A vacation from the dog. Plus Dragon Mark III.

Three days without Ava. As a special treat for myself, I dropped Her Royal Highness Princess Ava Prettypaws off at Furrydoc’s this morning.

Ava is the most willing and loyal dog I’ve ever had. That girl lives to please. But along with that package of goodness comes extreme clinginess, hyper-vigilance, constant attention-seeking, and a seeming belief that every time I so much as twitch a muscle I’m either going to a) take her on a glorious adventure; b) feed her; c) throw a toy for her; or d) heartlessly abandon her in cruel Dickensian style. I literally can’t shift my weight in my chair without her leaping up, gazing desperately at me, and preparing for any one of the four possible alternatives. In 11 years, the concept that I might actually just be … shifting my weight in my chair, so you really don’t have to do anything about it, Ava … has never dawned on her.

Once in a while, I need a break from such 24/7 intensity. Summertime I can take mini-vacations by putting her in the yard for a couple of hours (aka heartlessly abandoning her in cruel Dickensian style). But now that the rains are here, there’s no escaping.

Oh, don’t get me wrong; I love that dog. But …

They can love her at Furrydoc’s place for three days. Me? I’m going to lounge, read, eat, take long baths, work — and generally try to rid myself of the feeling that every time I move I’m likely to trip over the damn clingy pooch.

I also finished another dragon:

dragonscarf-01_100316

dragonscarf-02_100316

dragonscarf-03_100316

Finally, after the third try at dragon-crafting, I grokked what the pattern was trying to tell me about how to knit that tail barb properly. I have now officially conquered dragons.

It’s time to overcome spiral tube socks.

But no matter what, I am going to enjoy three days without that lovable ball of canine desperation.

Pat October 3, 2016 3:00 pm

That’s a pretty dragon; I like the colors. In your old age you can sit and rock and make dragons to sell — with another Ava under your feet.

2. John
    John October 3, 2016 3:59 pm

Multi blending colors full head warming scare the little kids don’t walk into the bank that way knit dragoon – mark III.

(With some real flame breathing, would be fun!)

3. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal October 3, 2016 8:25 pm

More like a Dragon Skin. Very cute.

MamaLiberty October 4, 2016 3:49 am

Love the new dragon! 🙂

Joel October 4, 2016 10:26 am

“You’re staring. Stop staring.”

Ghost would do this, try to guilt me out of my chair and into something more entertaining. If the staring didn’t work he’d escalate to dramatic sighs and then to constant, barely-audible whining.

Little Bear just wants to be where I am. If he comes over for attention, about half the time it’s something he really needs. The other half what he “really needs” is a belly rub, and he can’t or won’t behave as if there’s a difference. I totally get the need for a break.

6. Laird
    Laird October 4, 2016 12:28 pm

You probably gave this information before and I missed it, but where did you find the dragon pattern?

Claire October 4, 2016 1:03 pm

Laird — The dragon pattern is here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-dragons-tale. It’s not a freebie, but since making dragons is so addictive and friends like to get them, I consider it well worth the $5.50.

It’s intermediate level, if the knitter in your family is interested.

8. AG
    AG October 6, 2016 1:09 am

A nice lecture on Art Nouveau. The first two mins have scrolling text on the screen setting he background and context of the lecture up. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YQKnG7KbZVY