Thursday links

• You corrupt the system, then you whine and wonder why nobody trusts the system any longer.
  • You leave national parks open during the shutdown, but lock restrooms and halt trash pickup. What exactly did you expect?
  • This article asks why men are more likely to die of glioblastoma (a rare brain cancer) than women. This is the beginning of a terribly politically incorrect trend in cancer treatment, one based on innate sexual differences. Well, we can’t have that now, can we?
  • What the heck is an “assault weapon,” anyhow? David Kopel asks and answers. (Tl;dr, an assault weapon is the total political nonsense intelligent people always knew it was.)
  • Walter Williams on the worst enemy of black people.
  • No, you aren’t the only one who reacts badly when faced with too damned much artificial cuteness.
  • Hatred of Jews is getting scary.
  • Well, if this don’t make you feel old, nothin’ will. Daryl Dragon (better known as The Captain) has died, with ex-wife and singing partner Toni Tennille at his side. Anybody remember when “Muskrat Love” was considered scandalous?
  • Your not-quite-awwwww story for today involves an abused child and a motorcycle gang.

1. free.and.true
    free.and.true January 3, 2019 6:05 am

“Muskrat Love” was considered scandalous?!?!?!

Whoa. And to think the local AM radio station played it all the time, when I was but an innocent sprout.

No wonder I’m so messed up. (Or mussed up?)

Claire January 3, 2019 7:42 am

“Muskrat Love” was considered scandalous?!?!?!”

Yes — among the sort of pecksniff who finds salacious meanings in everything (particularly in the notoriously eeeeevil rock-n-roll). The little purring sounds in the song were, you know, muskrats screwing their brains out.

3. Myself
    Myself January 3, 2019 8:27 am

remember, the FBI investigated the Kingsmen, and their song Louie Louie
    (yes really)

Joel January 3, 2019 9:39 am

I am shocked! Shocked! To find sexual innuendo going on in pop music songs!

5. James
    James January 3, 2019 10:46 am

I remember thinking, back in the day, that Toni Tennille was seriously cute. I see she aged rather well. Good for her!

6. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 3, 2019 2:54 pm

Was a time when the waltz was young, when it was scandalous, as men actually (gasp) held their dancing partner in their arms.

Waltz was before my time, but I do remember when Jazz was a demon, and before that when no self-respecting father would let his daughter date anyone with a flattop haircut. Then the Beatles invaded, and “Get a haircut!” became a thing.

There are always pecksniffs.

Somehow it’s ironic that the cuteness overload story is on NPR.

Joel January 3, 2019 3:30 pm

Somehow it’s ironic that the cuteness overload story is on NPR.

Wow, I read that whole link this morning and didn’t notice it was NPR. How did they fail to work something bad about Trump into the story? Somebody’s getting fired. Here, I’ll do it for them: “In the age of Trump, even cute cartoon animals cause toxic levels of aggression in white males.”

Comrade X January 3, 2019 3:57 pm

Great story on the MC, known a few and they were pretty decent people except for those that crossed them.

Always made sure to park on the other side of the street when there was a row of bikes in front of a bar, I can imagine the pain that might be caused if you were to hit one and there was a domino effect.

Claire January 3, 2019 4:10 pm

When I first moved to the PNW after leaving the midwest, I got what I thought was a nice apartment — then before I moved in I realized that the nightclub across the street was a biker bar. I thought I’d really screwed up and wondered whether I could get out of my lease. I even checked with the local cops to see what problems I could expect there, and I’ll never forget the officer’s reply, “Oh, no problems. They stomp their own snakes.”

It was true. Never had a moment’s concern about that bar the whole time I lived there.

10. Myself
    Myself January 3, 2019 9:35 pm

@Claire:

I suggest reading Dead In Five Heartbeats, co written by Sonny Barger, yes that Sonny Barger, the novel has a bit of license, but all in all a pretty good description of life in a 1% club.

11. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 January 4, 2019 6:25 am

Before she went big time, Ann Richards was a county commissioner for my precinct.

The Bandidos motorcycle club was generally centered in Travis County. They held a weekend gathering in one of the county parks.

Ann told me that the park had the cleanest Monday morning that any of the maintenance people had ever seen.

12. ellendra
    ellendra January 4, 2019 9:18 am

There’s actually an organization, Bikers Against Child Abuse, in which biker gangs will “adopt” an abused child in order to help them feel safe. Some of the news stories should come with a “blurry screen” alert: http://bacaworld.org/category/b-a-c-a-news/

13. John Wilder
    John Wilder January 4, 2019 3:31 pm

Firehand is entirely correct (top link). At times I wonder if they’re doing that just to condition people that’s the way things should be . . . .