Another good day’s work

Another good day’s work for The Wandering Monk and me …

The Monk was embarrassed that it took us 5-1/2 hours to create this simple-seeming frame for the porch cover. But doing so involved a lot of tricky decisions. We had to work around weird roof lines and Ye Olde Wreck’s general oddities. Two of our hours were occupied thinking out the technical problems and putting up a rough proof-of-concept version before heading to the lumberyard for final supplies.

We’ve done an amazing job salvaging materials on this and the earlier deck project. By the time we’re done with the steps tomorrow, we’ll be using up the last splinters of a whole lot of leftover lumber.

It’s going to be different from here on out. The last couple of years we’ve often had conversations like this:

Monk: Do you have six feet of cedar 1×6? (Or a treated 2×12. Or an 8-foot 2×4. Or a piece of 2″ metal flashing.)

Me. Sure. Lemme go find one. (Or “No, but I’ve got some 1×8; can we make that work?”)

From here on, we’re going to be having a lot more discussions like:

Monk: “Do you have …?”

Me: Nope. Have to put it on the lumberyard list.

The transparent acrylic porch cover won’t go on until late in summer because we have to work around and above it, putting up fascia boards, soffits, and gutters. But I’m delighted with our progress.

1. Larry Arnold
    Larry Arnold June 28, 2018 7:54 pm

“Measure twice; cut once.”
    My Dad.

Comrade X June 29, 2018 8:20 am

Great work.

Sketches with a “bill of material” works the best. The most important thing in manufacturing is having tools and required materials at hand before the job begins, part of the Lean manufacturing concept that is promoted now a days.

Joel June 29, 2018 8:44 am

Nice!

Then once it’s completely finished and pretty for the neighbors, you pave the deck surface with spike strips to discourage anyone from actually knocking on that door. Right?

Claire June 29, 2018 9:30 am

“you pave the deck surface with spike strips to discourage anyone from actually knocking on that door.”

You know me so well. 🙂

Claire June 29, 2018 9:32 am

“Sketches with a “bill of material” works the best.”

I can tell an old construction guy’s speaking.

I do try for that. The Monk laughs at my elaborate drawings on graph paper with notes about materials. And he laughs for good reason; because this house always gives us surprises that change the plans. Still, having those drawings and notes for starters does help.

Claire June 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Oh yeah. I never heard that — but that is SO exactly right. Thanks, Shel.