Knife rights under attack/new at S.W.A.T.

S.W.A.T. magazine (which I so mind-bogglingly write for) now has a digital edition — as well as a jazzy new look to its website. I hear that an online store is also on the way.

The digital edition includes only selected articles. But the setup is very nice and publisher Rich Lucibella (who himself uses an “alternative” browser and operating system) has laid down the law to his techies that everything must be cross-platform compatible. Good for Rich. (Oh, how often we non-Microsofties get a front-row seat in the theater of terrible web design! It’s amazing how many companies apparently want only IE users to patronize their businesses.)

Anyhow, getting down to the subject at hand, although this isn’t “officially” available on the S.W.A.T. site as far as I can see, Rich Lucibella sends this gift: a copy of my May 2011 article “Knife Rights Under Attack.”

Many thanks to Rich, editor Denny, and Doug Ritter of KnifeRights.org, the true Second Amendment group for knife owners.

1. Scott
    Scott May 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Knife laws vary greatly from state to state,even county to county,city to city..cop to cop. Here,(Kentucky), the laws are pretty loose,but if you get up into the Northeast..they can be pretty tightly wedged about pocketknives. My black handled tech-series Swiss Army knife might be considered a weapon(it looks “threatening”),but an identical model with the standard red handles wouldn’t..in some states, the lockback blade in my meant-for-bicycles multitool would make it a weapon. When you figure it out, ‘splain it to me.

MamaLiberty May 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Very interesting! I’m so glad I got to see that article…

Just what I need… another organization to belong to. But I just started carrying a knife along with my gun (yes, there are reasons), so I’d best get up to speed with this stuff.

No rest for the wicked, or even the semi-good. 🙂

3. Matt
    Matt May 17, 2011 7:51 pm

I do appreciate the fact that AZ is normalizing it’s knife laws to match the firearms laws. Most people around here don’t worry at all about what they carry, how, where etc. The AZ CCW has always covered knives too.

ML, glad to hear you are carrying a kinfe along with your gun. There are lots of things knives do better than Guns. Often a gun just gives you stand off range when it comes to defense. Knives are also handy for opening letters, cutting string, peeling fruit etc.

4. Rick Burner
    Rick Burner May 18, 2011 3:52 am

I’ve never figured out knife laws. Here in Florida automatic knives are completely legal–but you have to carry them openly unless you have a CCW permit. If you carry openly you’re taking a chance on being arrested since most police officers don’t know the law.
    After a night in jail you’ll be told, “we decided not to prosecute.”
    Yes, it happened to someone I know. He never got his $200 knife back.

5. Matt
    Matt May 18, 2011 8:19 am

It is funny that a knife that opens with a spring is illegal, but a knife I can open just as fast with a thumb-stud or blade cut out is legal.

When I was in Germany in the 80’s I was able to purchase, on the German market, switchblades, daggers, stilletos, and butterfly knives. I still have nice examples of each, even a switch blade with a tourist scene sold as a souvenier.

6. Scott
    Scott May 18, 2011 9:16 am

Rick-I lived In Florida back in the late 1970s-early 1980s..flea markets had all manner of sharp things, medeival replicas,guns-you name it..all perfectly legal. Some tourist places had small switchblades with “Florida” on them. For one job, I had a folder with a 10″ blade(11 and a half in. folded). I used it to cut foam rubber and styrofoam.I rode a bike to work with this blade in hand, or in a back pocket/between belt. Never had a problem. In high school, I bought knives at flea markets with no problems.
    At that time, if you lived in rural areas, there was,for all practical purposes, no law to speak of..