Communities of the deplorable

I’ve been trying to herd a blogosaurus for the last couple of days, but the darned thing is still roaming wild.

So I’m just going to toss out the raw meat for the thing along with a few related thoughts and you guys can take it from there.

—–

I’m thinking about the importance of community in a world of globalization.

Also thinking (related) of the importance of community in a world where “our kind” are not only increasingly sneered at and looked down upon, but excluded from common discourse by Internet Powers That Be.

—–

Three articles I read all in a row yesterday got me started:

Charles Hugh Smith on “‘Yellow Vests’ and the Downward Mobility of the Middle Class.”

Charles Hugh Smith stating that Neofeudalism is built by design into our present socio-economic system.

And Victor Davis Hanson’s “The Globalist Mindset: They Hate You.”

The point of the three is roughly similar (though each is worth a read on its own merits): The new global order by and for the elite no longer thinks it needs to share power (economic or political) with the lesser people, so increasingly the pretense of concern for the middle and working classes is falling away and the contempt of our betters is revealed.

—–

Anybody who hopes for restoration of civil discourse on any large scale is either blowing smoke or smoking something.

Blowing smoke: Calling for order in a terrified attempt to quell the rage of the peasants.

Smoking something: They have no clue how close the peasants are to pitchfork time.

Could be both at once. The court of Louis XVI and its government ministers were probably doing both, long about 1789.

—–

Globalism isn’t sustainable — especially as currently constituted (e.g. financialism built on debt and political pull). But like the socialism it ultimately resembles, it can do one hell of a lot of harm while it lasts, and will leave chaos in its wake when it staggers to its well-earned death.

Getting rid of it is no guarantee of replacing it with anything better.

—–

Modern elitists find tribalism to be a handy tool. They’re perfectly happy to have useful idiots creating diversions and divisions for them. Think Twitter and F*c*b**k, as well as college campuses and the streets of “progressive” metropoli.

But I believe they fear communities. Real, real-world communities.

They probably don’t fear communities as much as they should, but surely they realize that when groups of people find and effectively support each other, they become less susceptible to the “phony tinsel” purchased by perpetual debt and more resistant to the centralized control and corruption that goes with it.

—–

I have more to say about specific ways real-world communities could be more important than ever these days, and might come back to say it later. (This is the area where I was having the most trouble organizing my blogosaurus thoughts.)

No doubt you can count many of those ways without me. Meanwhile, I just wanted to get some of my thoughts in pixels, however random and unorganized they remain.

—–

Before 2020 would be a good time for strategic relocation, if that’s in your plan. But now is a good time for assessing your local surroundings and strengthening bonds with those who seem likely to form strong communities. Or keeping an eye on those likely to destroy communities.

Also, as a formerly good anarchist, I hate to say it, but either find and empower a judicious, non-ego-driven leader or be prepared to take on a decision-making, organizing role yourself sometime soon.

Comrade X December 18, 2018 2:13 pm

IMHO today is like many other days in history, there are those who want to rule and there are those who want to live and let live.

This is what comes to my mind; it is like the soldier in the foxhole, he’s there, doesn’t like it, well really hates it but he does not leave because of the guy next to him. He knows he getting screwed by decisions out of his control but the one decision he can control is to stand or to run.

1.) Relocating to something better when the time comes isn’t a bad idea IMHO, 2.) but more importantly until that time you must make the best out of what you have and not let down those that might depend on you.

3.) Then there’s also the decision that this is my Alamo and bring it on where ever you may be when ‘that particular” time comes.

All three of those above could be in one’s thoughts everyday and every day progress could be made to expand upon those thoughts.

Just as those guys on Lexington Green didn’t know when the Brits were coming but they did know one day they would and prepared for that day the best they could.

IMHO you can’t do it by your self, you need allies but I think there are two types of allies; knowingly and unknowingly. The key is contact is being made and developed and that is important but even more important is how you can improve your position with one, some or all three of these actions you take as an individual because really all you can ever do is what you as an individual is willing to do kinda puts us back in that fox hole, don’t ya know?

2. David Gross
    David Gross December 18, 2018 2:32 pm

I’ve been following what I think is a similar train of thought over the last year or two… concentrating on strengthening local, non-governmental civic institutions, and trying to reempower people to do things themselves rather than begging for The Man to do it. Seems fruitful so far, but there’s a lot of energy pushing the other way. Still, I feel like I’m making more progress that way than through protest or gripetivism or most else I could be doing.

I’m wary of the term “globalists”. People mean different things by it. Some people mean one-world-government utopians. Others mean (((globalists))) and the word echos in their empty skulls with bigoted overtones. Others mean the sort of libertarians who dislike border guards, tariffs, and flag-waving nationalism. Most of what you wrote about “globalists” could also be applied to ostensibly anti-globalist “nationalists” in the same dosage.

