running scared of all manner of social problems. For some coaches, a ban seems like the easiest way to avoid a problem.

I’m not saying that I approve. I just look for reasons.

Claire September 2, 2016 11:03 am

Sorry, Desertrat. I’m not buying it. If he’s worried about injury, liability, or bad publicity, why isn’t the coach also banning knives, baseball bats, liquor, cars, sex, and all the other things attitudinal young men use to get in trouble?

And good stats, LarryA!

3. Desertrat
    Desertrat September 2, 2016 11:07 am

I’m just talking about what I think is the coach’s reasoning. I didn’t say I thought it was rational or workable. 🙂

Claire September 2, 2016 11:24 am

True, that. I’d add, though, that I don’t believe the coach is exactly reasoning at all. Just jerking his knee.

5. Desertrat
    Desertrat September 2, 2016 11:33 am

Well, pity the poor coach. He’s dealing with a big bunch of age 18 to 22 guys, loaded with testosterone and all loving physical contact. Many are not the brightest stars in the heavens. Some of these guys would put on pads and block light poles. And he’s trying to “Win one for the alumni-checkbook Gipper”.

Probably feebly attempting to cope with booze and sex, etc., as well.

Me, I’d rather herd jackrabbits.

Claire September 2, 2016 12:06 pm

“Win one for the alumni-checkbook Gipper”.

Ayup.

7. LarryA
    LarryA September 2, 2016 1:25 pm

Wait! What? But, But
    Football Builds Character! Football Promotes Sportsmanship! Football Teaches Teamwork! Football Prepares The Young Athletes Of Today For Leadership Roles Tomorrow!
    Sez so onna label.