Tuesday miscellany

• A bank joins the frenzy against Julian Assange and WikiLeaks. It freezes — of all things — his defense fund. Sorry, bank. Sorry bank. You know, the statists aren’t going to win this one. Assange might not, either. But the old order has fallen. It just hasn’t had the good sense to topple over yet.
  • Per Joel: Fourth Amendment tee shirts and underwear.
  • Now this is an honorable man. He might not always have been. But he is now, bless ‘im.
  • Rational Review News is having another fundraiser. They do it every quarter. And every quarter, it’s painful to watch them struggle toward their very modest goals. I don’t know why. A site like LewRockwell.com can (deservedly) raise tens of thousands of dollars with head-spinning rapidity. But Rational Review, the best compiler of freedom-related news on the web (linking to articles like “Knife Lobby Scoring Points …” and “Anarchists Launch WikiLeaks Mirrors and Fred Reed’s “Conversations with Bob”) goes through hell to get a thousand dollars. And then right in the middle of their latest, they have to reboot in light of the PayPal boycott. If you can … please throw ’em a buck. This time around, your buck will also get you a signed copy of Bill Branon’s novel, Let Us Prey.
  • I hate to mention this, because the only way I can stand to be on the radio is to pretend that nobody’s listening. But I’m scheduled to be on the Brian Wilson show this afternoon. Brian interviewed me ages ago when he was on KSFO in San Francisco. Now he’s in Toledo, OH. But the show will be podcast for infamy posterity. So pray for both Brian and me to be brilliant. Actually, I’ll settle for intelligible.
  • Speaking of the Day of Infamy, it’s time once again to remember the State of Jefferson. It still exists in the hearts of many. It might have existed in fact had World War II not intervened. Jefferson will rise again!

Pat December 7, 2010 6:03 am

What time is the interview with Brian Wilson taking place?

His assessment of the Giordano Bruno “piece” about Useful Idiots is spot on — it is indeed “BRILLIANT!”

Claire December 7, 2010 6:11 am

Pat,

I think it’s at 4:35 EST. I’ve been avoiding thinking about it. But yep, he’s indeed a good guy and a good thinker. Jim Bovard, Lew Rockwell, and Tom Creasing (The Law Hobbit) are frequent guests on his show. So I’m in good company.

And for anybody interested … here’s the Giordano Bruno piece Pat’s talking about.

3. Samuel Adams
    Samuel Adams December 7, 2010 10:20 am

There are two pathetic things about the Dave Tally story.

* That this was considered newsworth. Maybe it was a slow day. Or maybe people who do the right thing have become so rare that it actually is newsworthy when someone does the right thing.

* That people were so flabbergasted as to think this merited rewards from strangers.

As Cicero said in a similar context, O tempora o mores!

4. Scott
    Scott December 7, 2010 10:28 am

Useful Idiots..I watched a man in his late 50s go into three different types of conniptions just because I knew what kind of car Mad Max drove(an Australian Ford Falcon). He burned out a mental bearing over a very minor point-‘splain it to me. Knives are tools-end discussion. Fortunately, the states I’ve lived in(Kentucky and Florida) are very easy going as far as pocketknives go. In Florida, I had a 10 inch folding knife(folded,the entire knife was 11.5 in. long) as part of my job(cutting styrofoam/foam rubber). I rode my bike to work, either carrying it in my had, or clipped to my lunchbox. The cops never said a thing to me.
    According to a coworker, the color of a knife(or decorations/wording) determines whether it’s a weapon or not in Boston..my black-handled Swiss Army knife could be considered a weapon-an identical one with a red handle isn’t..if true,how is this conclusion reached? Again, ‘splain it to me..

MamaLiberty December 7, 2010 12:47 pm

Scott, Scott… now you know perfectly well that there is no rational explanation for ANY of this nonsense. Sorry… 🙁

6. Kevin Wilmeth
    Kevin Wilmeth December 7, 2010 2:49 pm

I couldn’t help but comment on some of the latest WikiLeaks news (via the indispensable Brad at Wendy McElroy’s site), as the desperation attacks step up yet again. (The bank story you mention here crosses over.) Sheesh, it was just a couple of days ago that the Theater of the Absurd made its latest entry, and the news is becoming almost continuous.

What I think is important from this is to observe Master’s speed of execution. Is it faster than usual? And if it is, what to make of it? Consider this major positioning move, and how much has happened and accelerated since then. (I agree with you, Claire, that the state can’t win the war, but all current indicators seem to suggest that it’s perfectly happy to do a whole lot of damage trying.)

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least. But then I’m a heretic anyway, as is anyone who would make the above observations. Wouldn’t it be great to have a quantifiable response available, for those to whom quantity matters?

7. Karen
    Karen December 7, 2010 6:10 pm

Good interview, but not long enough. Even DH thought it was very good, and he’s been referred to as an old socialist curmudgeon.

Claire December 7, 2010 6:17 pm

LOL. Thanks, Karen. YOU, married to a socialist curmudgeon? Curmudgeon I can understand. Socialist? You two must get into some very interesting discussions.

I rarely ever listen to podcasts. But even I thought this one went pretty well. Thanks for listening. And thank your DH for putting up with it. 🙂

Claire December 7, 2010 6:23 pm

Damn good comments, Kevin. And yeah — the wounded tyrannosaurus is still capable of thrashing around a lot with teeth and claws.

It’s funny (but not funny-haha) how little actual reflection the latest WikiLeak is engendering. It’s all just “kill the messenger!” (Without even enough reflection to grok that the New York Times was also one of the “messengers” here — and nobody’s calling for their heads.) Nobody, but nobody (outside of us anarchists), seems to be asking, “Okay, Assange asside, is all this spying and slimery a proper way for a government to do business?”

Still … there’s at least a bit of funny-haha. Your Theater of the Absurd link … it’s just amazing, the not-getting-itness. After all these years, it seems as if nobody up there in the high levels of government understands what this “series of tubes” thingie really is and can do.

Oh yeah, and I totally agree with the indispensibility of Brad at Wendy McElroy’s site. They’re both indespensible. But Brad is one of the best at keeping an eye on tech-based threats to freedom and putting them in plain English.

Claire December 8, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks, Kevin. Yep, I heard about that yesterday. And denying him bail — OMG. And pretending that this is “not about WikiLeaks” … yeah. Right.

11. Winston
    Winston December 8, 2010 2:21 pm

You know what my biggest gripe with the whole wikileaks scandal is?

If the leaked documents were such sacred, damning state secrets…why was it that any Army PFC could access them!?!!? That’s like leaving a fresh cooked rare steak sitting unattended on a coffee table and then blaming anybody but yourself when the dog eats it. Friggin stupid.

“It would be interesting to see some sort of normalized comparison of the amount of official political effort (both over and under the table, but pre-military/police/mercenary involvement) that is being expended over WikiLeaks, vs. the amount of official political effort (again, pre-thugs-with-guns involvement) that has been expended to actually locate whoever it was that brought us, say, the 9/11 atrocity. That’s of course a hopelessly fuzzy comparison, but it would not at all surprise me if more mountains were moved, faster, to protect secrets and prevent potential harm from (self-) embarrassment, than to investigate an actual violent incident involving the brazen murder of some 3,000 people.”

That’s a pretty good way to look at it….though if you were to actually get an answer from the .gov on this, it would be something along the lines of Bush’s Fault (or Bush’s ‘Legacy’ if the telepromter is feeling eloquent that day…)