Tuesday links

* Exactly as happened to many during the recent Brett Kavanaugh hearings.

1. patrick jay fowler
    patrick jay fowler October 9, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi Claire , I have not been able to get on Joel’s blog , have you others had the same problem…page comes up that says its an unsecure page but will not let me access , Patrick

2. MacGregor Knight Phillips
    MacGregor Knight Phillips October 9, 2018 12:26 pm

I tried going to the FreeZoxee web site but could not register for an account. Apparently they are having a lot of problems with that. Since I deleted my Facebook account about a month ago, I do not think I will sign up with this one. It is nice not being connected.

Claire October 9, 2018 12:32 pm

I’ve been able to get on the page. But there have been weird technical problems. My Feedly, for instance, is showing “new” posts from 2009 and when I follow those links, the page header says “The Ultimate Answer to Kings (KnownHost)” rather than just The Ultimate Answer to Kings.

I expect that this, too, shall pass. But something’s definitely going on.

I’ll ping Joel and see if he knows what’s up.

Claire October 9, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks for the try, Mac. I agree it’s probably better not to be connected.

I wish FreeZoxee well, but I suspect it’s going to end up being another political ghetto.

5. patrick jay fowler
    patrick jay fowler October 9, 2018 12:43 pm

I guess give it a chance to work itself out …it started acting up after I asked Joel for his mail drop , I wanted to send him and Ian a sign for their firing range, Patrick

Claire October 9, 2018 1:08 pm

Oh, a sign for their shooting range! That would be very cool.

7. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit October 9, 2018 2:31 pm

From Joel’s blog;

Posted on October 9, 2018 by Joel

The TUAK files and database are transitioning to a new KnownHost server, and I don’t know how long it’ll take but I’m not supposed to post until it’s done. Hope they’ll tell me; this is the first time I’ve even been able to post an explanation this morning so they may or may not be done.

Stand by, I guess.

Joel October 9, 2018 5:27 pm

Yeah, also right now my email isn’t working since that’s also affected. No way of knowing how long it’ll take.

9. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred October 9, 2018 6:03 pm

FreeZoxee evaluation underway. I’ll report back after more data gathering. I left Gab more a than year ago. The Nazis were blaming the weather on the Jews. The level of stupid…ugh…need I explain further? I admit to ignoring the Gab Nazis for too long and not bailing sooner than I ought to have.

Anyway, FreeZoxee claims to be anti tyrant aka anti commie, anti Nazi, anti mohamet, anti EU and pro freedom. We shall see. So far people claiming to be reincarnated from Hitler have yet to appear. I’ve never been a signed in user of bookface but it appears to run in a similar manner technically and aesthetically from the users perspective. It’s a pretty bad echo chamber right now but it’s still very small as measured by number of users. I landed there via WRSA linky. FreeZoxee @ProGunFred

Pizza 911. Stolen without remorse. That’s funny right there.

Claire October 9, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you for the report, ProGunFred! Keep us updated if you find the place interesting (in either a good or a bad way).

I didn’t know Gab had gotten that bad. I also left it a long time ago, but mostly because I just don’t give a hoot about social media. I do recall having to filter out some bigots, but apparently the Nazi infestation got a lot worse after I left.

It’s a shame. Gab’s SpeakFreely ethic is really admirable. But I know from experience that if a site grants a welcome to even one neo-Nazi slob, his kind will soon overrun the place and drive out better human beings.

11. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 9, 2018 7:57 pm

The media is “discovering” local groups, so of course State-level alternatives to the NRA have proliferated this decade. Except the Texas State Rifle Association is fixing to observe its 100th anniversary, and the relatively-new Texas Concealed Handgun Association is 23.

most uncompromising, radical isn’t always all it’s cracked up to be. The article quotes Texas Open Carry, which did come along about 10 years ago. But the first two legislative sessions they participated in they succeeded mainly in making enemies. They didn’t know, or care, what the current laws were that they wanted to change. They had no clue how the Texas Legislature worked, and weren’t interested in learning. Until the hotheads quit in disgust, and some of their cooler heads figured out why they were getting nowhere, they did more harm than good.

They actually marched into the office of a Democratic representative, called him a traitor, and threatened to campaign in his district until they got him voted out of office. They had no clue that first, he served a deep-blue constituency, and any pro-gun campaigning there would be to his benefit; and second, that threatening any member of the Legislature would cause even the pro-gun members to circle wagons.

12. Mike
    Mike October 10, 2018 9:24 am

I love the overdose warning sign. Considering that on the 17th of October, weed becomes legal anywhere in Canada the sign is very timely.