Pat December 18, 2018 4:32 pm

“Most of what you wrote about “globalists” could also be applied to ostensibly anti-globalist “nationalists” in the same dosage.”

This is certainly true. And “our kind” is being bombarded from both sides.

I think communities may be the only non-violent way to fight back. (Well, “non-violent” until it becomes violent.) Each group (township, village, etc.) knows the best way to take advantage of its strengths, when and how to defend and “attack”.

I too think globalists are afraid of communities. Communities are all over, they think and act as individuals in the larger picture of a nation, something like guerilla warfare – and this presents a confusing target for the structured army to fight. They’d rather round us all up and herd us into one sheepfold.

4. NeoWayland
    NeoWayland December 18, 2018 5:17 pm

You should specify communities built from the ground up.

Top-down or franchise communities will always reflect the “higher up” attitudes and weaknesses.

Claire December 18, 2018 5:39 pm

“You should specify communities built from the ground up.”

I was going to address that when I got to community specifics. However I don’t agree that communities “built from the ground up” (i.e. intentional communities, if I understand your meaning correctly) are better than others. Some may be. But in many ways they’re often worse than ordinary everyday towns and neighborhoods.

“Built” communities are often unstable, may have cultish attitudes, and choose their members for reasons that turn out not to be useful in the long run. The history of this country is littered with failed intentional communities. They tend to collapse in discord when reality fails to meet members’ ideals.

Besides, very few of us are going to go to the bother of creating communities from scratch. We’re going to be in existing places we’ve chosen for other reasons — and make the best of where we are and whom we’re with.

If I’m mistaking your meaning, I’m sorry, and perhaps you could explain a little more about what you envision.

Claire December 18, 2018 5:45 pm

True and well-said, Comrade X. And for most people, who aren’t going to relocate at all, making the best of what we have and not letting others down will be the ultimate goal.

Also I like your point about knowing and unknowing allies.

7. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I can’t believe France is telling the gilets jaunes to eat cake. They tried that once before…

OTOH here Bloomberg is out of the closet funding gun control, and the new class of Democrats think it’s their destiny to stage the green revolution, erase borders, and solve the gun problem, while the moderates are telling them the road to success is impeaching the President.

I’m wondering how many of them are optimistic enough to think it’s time for the push over the top, and how many are thinking that it’s all crumbling and they have one last chance to seize control.

I’m too old to strategically relocate, other than as a refugee. But if I lived in a city, particularly one of the bluer ones, I sure would tactically relocate.

What I’m noticing in my community is that except for the full-blown-camo-survivalist types, people into prepping aren’t getting “that look” any more. Folks are listening, and starting to ask questions, and talk community.

Meanwhile, I think I’ll ask for an AR for Christmas, and name it “Pitchfork.”

8. NeoWayland
    NeoWayland December 18, 2018 6:16 pm

No, not all intentional communities are better in and of themselves. That’s a good point. But I think that intentional communities have a much better chance than franchise communities.

9. just waiting
    just waiting December 18, 2018 7:27 pm

My last home was nestled amongst the equestrian estates of the super elites. 35 miles from and smack dab between the only 2 westward exits roads from NYC, it had a Skousen Survivability rating of Zero. Until 5 years ago, we thought it was our forever home.

Our strategic location took us 1 1/2 miles less than as far away as we could get. We went from having well over 2 million neighbors in a 20 mile circle to having barely 2000. And the 2000 is a true community. People barter, do favors, and generally help one another whenever they can. I’ve never caught a salmon, but have a freezer full thanks to a few jars of honey. Have game meat from a local who hasn’t bought supermarket meat in 37 years. Everyone seems to garden and can.

In the glow of NYC, everyday life is controlled by outside forces, the international community. But its influence doesn’t extend everywhere, and if it came crashing down tomorrow, location and defensibility of your personal community is all that matters.

10. Murkan Mike
    Murkan Mike December 18, 2018 10:01 pm

I think Claire is onto something. I think local communities scare the elitists. They know that the people in small villages don’t believe the line of crap being handed to them from these elitest, entitled, fat cat governments. These elitists are aware that common folks in the villages can take care of themselves for the most part, and don’t really cringe in fear at the thought of russian bots on farcebook or white privelege at the schools. They know we see right through them. They know we see the naked king.

The yellow vest wearing frenchmen aren’t Parisians, they come from the villages. If they were Parisians, Macron would have simply turned off the internet in Paris and he would have them quaking in their birkenstocks and under control in minutes. Netflix withdrawal would havee set in, and they would have all gone home.

But these yellow vest wearing demonstrators are from the burgs, the villages, and small farm towns and aren’t really easy to control. Last year the same people were pissed off about having their tractor diesel taxed like road use automobile diesel, and they all drove their tractors onto the autobahns and blocked all traffic in France for several days. The gummint caved in. There are more tractors than French tanks.

