- Okay, I don’t usually link to stuff from Alex Jones Paranoialand. I roll my eyes at others who do. But tell me, you physics and geophysics guys out there (and I just know there are dozens of science geeks reading this blog): How far out of reality is this?
- I could do that. I mean, if I really wanted to, you know. (Short video)
- “Do marijuana and driving mix?” Well, I don’t know. (The business of driving super-slow to be safer is one way cops already use to spot the impaired.) But you can be sure cannabis is getting closer to the mainstream when nuns start growing it.
- A few reasons I don’t write more about gun rights these days: The good guys are winning. And the bad guys are either showing themselves as the thuggish jackasses they are (ala Mayor Daley’s famously barbaric threat to stick a bayonet and fire a round up a reporter’s butt) or they’re simply withering away. Not to mention that BHM already has its own gun columnist. Still, gun rights are deep in my heart & I haven’t forgotten about them.
- But Social Security? Now that’s not doing so well.
- Congratulations to BHM managing editor Annie (Duffy) Tuttle and husband Erik. It’s a girl! Clara Lynn. And cheers also to the kindhearted WK and his dear wife. For them, it’s a boy!
I didn’t even know it was possible to do, but somehow I accidentally turned off comments for this post. They’re back on now. But in the meantime, I received this from my good friend The Rocket Scientist:
More high-octane BS from Alex Jones Paranoialand.
The Rocket Scientist correctly points out that water won’t boil under these pressures.
Another point: the opening line (enough to set off my BS detector)
“It has been estimated by experts that the pressure which blows the oil into the Gulf waters is estimated to be between 20,000 and 70,000 PSI (pounds per square inch). Impossible to control. ”
Note the lack of attribution or references. The estimates I’ve seen are all in the range of 12,000 PSI. That’s a lot of pressure, but certainly not “Impossible to control. ” BP controlled that pressure for some time, then they lost control.
Even if you accept the estimate of 70,000 PSI, there is nothing impossible about controlling it. Aircraft are flying today with 5,000 PSI hydraulic systems. The components are designed with a very large safety factor. It will take more steel to hold 70,000 PSI but steel is cheap.
Even if the pressure is difficult to manage at the wellhead, the relief wells are being drilled to the oil formation itself, far below the sea floor. When completed, they will be used to inject cement and other materials to stop to flow. It will probably not be finished in August; that’s when the wells are drilled and they can start injecting stuff. It took another 3 months before Pemex could control a similar spill with relief wells. But it was eventually controlled.
The spill is a problem, perhaps a big problem, but there is no reason to believe that drilling a very small hole (diameter measured in inches) deep into the earth will set off Armageddon. Pure BS, typical for Alex Jones.
There’s just soooo many doccumented, proven, right-in-broad-daylight examples of the powers that be screwing us over that I just don’t understand the need for all the conflated crap that Alex peddles. It truly hurts more than it helps.
I watched the freestyle running video, neat stuff. All I will say is that if you think you could do that Claire I would like to see the video on the web. (;~>)
With regards to Alex Jones all I will say is if you give me an incredible statement I would like to see incredible proof not the drivel that he gives.
I’m tired after just watching that video.