Monday links

1. Ruth
    Ruth January 7, 2019 8:05 am

I’ve read most of Seanan McGuire’s stuff. I don’t have time right now to read the article, but Thats not a bad description of the Wayward Children set. I like most of her stuff, if you prefer leaning towards the nightmarish side look up her alternate author name of Mira Grant!

Comrade X January 7, 2019 8:12 am

Methinks the song still has meaning today!

3. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 January 7, 2019 10:24 am

Red Flag law? Call in on your disposaphone and complain about the violent arguments you heard at your mayor’s home.

Speaking from 300 hours of VFR time as a spam-can pilot, when I first read the stories of Junior’s crash, I thought, “Dumb sumbitch.”

Saw “Casablanca” when it first came out. It remains as #1 for me.

4. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry January 7, 2019 2:02 pm

Vaccines do not cause autism or ASD. Period. I don’t care how many Mercoloids, no matter how highly placed or well paid (or by whom) repeat that crap it is still crap. Even intelligent good-faith actors can be deceived, and an awful lot of the pro-Measels lobby are neither intelligent nor acting in good faith. When you find yourself on the same side of an argument as RFKjr, Jenny McCarthy, and the Taliban, it might be time to reconsider your position. It also bears mentioning that detailed descriptions of “changelings” and “fairie children” closely matching the symptoms of ASD exist in written records and folklore stretching back long before the introduction of even the most primitive forms of vaccination.

And even if it -were- true, the argument assumes that Autism is such a horrible fate that death from Measels or Whooping Cough or tick-borne Encphalitis is preferable. As an ASD person I find this risible beyond ready discription. I and people like me do not need fixing, repairing, or preventing, especially not at the cost of 25% infant mortality- which is the low end of the range for the pre-antisepsis/pre-antibiotic era. In the early medieval era, when the cultures of the British Isles and France were positively obsessive about cleanliness and food safety, approx. 35% of live births did not live to the age of three years. The recorded incidence of vaccine-preventable diseases decreases markedly in the 6mo preceding the widespread introduction of vaccination and precipitously in the 3 years following the initiation of widespread vaccination: each disease in turn. “Diet and exercise and cleanliness” are not, Susan Calloway’s insistance aside, responsible for those decreases: if they were, the declines would be both gradual and simultaneous.

Claire January 7, 2019 4:09 pm

You’re reading a whole lot into that item that isn’t actually there, E. Garrett Perry.

6. Kurt
    Kurt January 7, 2019 10:39 pm

Casablanca is great. For my money, though, Seven Samurai is better, and Ikuru is better yet.

I cry every time I watch Ikuru, and it’s the only movie that moves me so much.

Kurt

Claire January 8, 2019 10:46 am

Kurt — +1 on Seven Samurai. I thought Ikiru was boring, but certainly Ran, Throne of Blood, and several other Kurosawa films would make my Top 100 list.

8. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 8, 2019 1:54 pm

Casablanca is the gold standard, but there’s a parallel scene in Zulu, where a kazillion Zulu are chanting, gearing up to overrun the badly-outnumbered Brits. The lieutenant commanding turns to the unit’s musician, who starts them singing “Men of Harlech,” and the soldiers steady into the “Thin Red Line.”
    Music has power beyond words.

Aikens has her bonehead clause. From that, and the way she treats foxes, she’s the antithesis of reckless. She knows exactly what she’s doing, respects her limits, and knows it could all end very quickly.
    Not someone who would think, “I’ve done it in daylight, it can’t be that much harder in the dark with poor visibility and without proper training, and by the way I’ll take two friends along with me.”