There is a thought amongst some in Germany that one of the reasons the globalists are having this invasion of these bronze age barbarians into the country is that it is a case of “I’ll show you who the boss is!” In my village, for some reason even our ‘mayor’ doesn’t know about, suddenly 2 Eretrians, and 10 Syrians suddenly appeared in some houses that were for sale. More are coming all the time.

In our village, and even in our next biggest town, the local government is respected, and the state and German governments are merely tolerated. So Far!

There are no yellow vests to be bought in the stores, only orange ones. Still have pitchforks for sale, but no yellow vests. Maybe it’s time to bypass the demonstration stage, and go straight to the pitchforks.

11. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 18, 2018 10:03 pm

NeoWayland, can you define your terms?

I read your initial post as intentional communities “built up over many decades” and franchise communities as “we all got here after the factory was built ten years ago, and most of us work there.”

I think Claire read it differently. May be my experience getting in the way again.

12. NeoWayland
    NeoWayland December 19, 2018 2:36 am

Intentional communities start locally and grow from there. There aren’t necessarily standards to guide them, so they can go awry. But when they get it right, intentional communities tend to be stronger and more independent.

13. Owl
    Owl December 19, 2018 5:33 am

“Before 2020 would be a good time for strategic relocation, if that’s in your plan.”

What is the significance of the year 2020? Elections?

14. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 19, 2018 7:07 am

O/T Irony Alert:
    Apparently, my alma mater, Texas A&M, is playing in the “TaxSlayer Gator Bowl” in Jacksonville, FL. The game is named after the sponsor, tax preparation company TaxSlayer.com.
    “The current structure was … opened on August 18, 1995, … and total cost was US$134 million – $60 million of which was provided by the city of Jacksonville.” (taxpayers of Jacksonville)

15. AC
    AC December 19, 2018 7:15 am

Interesting.

Coming out of the (strangish) “Manosphere”, Jack Donovan is leading a lot of young men to create tribes modeled after motorcycle gangs. And leveraging social media to promote the concepts.

Been away from a real computer for a while, so Santa is gonna be a week late.

For those in the cold: https://www.threeriversparks.org/blog/embracing-winter-how-get-comfortable-cold

16. Antibubba
    Antibubba December 19, 2018 7:20 am

Owl, not just sanctions. If it isn’t brought under control soon, a worldwide Ebola epidemic could become a reality.

Comrade X December 19, 2018 8:47 am

Larry Arnold; I’m naming mine torch!

18. MP
    MP December 19, 2018 11:06 am

“To me, a franchise community is imposed by a “higher authority” from the outside for show than anything else. Usually decisions are made from the outside with little regard to the needs of the local group or local conditions, but focus on making the “higher authority” look good. More effort is spent complying to “standards” than anything else.”

Vermont is sounding more and more like this. New Act 250 revisions which essentially try to push folks into the cities and “preserve” the woodlands (http://ethanallen.org/new-act-250-would-fight-forest-fragmentation-and-climate-change-discourage-country-living), Act 46 which is forced school consolidation and dilutes local control over the schools, and the recently passed gun restrictions such as bans on 30 round mags–from the state that gave us Constitutional Carry! Oh, and Bernie.

I have long planned to move back over the border but NH is sounding better and better as a long term locale.

19. maDDtraPPer
    maDDtraPPer December 19, 2018 7:33 pm

The very nature of Globalism is there’s no where to run from it. I don’t know what kind of future is in store for my children.

20. Saturday Links | 357 Magnum
    Saturday Links | 357 Magnum December 22, 2018 7:41 am

[…] Claire Wolfe’s Living Freedom Blog – Communities of the deplorable […]

21. Grant
    Grant December 22, 2018 9:38 pm

I have been thinking about intentional community for over 50 years. Being raised with the spectre of atomic war, I had been thinking about homesteading in Alaska or British Columbia and have read numerous books about the experiences of those who had made the leap. My thought early on was that a group of friends with diverse skills was superior to a single family such as the 1959 book by Eric Collier, THREE AGAINST THE WILDERNESS, which first sparked my interest, had depicted. The Vietnam War and the draft caused a delay, and though when I got out of the army I had thought I would move north with my brother, involvement in an idealistic religious community distracted me. When I came to my senses and left, after realizing that the moral corruption which had been concealed was systemic, I already had a family to raise. We did the best we could, no vaccinations, taught our children at home, and I am happy that they are now stable and independent adults. During the period around 1971, I read about communities, in particular a magazine which I believe had that title. One thing which struck me was that these intentional communities tended to disintegrate most often because of sexual rivalries and conflict. My conclusion is that the most important quality is emotional maturity, the ability to love others, and to be able to build stable marriages and families where trust and responsibility prevail.