Monday-Tuesday links

Joel May 21, 2018 4:24 pm

“Yet this calculus – Political success is a prerequisite to a better life – remains progressive orthodoxy today.”

I remember that when I heard the slogan for Coleman Young’s last – fifth – Detroit Mayoral campaign in 1989, I laughed to keep from crying. It was “Power For Tomorrow,” same as all the other times. At that point he’d been Mayor for 16 years, and Detroit was a collection of ruins surrounding a few heavily guarded buildings or enclaves where Blacks, who mostly lived in the ruins, really weren’t especially welcome. They re-elected him anyway.

To this day I’m still wrestling with whatever that was supposed to teach me, except “Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voting public.” Most of the really successful people I’ve known are studiously non-political, though I understand actual politicians mostly do well for themselves.

2. Ken Hagler
    Ken Hagler May 21, 2018 5:37 pm

I’d like to see Uber release the records of the “Uber drivers” involved in that lawsuit. I suspect it would turn out that they’ve done little or no driving and have a history of working for the taxi cartels.

Comrade X May 21, 2018 6:13 pm

And the Amish know football:

4. Jim B.
    Jim B. May 21, 2018 9:16 pm

There’s also a related issue to where all the Dads go, look up MGTOW. Helen Smith wrote a book related to it.

5. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson May 22, 2018 4:23 am

The school shooting phenomenon is closely related to ostracism. As much as the the Parkland activists want to shame adults for the shootings, the fact is that almost without exception the school shooters were marginalized by their peers until provoked into a murderous rage. So when I hear David Hogg lecture adults about how WE have created a dangerous school environment, I beg to differ. Where were David and his friends when the shooters were being teased, hazed, and rejected by their peers? The responsibility for the toxic social stew that breeds these callous shooters falls onto the shoulders of Hogg et al. (And the school officials who are blind to the Lord of the Flies subculture operating under their noses.)

The article about Jordan Peterson…well…I wonder if the writer actually read Peterson’s material. He seems focused on “Make Your Bed” which was just a simplified condensation of a much deeper analysis (essentially telling the SJW’s to fix their own lives before trying to fix the world, and providing 10,000 years worth of tradition, philosophy, and religion, and a few million worth of evolution to support his thesis). The writer ponders why young men have latched onto Peterson’s message, speculating on various causes such as the absence of fathers. Perhaps, if he had read Peterson, he might have seen the perverse anti-male bias that Peterson is arguing against. The way I read the article, the writer has a grudging appreciation for the supposedly simple prescriptions in Peterson’s book, though he refers to it as banal, and he dismisses the readers who have been more deeply influenced as “Jordan Peterson fanboys”. That’s enough to shame potential readers from exploring any of his ideas.

6. deLaune
    deLaune May 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Ron is right. Greenfield put his foot in it with that article. He has either never watched a JBP video or he didn’t understand it. “Clean up your room” is code for “get your own life in order before trying to ‘fix’ the world.”

7. Not So Free
    Not So Free May 22, 2018 8:10 pm

I wouldn’t be too surprised if that LAPD dude disappeared without a trace sooner rather than later.