Manning to go free!

I didn’t think he’d do it. But Obama just commuted Chelsea Manning’s sentence.

Manning is set to go free on May 17. Here’s another link in case the one in the first paragraph gives you trouble, as it’s momentarily giving me.)

This is a commutation, not a pardon. The sentence is cut short, but Manning remains a convicted criminal with all the loss of rights and other problems and stigmas that entails. But this is what she’d asked for, the best she’d hoped for.

Hm. Now I wonder if Assange will agree to that extradition to the U.S.?

1. Bear
    Bear January 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Assange said he’d agree to extradition if Manning was pardoned.

2. Shel
    Shel January 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Clearly, Obama wants to make Assange pay for costing them the election. He’s an extremely spiteful person, plus he’s a globalist and they want Assange badly. He cares no more about what Manning revealed than about what Hillary did; I suspect he rather liked it. Now he has one more day (and change) to let Bergdahl off.

3. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran January 17, 2017 4:31 pm

I’ve already shared with you how I felt about what Bradley/Chelsea did, Claire. Obama inadvertently did us all a favor. Now we taxpayers won’t have to pay for his/her sex change operation.

Claire January 17, 2017 7:30 pm

r_v — I guess that’s as good a reason as any to be glad Manning will soon be free.

I hope s/he has some good support on the outside because I suspect that’s life’s still not going to be easy. I don’t think it ever was for her or ever will be.

MamaLiberty January 18, 2017 4:08 am

So, stripped of most civil rights, hated and demonized by a large number of “patriots,” emotionally and mentally ill, and no doubt with crushing debt… “Free?” I don’t think so. S/he would not have as much freedom as the rest of us, even with a “pardon.” Of course, revealing evil and telling the truth should never be considered a crime, so there is actually nothing to pardon… but that’s a different discussion.

I feel very sorry for Manning and hope that those who have been calling for release are actually willing to help and protect Manning.

6. Desertrat
    Desertrat January 18, 2017 6:48 am

I doubt that the anti-Saddam Iraqis who died as a result of Manning’s leaks thought that they were doing evil deeds. And cleaning up the security protocols and re-writing a ton of code cost a few billion tax dollars.

7. cm1
    cm1 January 18, 2017 7:21 am

As well, no longer being president, Obama is liking leaks much better.

Claire January 18, 2017 8:19 am

Desertrat — Please provide evidence that Manning’s leaks got people killed. As far as I know, this charge originated with Judith Miller, the professional liar who helped provoke the Iraq war, and whose claims have been repeatedly debunked. But if you have evidence that I don’t have, I’d like to examine it.

We certainly do know that the U.S. war crimes Manning revealed killed innocent people. Deliberately, cynically, and criminally killed innocents. The video evidence is unmistakable, but far as I know none of these criminals or their handlers have been charged for their deeds. https://collateralmurder.wikileaks.org/

MamaLiberty January 18, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks, Claire. I wanted to say that, but you did a much better job. 🙂

10. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 18, 2017 8:47 am

From what I read he didn’t create a breach. The “security” protocols Manning violated obviously needed to be stronger, and just as obviously weren’t about to be revised until they were publicly exposed as a joke.

It’s a story we’ve heard time and again in government security circles.