Silver Circle now online

I’ve been wanting to see the anti-fed adventure movie Silver Circle since I first heard of it.

The trailers looked pretty cool.

The USA is rocked by utter economic and currency collapse. A group of rebels fight back against the Federal Reserve, provoking an investigation that winds through action, romance, and conspiracy to reveal the true root of corruption.

Wow yeah. That sounds awesome.

Alas, the producers declined to make a copy available for this potential reviewer (pooh!). Or anybody for a long, long time. First it seemed there were years of delays in completing the thing (hey, that’s Hollywood). Then they kept sending invitations to travel to places 1,500 or 2,500 miles away where folks on their e-list could view! the exciting! new! film! at a one-off screening.

Maybe some of you got a look at it at PorcFest or a con. Me, no. 🙁 And not being the reincarnation of Roger Ebert, I had no clout for getting a copy of the thing. So I defaulted to ignoring it and sulking in a corner.

I still think it sounds like a cool film.

Now they’ve announced that Silver Circle has gone online via iTunes and other e-venues. One of those is Amazon. Rent it using that link and you’ll send a few bits of silver my way. You can also get the graphic novel in paperback or Kindle versions on Amazon.

Because my ‘Net connection is too slow for good streaming, I still have to wait for some old-fashioned thing (I think they used to be called “DVDs”) before I can view the film. So I’m returning to my long sulk in the corner, this time with my lower lip pooched out and trembling pathetically. (Do I sound a little whiny? Yes? Well you see, that’s because I AM.)

But I still think it looks like a seriously cool movie.

1. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember July 2, 2013 5:55 pm

Silver Circle, seems interesting and entertaining.

And a sign of the times.

I stopped by your blog tonight to mention a tiny thing I saw today.
    Odd timing, or something:

Next to the ‘We Buy Gold’ signs everyone knows about and which are all over my city (do you all have guys dressed in yellow chicken costumes waving and trying to entice gold sellers to come in and sell, as well?)… anyway, today I saw a banner next to the ‘We Buy Gold’ sign that said, ‘We Buy Silver’.

I’ve never seen a, ‘We Buy Silver’ sign before,… until today.

In contrast to the gold colored background of the ‘We Buy Gold’ sign, the silver colored background of the sign really jumped out at me.

2. Dick
    Dick July 4, 2013 7:13 pm

Film kinda sucked but OK at only $3 rental. The nightmarish government portrayed in the film is realistic enough.. To much emphasis is placed on making the FED the bad guy. there are plenty of alphabet agencies that can be considered far more evil. The “rebels” are an “Occupy” protesters wet dream. in fact I’m pretty sure about 99% of the occupy protesters have this dream with about 1% actually trying to do anything. in the end you wont completely regret spending the 3$ and a lazy afternoon on this film. The silver coin design was nice and some of the plot elements were interesting . I’m looking forward to Alongside Night. Supposedly the film is completed. Found the book to be somewhat interesting. would be a good film. However my main issue with Libertarian lit is the idealistic outlook it has in the aftermath of a government downfall. Afghanistan was basically anarcho-capitalist for a long time with petty warlords moving in and imposing rule by violence. In the end the anarcho-capitalists lost. Maybe I missed it but I haven’t seen or read of a working govrrnment-less example in the real works.

3. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember July 5, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for that review, Dick.

Also, if the warlords in Afghanistan were imposing rule by force, how do you reckon that’s anarcho-capitalism? That seems contrary to the definition of anarcho-capitalism.

Aside from the Vikings, here’s as close of a couple of examples of working government-less in the real world that I know:

“Examples of decentralized society in history are often hidden. They are hidden because those in decentralized societies never bothered to keep records. They are also hidden for the purposes of the current state. I have previously written about anarchy in the Southeast Asian Highlands as one example. Here, I will present the time of the Middle Ages as another.” …

4. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember July 5, 2013 1:33 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about this other more recent example of government-less. Among a few other things, check out how property rights were established and maintained without the need for a government:

The Culture of Violence in the American West: Myth versus Reality

Pat July 5, 2013 1:50 pm

“However my main issue with Libertarian lit is the idealistic outlook it has in the aftermath of a government downfall.”

Well, I thought “The Probability Broach” worked pretty well. So did “Hardyville Tales”. I wouldn’t mind living in either of those idealisitc worlds, after a gov downfall.

The problem with a libertarian society is that _it’s never been done before_, there’s never been a free society to pattern after, neither political, economic nor social. So libertarian lit must rely on imagination and hope, and that comes in many packages.

The nicest thing about a libertarian/ancap society is that it doesn’t have to be laid out in any particular way, it certainly doesn’t have to conform to any known style or ‘ism’ – in short, it can afford to be idealistic *because* it’s never been done before. And maybe it’s considered “idealistic” because it’s never been done before.

6. Dick
    Dick July 6, 2013 10:08 am

IndividualAudienceMember, thanks for the links. I had completely forgotten about the not so wild wild west

And how could I have forgotten that town located in a red-rock valley 600 miles west of the precise geographic middle of nowhere.. The Hardyville takes are a favourite of mine. It’s been instrumental in actually converting a few friends of mine. The transformation was awe inspiring. I gave out about 6 of those books and only 3 individuals failed to make a full transformation. But hell even I don’t subscribe fully to the philosophy. I just go by Hardyvilles 2 laws

Cheers
    😀

Claire July 6, 2013 12:04 pm

Awwwww, Dick. You’ve even got the location perfectly memorized. I’m so touched — and astounded at what the successes you’ve had with the book.

And oh yeah, the Code of Hardyville. Might have to resurrect that via blog link one of these days soon.

8. velojym
    velojym July 6, 2013 7:56 pm

Without a huge budget, you could probably do pretty well with a film adaptation of Hardyville. Silver Circle reminded me of the cinematics from previous versions of Grand Theft Auto, but I liked the story.

Anyway, not to be pushy or anything, Hardyville would make a hell of a film.
    🙂