Fundraiser for Kit

Well-known blogger, security analyst, and my young freedomista friend and co-author Kit Perez had surgery for melanoma last week.

Melanoma is scary in the best of circumstances, and Kit’s circumstances were not the best.

Her surgery was no doctor’s office snip, but a major work leaving a long scar down her back and leaving Kit (temporarily, we hope) pretty seriously impaired.

Worse, when the diagnosis and rush to surgery hit, she and her husband were, unfortunately, caught without insurance. The rules of the Unaffordable Care Act say no insurer can refuse coverage due to an existing condition. But the rules are also so arcane, so twisted, and so effed up (“We’re from the government and we’re here to HELP you!”) that Kit cannot sign up for coverage, even with a private company, until November (effective January 1, 2020).

Major mess. The pathology and prognosis are unknown at this point, but it’s frighteningly likely Kit’s going to need long-term medical follow-up. Friends of Kit’s have set up a fundraiser to cover the surgery and hopefully give Kit and her dear husband a boost toward paying insurance premiums this fall. I hope all who can will donate. But even if you can’t, please do what you can to spread the word:

The fundraiser is based over at F*c*b**k:

You can avoid FB and go directly to PayPal by sending money to Kit’s account: audax0@protonmail.com

Or Venmo: @audax0

If you say a pox on all online fundraising, the snailing address for contributions is:

Kit Perez
612 N 1st St 2-209
Hamilton MT 59840

I’m not doing any fundraising for the blog this year, and my plan is not to do so ever again barring some emergency. I’ve received wonderful contributions from die-hard friends-o-blog, regardless. But if you’ve got money to send this summer … please think of Kit and send help her way.

Claire August 15, 2019 9:19 am

Thank you, Ersatz Naugahyde. You not only have one of the world’s great nyms; you’re good people, too. 🙂

Comrade X August 15, 2019 9:28 am

Will do!

Claire August 15, 2019 10:29 am

You’re always a true friend, Comrade X. Salute!

4. Bear
    Bear August 15, 2019 10:30 am

Folks, without insurance Kit is going to need a whole lot more than $10,000. Depending on treatment required, she’s looking at hundreds of thousands in medical expenses.

Claire August 15, 2019 11:20 am

That is so true, Bear. Thank you for saying that. Even though the fundraiser is for $10k, I’m hoping it will well exceed that figure.

Kit is adamant that she doesn’t want a dime more than her actual expenses, but the simple fact is nobody knows yet what those will be.

It’s possible that the melanoma surgery will be “one and done.” It’s equally possible the pathology report will come back bad or that the cancer will return and Kit will need not only insurance (once the fedgov finally permits), but lots more money.

6. Val E. Forge
    Val E. Forge August 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Claire:

Done via paypal.

Claire August 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Blessings on you, Val E. Forge. 🙂

Kit says she’s been getting PayPal notices for contributions from Living Freedom readers — some who’ve announced their intentions here, others who’ve just quietly slipped in and sent donations, saying nothing.

Thank you all, wonderful people.

8. Kit Perez
    Kit Perez August 15, 2019 2:46 pm

I will echo Claire’s thanks. I am humbled by you guys. I still need to wait another four days to get any of the FB money, but because of you I will be able to pay on a bill tomorrow anyway. That is pretty spectacular. Thank you.

9. jed
    jed August 15, 2019 7:36 pm

I won’t quite say a pox on all online fundraising, but weird old me likes to do things the old fashioned way. I will say a pox on F0rkB0rk though. 🙂

10. J.s.T.
    J.s.T. August 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Done…

Claire August 16, 2019 10:47 am

Kudos and thanks to you, J.s.T.

12. DistOne
    DistOne August 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Claire, I had my own diagnosis of Stage 3 melanoma at the end of November 2018, delayed surgery until February. The good news is there are treatments available now that are vastly better than anything available even 8 years ago. The bad news is that it is all hideously expensive. I will start a recurring payment on Paypal..now.

Claire August 20, 2019 12:37 pm

DistOne — Oh lord, I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Did the docs get it all?

How kind of you to step up to help Kit.

14. DistOne
    DistOne August 20, 2019 4:15 pm

They excised the original site and four lymph nodes (one of which was cancerous) so far no evidence of recurrence, but I’m getting monthly treatment just in case. I will definitely qualify for the medical deduction this year.