Tuesday miscellany

• Well. That didn’t take long. Vanity Fair decrees that anybody who doesn’t believe the fedgov’s every word on the death of Osama Bin Laden is a member of the tinfoil hat brigade. I don’t know what really happened. You don’t know what really happened. But we’re apparently nuts simply because … get ready for it … we suspect the federal government doesn’t always tell the exact, absolute truth about everything!
  • Remember yesterday’s moronic economic analysis from the Washington Post? I think there’s a conspiracy between that guy and this NY Times opinionator. Two people just can’t be that stupid in the same way on the same topic at the same time by coincidence. There’s a boogeyman under your bed murmuring “End the Fed, end the Fed.” Don’t let the boogeyman get you!
  • From Paddy in one of yesterday’s comments sections: “The Irrelevance of the Death of Bin Laden. Yep. And this, too from Kevin Wilmeth at Rifleman Savant. One of the few local friends who reads my blog was disappointed that I didn’t have more to say on Bin Laden’s alleged death. But I knew you guys would fill in all the blanks with your comments.
  • Should you “go Galt” and strike? Objectivist think piece. In the Christian Science Monitor, of all places. I love it.
  • Hey. The Notorious Oregon LawHobbit has a brand-new gun blog. Well, a guns, law, money, and politics blog. (He swears Jim Bovard made him do it.)

Pat May 3, 2011 6:02 am

The next step after Della Femina shrugging will be govt stating that no person is allowed to shrug, under penalty of law. Sound familiar, Hank Rearden?

To paraphrase a hymn: Nearer, by god, to doomsday.

2. Joyce Sternberg
    Joyce Sternberg May 3, 2011 6:22 am

When I suggested yesterday that without a body – they were “blowin’ smoke” – I was told I needed to “get myself out of such negativity”. If you needed another reason NOT to believe this, OBAMA announced it ! ! ! !

3. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal May 3, 2011 7:28 am

Governments lie. Anyone who doesn’t know and accept that is delusional.

4. MS Jordan
    MS Jordan May 3, 2011 10:40 am

Re Bin Laden whoop de dooo

Shrugging – that’s what we all do at some level, some of us more – some less – my goal has always been to shrug as much as I can, as often as I can – reducing my statist footprint every time.

Hey, Claire can you contact me via email

5. Kevin Wilmeth
    Kevin Wilmeth May 3, 2011 10:50 am

Regarding the instant heresy of not joining in the OBL blood-dance: interesting. I’ll admit I hadn’t thought of the (rather obvious, really) possibility that this whole exercise might have been its own end.

Even fully expecting the useful idiot army to begin right away with the propaganda effort (they are ever so dependable, aren’t they?), now as that tiresome whining starts to ramp up in earnest, I realize I just missed a quite likely possibility: that it might be as simple as deliberately manufacturing a “new” enemy, rather than a misdirection ploy to offload threatening criticism from other quarters (regardless of the purpose of the misdirection: election momentum, scandal avoidance, quelling metastasizing criticism, etc.).

Or: both.

Duh. That would be just as obvious, wouldn’t it? And this would kinda be like a two-birds-with-one-stone shot for the Establishment’s current position: not only does this “new event” signal the need for everyone to “stop being so negative” about all the murder, mayhem, theft and fraud (ingrates…we got him, didn’t we? Now STFU!) that’s been accumulating steadily over the last N generations, but hey, as long as we’re ridiculing anyone who distrusts The Authoritative Word On The Subject, why not just make ’em into a new (yeah, I know…”new”…ha ha) enemy as well? OBL’s effectiveness as a bogeyman has been used up, and every protection racket knows that its survival depends on an endless parade of new bogeymen, so why not go for the two-fer here?

And all that (extra) secrecy of the last decade can pay off now, since none of us knows exactly what did happen, to whom, or when. Whoso is the sole custodian of all those secrets can simply pick which one(s) to employ, to first taunt and then confront and ridicule any doubters who happened to pick the wrong detail(s) on which to base their doubts.

Pretty sweet deal, really, for the current Administration. Too bad cui bono? has become a heretic’s question (again), and not a critical tool of maintaining a vigilant watch on a known repeat offender.

Sheesh. Must be slipping, to have missed that one. šŸ™‚

6. Kevin Wilmeth
    Kevin Wilmeth May 3, 2011 11:13 am

One more thought on the whole OBL thing: That was an awfully big chip to cash in, wasn’t it?

7. Scott
    Scott May 3, 2011 12:22 pm

I reject your reality and substitute my own..maybe not such a bad idea?..

MamaLiberty May 3, 2011 1:31 pm

Kevin… seems we must wait to see if that was a casino type chip… or a cow chip.

šŸ™‚ I’d love to think it was the latter.

9. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair May 4, 2011 6:13 am

But… but… I AM a member of the tinfoil hat brigade. We meet every September 31, at 9am sharp, and march around the block wearing our tinfoil hats. Some of us bring our jackalope licenses and .22 rifles.

šŸ™‚

10. just thinkin
    just thinkin May 4, 2011 1:06 pm

OBL’s “death” is probably a diversion. the govt. has to give the VOLK a little good news before the rioting breaks out. the scary part is going to be the blowback. one thing to keep in mind is this, between now and the 2012 election it is going to BENEFIT the current regime if and when we have another attack. just like the one [election] in 2004 when Dubya was talking about “can’t change horses in midstream” SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT! I’m staying away from crowded public spaces for sure.

11. The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit
    The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit May 10, 2011 1:22 pm

This is great! If I ever forget where I put my blog, I can come over to the link from Claire’s! Old age is no longer the threat it once was!* šŸ˜‰

*why would I forget my own blog, but not Claire’s? simple – Claire is far more unforgettable than I’ll ever be. šŸ™‚

12. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard May 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Did Vanity Fair attest to which version of the government’s story that good Americans must accept? lt gets tricky with all those official revisions.

13. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard May 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Actually, rechecking that Vanity Fair, he posted his denunciation of disbelievers Monday a week ago at 4:15 in the afternoon.

Within 48 hours, the Obama administration had admitted that many of its own assertions about the raid were completely false.

I reckon this VF dude didn’t have time to update his piece.

Claire May 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Jim — We’re supposed to believe every government version, of course. Sequentially. You know that. The old version just goes down the memory hole when Our Glorious Leaders are done with it. “We have always been at war with Oceania …”