Poll: How often do you think of quitting the ‘Net?

Even if it’s impossible for you actually to quit …

How often to you think to yourself, “That’s it. I’m done with the Internet”?

Absolutely never. What a ridiculous idea!
Never, but I understand the temptation.
Rarely.
Maybe once a month.
Once a week — or more.
At least once a day.
Other
Please Specify:
Created with QuizMaker

As always, feel free to elaborate, vent, rant, question my (or your) sanity, etc. in comments.

1. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA August 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Much of man/woman/cis/trans/wtf knowledge and thoughts available with a mouse click. Shirley, you jest.

My paternal aunt was surely Shirley and she never jested, though.

Joel August 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Without the Internet how could I keep abreast of new developments in how bad I should feel about being a white male?

3. Zendo Deb
    Zendo Deb August 20, 2018 8:54 pm

F*c*b**K is more trouble than it’s worth. Twitter drives me crazy, so I spend less and less time with that.

As for some things the internet was more fun before Al Gore invented it. There was less info, but what there was you could believe.

And if there was a flame war on a bulletin board, people didn’t get all bent out of shape and run for their safe-spaces, they pushed back. And the BBS admins didn’t delete posts because they were politically incorrect.

I’m as far into the sticks as I can go, and have internet that is good enough to stream video. (On most days)

It is crazy expensive. I’ve had satellite internet in the past, and it works find for stuff like this, but it is even more expensive, and while you are able to stream video, I can’t afford they level of plan that enables that. Even so, I’m thinking I need to move back into the back of beyond and give up this whole connected life.

Does FB make us happy? Do we really have 100s of friends? Or is just a time-suck? Ditto on Twitter/LinkedIn/whatever. (Though I guess LinkedIn can have some use in job hunting etc.)

I would spend less time doing nothing – streaming video, etc. More time living.

4. DistOne
    DistOne August 21, 2018 5:08 am

Certain “news” sites are unreadable and I ignore them. Certain opinion sites are infuriating and I talk back occasionally. Certain other sites are dangerous snoops and I have them blocked. For actual information that I need or am curious about, the Internet is still the greatest invention in mankind’s history.

5. free.and.true
    free.and.true August 21, 2018 6:25 am

The ‘net is still a most valuable tool for communication and knowledge exchange. I can’t see ever giving up those aspects permanently.

But I do think seriously of cancelling my $85/month on-demand phone/internet access (high speed DSL, as I too am in the sticks, with nary even a reliable cellular signal). The damned connection has been quite problematic in recent months anyway — turns out the buried cable is going bad and the company is reportedly too cheap to replace it.

Then I’d just get online at the library or coffeeshop in town once or twice a week to do the necessary and important surfing.

The fact is, I was more productive, more self-reliant, and just plain happier here in my little hermit-shack in the months before I got the place wired. I read tons of good books and watched DVDs. I wrote. I cleaned more thoroughly. I got sh*t done.

I think I respected myself more, too; life felt “cleaner” somehow.

6. Thomas L. Knapp
    Thomas L. Knapp August 21, 2018 7:18 am

About once a month, I think about quitting the Internet. Not so much for the sake of quitting the Internet, but because what I’m thinking about is my desire to quit almost everything and take a long walk or bike ride (from, say, St. Augustine, Florida to San Francisco, California).

But, of course, I would have to finance such a long walk or bicycle ride. And since pretty much all I know how to do these days is write and edit, and since I do that on the Internet, I’m guessing I’d need to carry a laptop and work online at least four hours a day even while traveling in order to buy food and such. Sigh.

7. ILTim
    ILTim August 21, 2018 9:05 am

Quit….. what? Just internet, or all electricity? Sorry but “quit the net” sounds like “become Amish” – its merely a reality of our day.

Now, if you say, quit Facebook, or Quit reading news stories, that’s more meaningful.

8. fred
    fred August 21, 2018 9:26 am

Hi.My name is fred and Im a netoholic

Comrade X August 21, 2018 10:31 am

+1 on what Joel said.

