Thursday links

• No fair! How come the CIA doesn’t deliver bags of cash to me? I’m sure I could stay bought at least as well as the typical third-world puppet. (We all know those standards aren’t too high.) It’s a sure thing I could find some cronies to share the loot with. Heck, I’d probably have cronies crawling out of the woodwork as soon as they learned I was the source of buckets of untraceable dollars. I’ll bet I could even find a warlord or two to fund. So why not me? Why not you? But since it’s not us, I’d like to ask the CIA: Are you being sure to write suspicious activity reports (SARs) on yourself for sneaking all that secret dough out of the country? Are you going to arrest yourself and confiscate all your own assets any time soon? P.S. If you ever do start delivering to me, I prefer gold. Paper is so ticky-tacky. Thank you.
  • Ahem. In other news: First dog to get four prosthetic limbs. And he’s still got that troublemakin’ cattledog grin.
  • Fans of the anti-snitch book: here’s some more good advice, particularly if you’re involved in any group activism. (Thank you, Hobbit, for the link.)
  • Creepy. Weird. Surprise school shooting scenario. At least the teachers drew good rural western conclusions. Still creepy. Still weird. (H/T MF from comments.)
  • Man spends (fortunately small) life savings. On a carnival game. Wins a stuffed banana. With dreadlocks. No doubt it was all the carnival operator’s fault. The idiot victim will probably end up getting compensation and tax-paid counseling.
  • This is not a good way to go Outlaw. Still, it’s pretty amazing this disappearing mom remained between the cracks so long even in the Surveillance Age.

NOTE: Somehow, comments got turned off on this post. Links posts don’t usually get a lot of comment, anyhow. But I just caught the problem and turned that feature back on, in case anyone’s interested.

1. naturegirl
    naturegirl May 2, 2013 1:41 pm

I saw that. I wondered what happened, LOL.

Henry at the carnival game: isn’t a bright one. I wonder how people like that survive well enough to have money to begin with.

2. naturegirl
    naturegirl May 2, 2013 1:46 pm

And regarding runaway mom – Easiest place to hide is in a pack of homeless people. But one look at her before and current pix tells ya it’s not easy in all other ways.

3. Jim B.
    Jim B. May 2, 2013 2:58 pm

Saw only the headline of the guy playing the carnival game. Led me to believe he spent a lot more than he actually did. It is possible to get too involved playing a game before you know it. Many of those games usually have difficultlies to win anything but the smallest prizes or have very convuluted rules to win the bigger prizes.

The guy’s a sucker, but not as big as the headlines would lead you to believe.

4. Jim B.
    Jim B. May 2, 2013 3:55 pm

Just saw this link in the book Tiny Homes by Lloyd Kahn. It looks to be right up your alley Claire.

Check out the Taylor Camp links on the site.

5. Johnathan
    Johnathan May 2, 2013 5:19 pm

I’m surprised nobody opened fire with a real gun on the fake shooters staging the drill 🙂

Claire May 2, 2013 5:45 pm

Jim B, although I know the media likes to exaggerate, in this case I also had the sense that the guy himself was raising heck about his “life savings.” So who knows?

Nice link on “Finding Utopia.” Back in the day I’d have fantasized about living in a place like Taylor Camp.

Claire May 2, 2013 5:49 pm

Jonathan — Yeah, you got that right.

I also wondered about “shooting blanks.” While that just might be mediaspeak for something else altogether, the first thing that occurred to me is that blanks can be dangerous, even deadly at close range (see Jon-Erik Hexum, once-upon-a-time almost-famous TV star: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum). Firing blanks at random around a room? As my mother used to say, “You could put somebody’s eye out!”

8. LarryA
    LarryA May 2, 2013 9:55 pm

[ I wonder how people like that survive well enough to have money to begin with.]

According to the story his “life savings” was $2,600, of which he apparently had $2K at home in cash and $600 with him at the carnival. So I’d guess “having money” isn’t one of his problems.

9. Bonnie
    Bonnie May 3, 2013 8:00 am

That school “shooting” was so stupid! What if one of the teachers had his/her weapon? It could have turned out very badly for all involved.

Where’s MIke Royko when you need him? He was so good about writing up government stupidity.

10. A.G.
    A.G. May 5, 2013 12:08 am

“Anywhere you can find true communion with other people, anywhere you can enjoy the subtleties and spiritual qualities of the natural world, there you’ve found Taylor Camp.”

///

The strong and peaceful looks on their faces!