Tuesday links

1. Sara Wilson
    Sara Wilson June 19, 2018 10:18 am

HELP! I am trying to finalize my will and my attny. needs an address. Can you email me with some information? I’m not rich, but there might be a little something left, and I’m no spring chicken, so you never know.

Comrade X June 19, 2018 11:19 am

Every day is Sauntering Day for me!

Claire June 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Sara, I’ve emailed you. Let me know if you get my message. And thank you again more than I can say.

4. Shel
    Shel June 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Nature seems like such a sweet and peaceful place to those who don’t understand it seems that way only because we’re at the top of the food chain (in most places). It’s tough out there. I kind of think the butterfly knew it was not in a good place by the concrete and was sensible in trying to hold onto the hand. When it was forced to fly, it took off not knowing where to go and didn’t last long at all. There was a seal, I think, that was rescued after the Exon Valdez mess, cared for at a cost of $60k and released with great fanfare. It made it a couple hundred yards or so before an orca terminated the celebration.

In Florida there has been great concern about the survival prospects of the Florida Panther, a subspecies of mountain lion that is relatively shy and not aggressive. The usually sensible Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission decided the way to fix the problem was to bring in real mountain lions to breed with them. Now there are panthers showing up in the area of the Ocala National Forest,ween by me and a number of people I know. The stories are that the animals show no fear of humans. One, for example, was seen walking right up to the back of a house in broad daylight and acting as if it was very familiar with the surroundings. So now they’ve destroyed the Florida Panther as a subspecies, IMHO. I used to walk with my dog at night, since the black bears tend not to be a problem, but I won’t put her life at risk with mountain lions out there. One would be well served by having a Dogo, bred to hunt jaguars at night. They’re also very charismatic and sociable animals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino

5. Why
    Why June 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Had a request from one of your fans for an index to included in the back of future non fiction titles.

Claire June 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I’d love to have my books indexed. Unfortunately it costs about $1,000 to get it done. And the one time I let a client talk me into indexing my own book, I thought I was going to go mad. (And I didn’t even do that good a job.)

I’ll look into it; maybe new software has made it easier since then. But it’s a job for very patient, methodical people. Guess who totally fails to meet those criteria?

7. Why
    Why June 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Lol. Ok.

I’ve actually created a few before, just being OCDelightful.

But they were done gradually, over years.

As you can tell, I’m a lot of fun at cocktail parties.

8. jed
    jed June 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Cool targets. I have another downloadable printable target source bookmarked, but I’ll be damned if I can find it. Sigh, one day this year, maybe I’ll replace the dead printer. Another way to find some fun targets would be to look for old blog posts for the (I assume) now defunct gunbloggers postal matches. Some of those were wicked.

9. jc2k
    jc2k June 20, 2018 7:45 am

I don’t think there are any implications to the SPLC settlement. I don’t think they settled because they thought they would lose, I think they settled because they rely on donations for their gravy train to keep chugging along. They didn’t want the negative press to impact their bottom line.