- Plague death in Chicago: A scientific detective story.
- Don’t tell your cat-lady friends, but they’re being manipulated. Oh. I expect they already know that.
- A happier detective story: Finding the lost library of Thomas Jefferson. (NYTimes free subscription link.)
- How Obamacare is already damaging the U.S. medical system in ways that will be hard to undo even if the Rs are sincere about repealing or defunding it.
- How to be the luckiest guy on the planet in four easy steps. By James Altucher. You could nitpick the specifics. (I think his third goal sets him up for a fall, in a way.) But there’s plenty of food for thought here.
- Small quiz. Guess what the lovely babe below did to get her lovely face in the news? Yes, you can see she got arrested. Only cops and DMV workers can take a picture that flattering. But what’s the rest of the story? Here’s the answer. (Tip o’ hat to Radley Balko.)
Looks like a dream date for Nick Nolte.
I’d guess she has blew her credibility with that .234. Probably just a misunderstanding, or bad reaction to medicine.
That same page of the Gainsville Times had a couple of items about legalized theft by law enforcement. A stop that netted $31,000 and another. Guess that travesty of government (asset forfeiture) is alive and well in that part of Florida.
The photo is icing on the irony cake.
LOL re: the plastic surgeon’s whining about Obamacare. I detest the law, but I have zero sympathy for any member of the AMA and the medical guild. This problem didn’t start with Obamacare, it started over a century ago when the AMA started using government violence to attack their competitors. Obamacare is a perfectly logical and nearly unavoidable step along this particular path of tyranny.
So Lloyd Krieger gets his ox gored and cries about it. Ya just gotta love his prescription:
“Legislators will have to scrub the 2,700-page ObamaCare law line by line to remove all of the disincentives for medical practices, hospitals and others to remain smaller and independent.”
As if legislators who never read the law in the first place will magically acquire the insight, knowledge, wisdom, and motivation to understand the implications of interfering in a severely compromised travesty of a free market.
Why not repeal the law in its entirety? Why not start reducing the government’s interference in all medical care?
Because surgeon Krieger’s rice bowl is filled to the brim with the present state of corruption and violence. He is a plastic surgeon who “invests in health-care companies.” He’s getting squeezed out by the bigger money that bought the access and wrote this law. He had no problems with the system that kills tens of thousands of people per year by denying them drugs and access to new treatments. It’s only when the torrent of loot gets directed somewhere else that he objects.
I don’t dispute that Obamacare is destructive. The Krieger’s of the world have mostly themselves to blame.
RE: Ms. Oberlin . . .
Karma can be a bitch.
Does anybody even take MADD seriously anymore?