Expectations vs reality

I was working on this really, you know, weighty and probably even profound blog post about expectations vs reality. Specifically school vs reality and the way things that we’re taught are really, really vitally important … aren’t.

But forget that. That thought didn’t gel. Or hasn’t yet.

While researching, however, I found this take on expectations vs reality. Different. 🙂

A tasty (well, I wouldn’t actually count on that …) sample from that link:

expectationsvsreality

1. lelnet
    lelnet May 1, 2013 4:44 am

Never attempt to frost a cupcake until it’s cool.

That could be a metaphor about so many things, in life.

But it could also be about cupcakes.

Mmm…cupcakes!

2. Matt, another
    Matt, another May 1, 2013 7:19 am

Perfect illustration of expectations vs reality. We expect the nice picture of expertly prepared cupcakes, but in reality are satisified with the normal cupcakes.

Pat May 1, 2013 7:28 am

**Many, many years ago** I EXPECTED this country to remain sane, rational and benevolent. I EXPECTED my representatives to say what they mean, and mean what they say. I EXPECTED an honest and objective economy that we could trust and feel secure with.

Today… the REALITY.

4. David
    David May 1, 2013 8:32 am

If you lick the frosting off of a cupcake it becomes a muffin, and well all know that muffins are good for you

5. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal May 1, 2013 9:14 am

That is a perfect illustration of my life!!!

6. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember May 1, 2013 7:10 pm

David, If you lick the frosting off of a cupcake it most certainly does not become a muffin.

And, if you’re Primal or Paleo, you’d certainly know muffins are not good for you.

C.W. wrote, “… the way things that we’re taught are really, really vitally important … aren’t.”

That’d be funny if it was sooo…. I don’t know, real

P.S.
    Shel. I wished you would have left a title, I’m just about out of bandwidth for the month and cannot watch the video. Was it, Paint It Black?

7. jed
    jed May 1, 2013 7:18 pm

The Stones: No Expectations.

Mmmm, frosting!

Lately, I’m feeling Cretaceous. Can I have a cookie?

8. Shel
    Shel May 1, 2013 7:28 pm

IAM: Sorry, I didn’t think of that. It was “No Expectations.”

A friend who’s a well intentioned Obama supporter (read, “Useful Idiot” ala Lenin) recently sent me a post by a Rumanian woman who wrote about how wonderful the American response to 9/11 was and that only in a land of freedom could that happen. One of the emailers had commented on how brilliant the article was. All I could think was you think this country’s wonderful? Maybe it is for the moment, but my head is swimming with the difference in expectations. I can understand how we can look that way to a Rumanian, but I can’t understand how a thinking American could come to that conclusion.

In searching for an efficient link I just discovered that this article, titled “Ode to America,” was written 10 years ago. I feel safe in surmising a lot has happened since then. http://mirceagoia.quora.com/An-Ode-to-America-a-10-years-ago-editorial

9. cctyker
    cctyker May 1, 2013 8:51 pm

Into whose cup should be put those hot cakes?

Or are they mighty muffled muffins minding militated frosting manipulators?

Many muffins get muffled by the mighty hand with the frosting.

(I tried.)

10. winston
    winston May 8, 2013 6:34 am

Oh man, I wish I had heard of this while I was in S. Korea. I thought America was bad about false advertising but over there they have NO scruples when it comes to that stuff. Just as a small example I bought a microwavable little mini pizza at GS25 (their 7-11) and it showed a picture of like a toasted sub roll loaded with meat and cheese and peppers and that weird sweet frosting crap they put on pizza in Korea…what I got was, quite literally, a soggy peice of wonderbread with naught but a very small amount of cheese and 2 microscopic pepperonis. I mean at least a digorno pizza RESEMBLES what’s on the front of the box…

So glad I left that place