Ouches and grouches

I walked into the eye doc’s office yesterday morning without an appointment and walked out with blessed relief. Or at least a prescription for blessed relief.

As I’d begun to suspect, the doc said the little villain in my eye was gone, but it had left behind a sore spot. Anti-inflammatory eye drops should do the trick.

At first they did. I expected them to take a couple of days for full effect, but surprisingly I felt better after the first dose.

My eye felt better, anyhow. The rest of me felt “rode hard and put up wet” after too much recent stress. I was useless. Felt like napping, but I’m not very good at that. Finally in the afternoon I forced myself outside. Ava and I went deep into the woods where we haven’t been in a long time and we found one of our old favorite walks still open despite the ubiquitous forest closures.

Ava enjoyed one of the best romps she’s had in months and I got the cobwebs blown out of my brain and body. Rain fell on us, but it was gentle and mild. We didn’t mind a bit.

I went to bed early, believing I was on the mend.

Alas, this morning my poor eyeball was unhappier than ever. Aside from being worrisome (did the doc miss something that was still in there?), the physical irritation inflames my mood. I’m cwabby.

I’ll continue with the anti-inflammatory and try not to worry too much until they eye drops have more time to work. Today, in a brief break in the weather, I’ll get outside and fix minor drainage and dripping problems I observed during yesterday’s rain.

But I’m not one of those paragons who remain stalwart and stoical when I don’t feel well. Best to avoid me today. I wish I could avoid myself.

Pat October 2, 2018 8:40 am

Does this mean we dare not comment for fear of getting bit? 🙂

According to folk lore, echinacea, fennel, licorice, papaya, raspberry, and turmeric (among other things) are all good for eye inflammation. For external use, try a witch hazel compress over the eye, and take a non-medically-approved drink. When all else fails, take a baby aspirin (or mild whatever-you’ve-got) followed by a nap.

Claire October 2, 2018 8:49 am

I think you’re safe from me, Pat. 🙂

Thank you for the folklore; I have a few of those items on hand.

Witch hazel over my eye, though — now that I wouldn’t have thought of. I always keep witch hazel around and enjoy its soothing powers. But I’d have assumed it wasn’t good anywhere near an eyeball.

Pat October 2, 2018 8:54 am

“But I’d have assumed it wasn’t good anywhere near an eyeball.”

Witch hazel serves the same purpose anywhere…

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 2, 2018 9:30 am

I wish I could avoid myself.

Been there. This too shall pass.

5. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry October 2, 2018 10:10 am

If you really wanna feel better, read 20 pages of any of Patrick O’Brian’s “Aubreiad” books. You will eventually encounter a perfectly straightforward discussion of early-19th Century medicine which will push your recovery significantly. The words “suprapubic cystotomy” will be especially helpful, likewise the oft-repeated tale if Dr. Maturin rousing out the Gunner’s brains in the Low Thirties, sea and wind just abaft the quarter if it please yeronner, so they could be set right again. At one point Dr. Maturin is delighted with the present (from a French physician no less, physic being far more importan than a trifling little thing like a war) of an exceptionally powerful magnet intended to be used in removing iron splinters from seamen’s eyes during a hot action.

6. ~Qjay
    ~Qjay October 2, 2018 10:42 am

As a long time eye problem person… REST YOUR DAMN EYES!

I hate to say it, consider half a day of looking at things across the room. Too close or too far can both add strain to your eyes, when they are vulnerable; at least they make my inflammation attacks much more painful and prolonged.

Use other eye drops, as well, to keep your eyes lubricated. It helps me a lot, anyhow.

I hope your injury heals quickly and easily!

Claire October 2, 2018 11:30 am

“Let the anti inflammatory eye drops work for a few hours, without getting more dust and pollen and junk in them.”

I hear the voice of wisdom calling. Am I smart enough to heed?

But I suppose sitting for a few hours being bored is better than … anything E. Garrett Perry just said.

8. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit October 2, 2018 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear that you’re not up to snuff! I hope the pain and annoyance are gone soon.