1. Shel
    Shel July 3, 2013 2:00 pm

It may not be as bad as it seems. According to the “Traveler’s Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States,” 2013 edition, Ohio is a “shall issue” CCW state, and concealed carry is permitted in the outdoor areas of state parks. If I were a jihadist, Independence Day would seem like a pretty good day to make a hit, so some of these rules make sense to me.

A pessimist might say, though, that the only reason firearms (and other weapons) aren’t prohibited is because state law specifically permits their carry by licensed CCW holders.

2. Chris
    Chris July 3, 2013 2:18 pm

You might be interested in this bit of satire:

“July 4: Obama to exhume, posthumously hang Paul Revere for spying, treason”

3. Matt, another
    Matt, another July 3, 2013 2:24 pm

Unfortunately I do believe it is serious. It is similar to laws we have in our parks during special events. Locally alcohol is allowed but only if it is purchased from a properly licensed vendor while wearing an armband in within the fenced enclosure. So far, bags and coolers are not searched, they are just not allowed in.

4. Leonidas
    Leonidas July 3, 2013 2:54 pm

The sign as posted appears to be a photoshop project as it casts no shadow. That is not to say however that the rules do not apply. It makes perfect sense here in Moronistan.

Joel July 3, 2013 3:05 pm

Sad as it seems, those rules look too normal for the sign to be a joke.

Enjoy your holiday celebrating your freedom, citizens. That is an order.

Claire July 3, 2013 3:40 pm

Chris —

Gadzooks, that sounds so much like what the current Regimistas would actually say …

7. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 3, 2013 3:55 pm

Clearly a photoshop. Sparklers are always on the list of government-approved fireworks.

This is one item that made me appreciate Beaverton (Oregon) where I lived for so many years. Every 4th the local rulers would make proclamations that firearms laws would be enforced; and every 4th the people would completely ignore the laws and people everywhere would shoot off some pretty amazing rockets and the rest of it. Scofflaws are my kind of people.

Should be pretty good this year since it was wet so late. Less worry about starting a fire. One year I did see a pretty big fire started with fireworks up in the Cascades. That’s not good…

8. TN James
    TN James July 3, 2013 4:32 pm

This sign pretty much sums up our ” free country” today. Sign of the times…. (sic).

Claire July 3, 2013 5:32 pm

Update: I was going to give Leonidas an argument about that shadow. Not saying the pic is real or fake, just talking shadow. But I decided to look it up. Unless somebody is spoofing an entire really boring website for a city, that sign is real:

Didn’t see a photo, but them are the rules, and I’ll bet that photo is the genuine article.

10. NMC_EXP
    NMC_EXP July 3, 2013 7:23 pm

Claire

I do not think the sign is a joke.

Reason being, tonight the local news had a story about the fireworks display at Bloomington IL. The newsbabe/stenographer read a press release from the local cops. It was nearly a carbon copy of the rules listed on this sign….including video surveillance.

As time goes by the cops from different areas seem to be on the same page….uniformity of oppression is the new interpretation of the “equal protection clause”?

The cop brass spend a lot of time (and taxdollars) going to seminars and etc. Then there are the fusion centers. People with small minds find all this uniform training, policy and doctrine reassuring I suppose.

Then there are contrarians like me.

Regards

Jim

“Go ahead, it’s a free country”….When was the last time you heard that phrase used?

Pat July 3, 2013 8:37 pm

That sign may exist at Lakewood Park, but staring hard at that picture, I’d swear those rules were superimposed over a photo. Just my 2 cents…

12. RickB
    RickB July 4, 2013 2:52 am

No joke. I just looked up the rules for my town’s July 4 celebration at “Central Park.” Very similar. Sparklers are specifically prohibited–and here in Florida merchants can legally sell almost any kind of fireworks–including those that aren’t legal to fire off. All fireworks laws are ignored. Except at government parks.

MamaLiberty July 4, 2013 5:57 am

The only “rules” in the park downtown here is: Don’t start fights, don’t hurt anybody and clean up after your dogs. That’s really about it. OC, CC, nobody much cares. The big fireworks program will be at the fairgrounds nearby. Same rules…

But I’m not going to the park or the fairgrounds anyway. A bunch of us are going out to a private rifle range to do some shooting, then we’ll have a picnic. I’m sure some of the boys will indulge their inner pyromania and bring fireworks of some kind.

Can’t imagine why anyone would want to go to that park in Ohio, or anywhere that regimented. And no, none of those outrageous “rules” would even slow down a true “terrorist.”

14. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal July 4, 2013 5:58 am

The shadow thing:
    From the angle of the sun, the height of the sign off the ground (look at the wire frame holding it up- I have the same racks and know how high they are), where the bottom edge of the photo is in relation to where the ground would be… I don’t think a shadow would show up in the photo.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t photoshopped; just that I don’t think the lack of a shadow means it is.

Claire July 4, 2013 6:22 am

Bingo! That was my observation, too, Kent.

Anyhow, the rules are real, and they are no doubt posted in the city park where they apply.

Pat July 5, 2013 8:26 am

“…(look at the wire frame holding it up- I have the same racks and know how high they are),”

Oops, I didn’t see the rack; I thought it was a stick lying on the ground. I just recently had to buy new glasses and apparently they (or I) aren’t working too well.

17. winston
    winston July 5, 2013 1:42 pm

They can have my 40 of Mickeys when they pry it from…wait no actually I usually throw them at people at that point.

I’m the most peaceful drinker ever until some poor well meaning idiot tries to enforce some dumb rule on me despite all my friends standing behind me making the “no no no leave him alone for the love of god” gesture…

18. Kent McManigal