I didn’t figure the Monk would be up for resuming the Great Foundation and Screen Porch Project until later this week. But when he texted this morning to say he’d be here, all was good. It’s the most gorgeous day of the year so far. If he’s up for it, I’m up for it.
We’ve certainly had the best day’s progress.
First, the Monk tore out the most rotted corner.
This corner was already well-supported by temporary posts and jacks.
Once the corner was off, we placed the first permanent support. Well, not quite permanent because when the floor beams and joists go in, this post will momentarily be pulled out again so that all the new elements can be cut and bolted together. But this is the post, in its actual position, that will become the outside corner of the screen porch.
Once everything was supported and stabilized, it was time for the destruction derby. The Monk cut the wall in half horizontally, then pulled and pushed the bottom portion until it fell to the ground.
We really expected the wall to fall off in one piece because — as I’m mentioned before — it was a structural element, therefore it was (shall we say) casually attached. The wall was held on only by seven nails at the top and two at the bottom. Nothing held it to the sides of the room.
Yet it wouldn’t fall. And wouldn’t fall. And wouldn’t fall even after the floor and all foundation support was removed from under it and it was just hanging in space. It took some doing even to get the wall down in two pieces. My camera caught the second, upper piece, at the moment it finally dropped.
You wonder why a wall so loosely attached would be such a bear to pull off? If you’ve been reading my house posts, you can probably guess. Here’s a clue:
That’s a piece of the original sheathing. See those nails poking through every couple of inches? They’re typical of the way the old-fashioned fiberboard siding was fastened on. Many, many, many, many, many, many nails. The usual thing around here. Structural element? Hey, a couple of nails will do. Non-structural? Nail the dickens out of it.
Yes, the only thing holding the wall on after we removed the foundation and floor was a bit of old fiberboard. But boy, it wasn’t letting go for anything.
Despite his machete wound, the Monk put in (and is still putting in) a solid, very productive, day’s work. It was a fairly heavy day of minioning for me, also. My biggest job was to clean up. Lot of cleanup. I helped operate the housejacks and measured and plumbed. I also got to use the sawz-all, which I’ve never done before. Rough piece of equipment, but a godsend for household destruction. After that, I had a greater appreciation for the effort the Monk put into using it.
Once the wall was down, the Monk made quick work of the remaining floor joists, then we both cleaned up rubble. And now I have a room with a view.