Man, this round of deadlining is hurting my head and my whole self. I’ve just done the second draft of the most difficult article I’ve written in years. Probably wrote 15,000 words overall (that’s about 1/6th of a novel, people) to get 4,000 that I hope are useable. Write, rewrite, cut, cut, cut, rewrite, cut, cut. Have a feeling the client will still want one more session of slash and burn. Maybe tear the thing down to 3,000 or 3,500.
After that, more deadlines. More challenging ones, in a way. Some days, I wish I’d taken up a promising career in ditch-digging when I had a chance.
But you know us writers and arty types. We Suffer in true capital-S style.
In the meantime, while I’m destroying my health and sanity for The Sake of My Art (but don’t worry about me ...), you might want:
- To check out this advice for the single or small-space food shopper.
- To kiss a pit bull or witness a tank-dog weapons test.
- To beware of VIPRs in our midst.
- To read Roberta X’s comment on the upcoming demonstration of FEMA Power. Turns out she’s somewhat of an insider to this Emergency Alert System business.
- And most fervently … to send your best hopes, or prayers if you’re the praying kind, for Scott Olsen.