10. patrick jay fowler
    patrick jay fowler August 21, 2018 12:15 pm

When I think about what was available 50 years ago ( for me @ 15 years old , 2 newspapers ,3 tv stations , 3 am radio stations , 2 fm stations , seriously in those days you could turn on the radio or tv after midnight sunday and just get static, that was it. ) The internet is ok if the user is willing to filter out the advertisers and controllers…what it does to kids is another story, when I was young father might just walk up and turn the radio or tv off and that was that…Patrick

11. Mike
    Mike August 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Every month or so, something tends to come along on Twitter/Facebook or various news sites on the WWW that boggles my feeble little brain to the point where I will turn off the personal confuser for a couple of days. During that time I tend to give serious consideration to simply hanging up the links and not bothering. Then, every so slowly I wade back into the maelstrom because I’m a news junkie. It’s better now than it was because I’m a little more cynical.

A while back I was whining to a friend about the crap I was seeing on the web, he sent me this:

While a very dry read, it does give some interesting views about the actors who are the major purveyors of bovine fecal matter on the web.

12. ~Qjay
    ~Qjay August 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Quitting the ‘net? Rarely.
    Reducing it, quite a bit.

I seem to be spending a lot of time researching all of the things I want to do, and less time doing them.
    Part of it is injury, part of it is wanting to do things well when I do them, and part of it is love of research.
    That said, I could live without it, but I’d miss it.

13. fred
    fred August 23, 2018 12:07 pm

We have more knowledge at our fingertips than anyone has ever had in history.

We have entertainment a King couldnt get in his day.

Im keeping it.My epitaph will be….he died with his monitor on.

14. fred
    fred August 23, 2018 12:28 pm

====================
    Hmmmm….and I see that pdf as bovine fecal matter.What a propaganda rag that story is,20 pages in and Im done with that!! I’ll make my own calls,dont need any gov doing so for me.And I sure as hell dont vote based on a website or twitter posting.

15. Frank
    Frank August 23, 2018 5:30 pm

While not ‘quitting the Internet’ I DID pull the plug on cable telly a month ago. I was paying $125/mo and only watched 8 channels and those only for major sporting events like the World Cup, Tour de France, Olympics, the soccer and softball games of the college I graduated from and that’s about it. No football, baseball, basketball, etc. Oh, and local weather. The charge DID include a DVR and that was essential because I seldom watch anything ‘live’.

No more worth $1,500/year.

I bought an HD antenna for about $20 and get the local weather plus about 45 additional channels that I do not watch. One of these days I might watch reruns of old shows I watched as a kid like Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, etc. since a couple of the ‘free’ channels air a lot of them but I despise commercials (they make ‘free’ telly free!) so probably will not since I no longer have a DVR and the ability to fast forward through commercials.

I CAN and HAVE watched some replays of games (US Women’s National Team soccer) and highlights of my team’s recent soccer matches on the Internet so at least I am not completely cut off!

I have never had nor will ever have an account with F*c*b**K, Tweeter or any of those types of things. I still have an old flip style phone, a pay per call/text, etc. phone that is almost always turned off. Another goal is to never have a ‘smart’ telly or any type of device like that in my home. Devices that can and do spy on us.

As for the Internet, I agree with another comment in that it is one of the greatest inventions of all time* and an extremely useful research tool. Consequently, it would be very, very difficult for me to give up. If I DO decide to move out to the country (thanks for the ‘stay or go’ articles!) an essential part of the planning, at least at this point in time, is to make darn sure that I will have access to the Internet and e-mail! Might be a dish, might be cellular but will have to be something (at least for now)! But the Left-leaning (waaaaaay to the Left!) ‘Tech Giants’ are censoring Liberty more and more and I fear there is no stopping them from completely taking over and shutting down everything they do not like.

Yet another comment mentioned the BB’s of the old days. Perhaps we could go back to those as a way of maintaining and spreading Liberty? Imagine in the future ‘rogue’ BB hosts all over the country! Perhaps even people printing text (or hand writing them) from the BB’s and passing them around – an American version of Samizdat!

OK, this is long enough. I have not commented in quite some time (but have been an occasional lurker) and these comments might make up for lost time! 😉

In Freedom,

Frank

*thanks, algore! 😉

16. progunfred
    progunfred August 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Almost daily I think to myself while idly surfing the webz; “This is stupid. It’s such a waste of time”. I’m right of course but it’s my own fault. Anybody can educate themselves in pretty much any topic for free on the net. My problem is my webpage selection or more accurately, the motive or laziness behind my selections.