Okay, after months of madness and rants, time for some (mostly) upbeat news. So here we have positive political developments, scathingly rational commentary, and even a couple of charming monkeywrenches. Enjoy.
- “The Rebellion of America’s New Underclass” by Joel Kotkin.
- Sooooo very typically politically sneaky and snaky, if true: Money donated to Black Lives Matter, specifically earmarked to defund police, is going straight to the Joe Biden campaign. (I haven’t verified this.)
- Glenn Greenwald (who, along with Matt Taibbi is one of the few rational, liberty-respecting voices remaining on the left) excoriates the politicians and so-called medical experts who performed such a magical about-face on coronavirus rules when street protests began. (H/T S)
- And here’s another surprising view from the left. Whoppi Goldberg speaks out against censorship.
- The mob wants to cancel an Oregon mayor for being insufficiently woke. He turns the tables on them.
- Be courageous, stand firm, do not kneel to the mob.
- The first big cracks have finally appeared in the horrific, bizarre, cruel, and unjust doctrine of qualified immunity for murderous police officers.
- And Rand Paul has introduced a bill to end no-knock warrants.
- When police in Minneapolis stepped back, a small business owner formed her own armed neighborhood defense force.
- John Wilder, in that truly unique style of his, explains recent changes in fractional reserve banking with Muppet jokes, Lady Gaga, and Johnny Depp. (Did you know that, in March, the required reserve was reduced from 10% to 0%? I didn’t.)
- So how long did it take for the new socialist paradise in Seattle — the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone or CHAZ — to require and acquire borders, ID checkpoints, armed guards, a police force upholding arbitrary laws, and an unelected dictator? You guessed it: no time at all.
- Oh, and the traditional Socialist paradise hunger arrived in zippy time, too. Hilariously.
- Eaton Rapids Joe has a solution to all that. It would be monumentally unfair to the innocents living and working in the CHAZ, but it’s funny as hell and gives the new nation exactly what it claims to want.
- Is anybody still thinking about the census and how best to non-comply? Turns out that Robert Heinlein and family pranked the census taker, clear back in 1940. (H/T C^2)
- There are big ways to answer invasive government. And there are small, but enduring ways get your point across. Here’s a tiny response to a “taking” that’s lasted more than a century. (H/T CZ)
- Finally, if you want to do a good deed for a small business destroyed by the riots — and a very important business in this case to those who love science fiction — please consider donating to the GoFundMe for Uncle Hugo’s and its companion mystery store, Uncle Edgar’s. The fundraiser is sadly only about 1/4 of the way to goal. Defend liberty, literacy, hope, and civilization. Help Uncle Hugo’s rise from the ashes.
A general H/T to JW, source of several links and reliable discoverer of interesting news.