Thursday links

Pat March 15, 2018 6:48 am

“Exercise isn’t a cure-all, and antidepressants aren’t a scam.”

It might be, and they often are.

But it’s not only “active” exercise that helps depression – just walking, getting outside in fresh air, paying attention to your surroundings can help. Tuning in to the physical reality of Mother Nature often brings you down to earth and lifts your spirits at the same time, so you can focus better on the depression-causing problem rather than giving in to the mood you inherit from it.

2. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran March 15, 2018 7:29 am

I can attest the exercise does help in pushing back the blues. I’ve gotten back into a regular routine of exercise and am feeling better, not only physically, but mentally as well!

3. stencil
    stencil March 15, 2018 9:22 am

The Hillary video – judging by the way her feet were sliding around while her attendants were surefooted, i”d guess that the only problem was that she was wearing silk slippers.

Claire March 15, 2018 9:35 am

I think the problem is that Hillary has a detailed recent history of falls and near-falls (that have even included brain and limb injuries) and she and her handlers are lying about her health.

She’s been caught on camera multiple times nearly face-planting and I don’t think she wears silk slippers that often.

(Thank heaven she’s nominally a private citizen now and we don’t have to worry about what’s really ailing her.)

5. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry March 15, 2018 12:16 pm

United is known by some expats as Ameroflot.

Many others refrain from the expression, as Aeroflot is unlikely to smash your guitar or kill your dog, although at least on the Moscow end the cops are mean and corrupt enough that having your seat given to a Legislathingy or being dragged out unconscious are also risks.

6. larryarnold
    larryarnold March 15, 2018 1:02 pm

It sounds like Theranos got in a hole, and Holmes tried to dig her way out.

To be fair, United had the correct destinations, but switched dogs. That’s a lot easier to do than sending something to the wrong place. Heck, sometimes I called my daughters by each other’s names. And, yeah, they were as different as German Shepherds and Great Danes.

Math are hard! It reminds me of references to San Antonio’s “65% Hispanic minority.”

Personally, just getting outside helps, and I don’t do enough of it.

7. joseph mahoney
    joseph mahoney March 15, 2018 1:02 pm

I managed to walk off almost 100 lbs but was still dealing with sever depression and PTSD after a 13 year career as an EMT and before that 7 years as an CNA in Long Term Care. I was in counseling, but they kept pushing the anti depressants. Now 2 months in I have developed an extreme sun sensitivity. So now walking daily is an issue as I live in AZ. The Psych Dr said it was in the literature with the meds as a possible side effect but other than that how do you feel? With a totally straight face.

8. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook March 15, 2018 1:20 pm

What do you mean, that doctors don’t prescribe exercise to treat depression? I do. I recommend it as a valuable adjunct to other things that I do.
    I love math. It’s fun. So are physics and chemistry. Physiology is the best; the creme de la creme. I remember once figuring out the binding energy of all the nuclei in the water of a certain size swimming pool, just for yucks. I reread my general chemistry textbook from my premed years about 5 years ago, and I reread Guyton’s Textbook of Medical Physiology after that. I even bought the newer edition to do it. There were descriptions of some enormously complex biological systems, that reconfirm my belief that we were designed by a Creator, after which the authors said silly things like “it is fortuitous that this occurs,” or “we are fortunate to have …” when it is, to me, obvious that we could not have randomly evolved to these complex systems. All spontaneous reactions lead to an increase in entropy (disorder). That second law of thermodynamics is undisputed among chemists and physicists, as far as I know. So how could we have spontaneously evolved from random muck, or simple compounds like ammonia, methane, etc., into such incredibly organized systems? Even a single cell is enormously complex. The odds would have been far greater that you could put a bunch of monkeys into a room of musical instruments and they randomly produce Beethoven’s 5th Symphony. Physiology, to me, is spiritually uplifting. 40%, or a majority, of doctors feel the same way.

Claire March 15, 2018 1:41 pm

“40%, or a majority, of doctors feel the same way.”

🙂

10. david
    david March 15, 2018 1:49 pm

I have to wonder if “disparagingly and inaccurately” are one thing in two parts, or two separate things of which one may be true or both true or both untrue. Disparagingly seems to be a value judgement – but if her observations are correct, it’s not a negative thing it’s just Truth. If she’s inaccurate, then she’s wrong. But if she’s not wrong, then ‘disparagingly’ isn’t negative and should be thought of as a pointed-out opportunity to improve something – student selection or student attitudes for example.

Facts are facts. I want to see the stats for all students in the class, with both their race ID and their performance, by semester. THAT will determine who is trying and who is lying.

11. david
    david March 15, 2018 2:33 pm

I’m sure one could make a wonderful Hail to the Chief video of Hillary – with snippets of all her best moments… falling down steps, slurring her words, insulting virtually everybody by picking out somebody to deride at every location where she speaks, denying knowledge of crimes, denying she intended to circumvent Dep’t of State procedures with her personal email, race-baiting, and barking like a little dog. I think it would be a great project for someone with more time and better internet and video-editing skills than myself.

12. fred
    fred March 17, 2018 3:14 am

How many falls is this, now? And did anybody notice how bloated Hillary looks in all the pix from her India trip? This is not a well woman.
    ======================================
    I wont miss her,thats for sure.