An update and a visitor

I’m sneaking up on finishing Part VII (final) of my blogseries “In Praise of Men.” I should have it within two or three days, at most.

Because you’ve been so patient and because today is Patreon’s pay-out day and I want you all to get your money’s worth, I intended to post something, even if pretty insignificant.

I was pondering what to post (and thinking maybe news links while also wondering if anything even qualifies as news any more) when my neighbor showed up with a carton of her famous split-pea soup and slices of homemade bread. Mmmmmm.

She also brought the best of her two dogs with her.

It’s been nearly five months since Furrydoc came to put Ava down. I haven’t had a dog in the house in all that time — and trust me, five dogless months is a long time hereabouts. I’ve taken to stopping strangers on the street to ask if I can talk to their doggies. So I requested that Emma (the dog, not the neighbor) stay a while.

And here she is.

She’s old. She’s angelic. And she’s currently sleeping on the rug at my feet as I type this.

My computer keyboard is already full of dog fur, just like old times.

1. Bill T
    Bill T April 5, 2021 12:39 pm

Off topic but you have made yourself a lovely home.

Comrade X April 5, 2021 12:41 pm

That made my day, she’s a beauty!

Maybe you can be a future dog sitter, when needed?

Claire April 5, 2021 12:54 pm

Thank you, Bill T. A compliment about the transformation of my old wreck of a house is never, ever off-topic.

And Comrade X I thought I might hear from you when I posted this. πŸ™‚ As to dog-sitting, I do it occasionally, but only at the neighbor’s house, not here. You see, they have this other dog, another Lab. And where Emma is angelic, Maggie is diabolical. Pure, insane, boisterous, uncontrolled and uncontrollable capital-T Trouble. That dog’s not coming to my house until she grows a few more brain cells!

Emma reminds me of why I miss dogs. Maggie reminds me why I don’t want another any time soon.

4. Toirdhealbheach Beucail
    Toirdhealbheach Beucail April 5, 2021 5:10 pm

Aww. That is a cute dog. And dogs always qualify as legitimate posts.

5. Daylan
    Daylan April 5, 2021 6:34 pm

Way off topic. I’m curious about what appears to be a 3? foot rounded top door next to the stove, maybe to store wood? Or do you have hobbits? 😎
    PS. Nice doggie.

Claire April 5, 2021 7:48 pm

No hobbits, Daylan, though that might be fun if they didn’t drink too much or smoke their pipes in the house. πŸ™‚ (Well, come to think of it, they might not think that would be much fun.)

And not a door. It’s a rather elaborate wicker frame that probably once held a mirror. I got it at a garage sale thinking I might paint an icon in the former mirror space. Possibly a project for this summer; in the meantime I just didn’t have anywhere better to keep it.

And thanks, Toirdhealbheach Beucail. Yep, you’re right. Any post with a great dog in it should always count as legit.

BTW, I mostly finished the “In Praise of Men” post today. Now it just needs to marinate a day or so before a final rewrite.

7. Jeff2
    Jeff2 April 6, 2021 4:15 am

Sweet! There is nothing else I can add to a picture “worth a thousand words…”

Jeff2

Comrade X April 6, 2021 7:18 am

One of my sons has one of those diabolical. Pure, insane, boisterous, uncontrolled and uncontrollable capital-T Trouble dogs. So I know what you mean.

However for some reason I believe you will always have dogs in your life whether physically or in spirit.

Joel April 6, 2021 5:35 pm

I lost my last dog, whom I had inherited from a dead friend only two years before, last august and have been dogless ever since. Figured I’d give it till Spring before getting proactive about it, since dogs usually seem to come to me rather than me having to go look for one.

But that was more than seven months ago and I seem to be watching an awful lot of puppy videos lately. ‘Fraid I’m going to have to plan a trip to the big town about 50 miles away, where there’s the closest shelter I know, and find a new one.

Comrade X April 6, 2021 5:44 pm

Good for you Joel!

Claire April 6, 2021 6:40 pm

Yeah, good for you, Joel. And good for me because I can then watch your vicarious dog joys and dog headaches and dog tears on your blog without having to take the plunge myself. πŸ˜‰

I’m getting to the point where I think about getting another, but my life is too unsettled right now and is likely to be so for some time to come.

Get a good doggie. For your own sake and the sake of your friends and fans.

12. firstdouglas
    firstdouglas April 10, 2021 4:27 pm

Nice dog–and what a pleasant, attractive space you have created! I remember earlier. Updates always welcome.

13. AD
    AD April 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Oh.

And that rug really ties the room together.