Weekend freedom question: Egypt

EgyptianMessage_0713

Source. Via Wendy. Comments at the source are well worth reading.

I usually don’t ask political questions. But signs are that this “interesting” week in Egypt will have repercussions that are long-term, widespread, and personal. So …

Was it a coup, a revolution — or simply a restoration of the revolution that began in Tahrir Square in the Arab Spring? What will the repercussions be — for U.S. policy, for Obama, and for freedom anywhere?

The U.S. government has a history of “backing the wrong horse.” Nothing new there. But the potential consequences seem unusually large this time.

Joel July 6, 2013 11:42 am

All I know about Egypt is what I read on the news.

Which means I can’t trust a single thing I might think I know about Egypt.

Which means I don’t know a single thing about Egypt.

Therefore I have no opinion I’d care to express on that subject.

Claire July 6, 2013 12:02 pm

Um … fair enough, Joel. I’ve thought the same on many an issue, though with Egypt there seems to be a lot of alternative news coming through. Oh well.

Anyhow, ElBaradei just got appointed prime minister …

… which seems a positive sign, never mind the lack of … er, various democratic nicities. He’s always struck me as a good man and certainly no fanatical religionist.

3. Ellendra
    Ellendra July 6, 2013 12:18 pm

It’s nice to see that somebody over there recognizes that we aren’t our politicians any more than they are. I left a gardening forum recently because I got sick of the number of Brits treating me and Obama as interchangeable.

4. Jim B.
    Jim B. July 6, 2013 12:54 pm

They can’t stop the signal anymore! At least not until they decide they want to turn off the InterWeb.

This, it is this, that’s a great thing about the Internet. That we can find out things that the TPTB don’t want us to find out. Which is why Hillary was famously (should that be infamously?) hated the Internet. That she wanted only the Mainstream Media to control information.

I was also glad to see that at least the Egyptians knew enough to separate out the government from the people of America. That the two are basically two separate entities for the most part.

5. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember July 6, 2013 1:40 pm

Seems to me the NWO types wanted a more pliable man in power. That’s all.

Mursi didn’t push for a nation destroying IMF deal. The NWO thrives on these IMF deals.

This will probably be the outcome, it’s nowhere near a coup, a revolution — or simply a restoration of the revolution that began in Tahrir Square in the Arab Spring, it’s just more of the same, kind of like when the unitedstate elects a new el presidente::

“Instead of expanding Egyptian democracy, he may attempt to reinvigorate elite lynchpin mechanisms such as the Egyptian central bank, societal militarization, authoritarian governance and graduated taxing authority. He will do nothing to reinforce freedom, in fact, and everything to buttress the West’s continued dominance over Egypt and over the Middle East generally.

The West’s orchestration is truly remarkable. The UK Telegraph recently carried an article written from a WikiLeaks leaked diplomatic cable describing how the US (and the Anglosphere generally) had been deliberately orchestrating a build-up anti-Mubarak feeling in Egypt for at least two years and maybe longer. US intel was evidently educating the “youth” of Egypt (Egypt being a young country demographically) on how to carry out a successful revolt.” …

“deliberately orchestrating” – just like they did here with the OWS movement. They’ll do it again too, no doubt.

6. velojym
    velojym July 6, 2013 1:44 pm

I find it heartening that these folks seem to realize that we are no longer in control of “our” government. Now, if only more Americans figured it out.

7. IndividualAudienceMember
    IndividualAudienceMember July 6, 2013 2:04 pm

In answer to, What will the repercussions be:

“So much for democracy in the Mideast. The overthrow of a moderate Islamist government will send a message to the Muslim world that compromise with the Western powers is impossible and only violent resistance can shake the status quo.”

What will the repercussions be — … for freedom anywhere?

8. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 6, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for that Margolis article link. I find him the most credible source of all in that region.

Looks like the US ruling class has pulled off another coup (literally), but I can’t help but think those internet pictures of protest banners are not approved by the rulers. So the situation may still develop and change. I wish those Egyptians luck.

9. David
    David July 7, 2013 8:26 am

I would chime in, but my answer would be biblical.

10. Roger
    Roger July 8, 2013 2:38 pm

Claire, as I have mentioned before my late wife was from Gaza so in our 33 years together we spent quite a lot of time in the middle east. Most Westerners fail to understand that in Egypt and Turkey the military are very powerful. They are also very secular. If you looked at a who’s who of the Egyptian forces you would notice that few senior officers have beards. This is to emphasise there secular stance. It may sound absurd to you but the beard or lack of is a big thing in many Islamic dominated countries.
    The Egyptian forces were deeply unhappy with Morsi and his Islamist leanings, his attempts to change the constitution and frequent attempts to install Islamist yes men to key positions in the army. They can and will be utterly ruthless if necessary and they will not permit an Islamic dominated government.
    Erdogan in turkey is also going to have to watch his back as unease with his policies is rapidly rising there!