Midweek links

1. Bear
    Bear September 12, 2018 6:12 am

TZP’s take on Leland, NC. They’ve finally fixed it, after being called out by multiple people and groups. But how/why did they make that “mistake” in violation of state law, even after a federal lawsuit?

2. david
    david September 12, 2018 6:25 am

If Leland, NC thinks gasoline is a ‘dangerous weapon’ that one cannot possess or transport, how the hell is anyone supposed to evacuate – on foot?

3. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook September 12, 2018 9:00 am

About that cop who shot a guy in his apartment, I think I have noticed a tendency. I have noticed that a lot of these cases of cops being quick to shoot seem to be with female cops. Am I correct in that, or do you think it is a misperception? It makes sense to me that a female cop would feel more threatened in a situation that might possibly lead to force, because she is physically much weaker than the person she is facing. If it comes to force, all she has is her gun, unless she is a very exceptional woman, like Ronda Rousey. So this Amber Guyger sees a big guy, and immediately fires, instead of trying to sort it out; whereas a bigger, stronger cop might approach him and physically engage if necessary.

4. enn ess
    enn ess September 12, 2018 9:50 am

Mr. Brook may have some validity to that argument. But I see it as the decline in our entire society of responsibility. To oneself and their actions, to responsibility towards others in society at large.
    When you have LEO responding to a guy with a knife and they shoot him 20-30 times (spray & pray if you can’t be accurate) there is something basically wrong in our society as a whole. After all, he has a knife, why not just walk up and whack the idiot with your batton if he won’t behave? Oh I forget, they don’t carry buttons anymore.

5. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit September 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Like one of Bear’s 2 scenarios, I’d want to see her blood alcohol level.
    PS. Love the doggie ones!

Comrade X September 12, 2018 4:35 pm

PS. Love the doggie ones!

+1 on them all.

This may have been said already but what I would like investigated is if the cop and her victim knew each other and if they had more than a passing relationship.

7. Georgene Lockwood
    Georgene Lockwood September 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Best way to handle the tariffs? Buy used or make it yourself. Better yet. Maybe you don’t need it.

8. More Midweek Links | 357 Magnum
    More Midweek Links | 357 Magnum September 13, 2018 5:31 am

[…] spending too much time on Hurricane Florence, and I almost missed this. Claire Wolfe’s Midweek links. Which starts off with the […]

9. david
    david September 13, 2018 4:29 pm

So, regarding our newly famous killer-cop, I have a few thoughts.

One, I recall hearing early on from TV news that she was alleged to have been drinking heavily just prior to the murder.

Two, drinking heavily would explain driving her car to the wrong floor – assuming she was drunk, and it wasn’t a move to set up a ‘wrong apartment’ alibi.

Three, drunk would be a possible reason to take 3 days for charges – it lets the joy-juice get out of the system.

Four – within one day of hearing the ‘drunk as a skunk’ story, it was changed to ‘caused by fatigue’, which is likely another trial balloon for a defense strategy.

Five, I may start taking bets on her getting paid leave and ‘retraining’ as her punishment. And maybe some counseling to help her deal with her ‘trauma’. Killer cops always seem to skate away whistling a happy tune.