Midweek links

1. Jim B.
    Jim B. July 9, 2013 6:22 pm

“(But if they quit killing our pets, how will the cowards control us???”

They’ll just move on to the other targets that has always been in the front of the muzzles of those guys, kids. Remember that they likely don’t care about pointing those guns where-ever. They don’t have good muzzle disciplines and far too many kids gets shot.

Kids running to their daddies’ aid after getting shot? Blam, the officer was worried for his safety.

Yes, I am that cynical when it comes to those badge boys.

2. A.G.
    A.G. July 9, 2013 9:17 pm

Part of the benefit of bring a historian (even at the amatuer level) is having the ability to glean the best from other eras and cultures, while leaving the rest. Gaining perspective on today’s issues, and learning to appreciate at a deeper level the technogy that makes our lives more pleasant. Air conditioning comes to mind at the moment.

The above comment has little if anything to do with nostalgia, but the thought has been bouncing around inside my noggin for a couple of months now. Thank you for providing me with an outlet. Back in the good ol’ days I didn’t have one.

Pat July 10, 2013 1:52 am

“There are *some parts of* Idaho, Montana, Illinois, and New Mexico that also allow Constitutional Carry.” [my emphasis]

How does a partial Constitutional Carry work? Does it have to do with what County the person lives in, and concealed carry is required for the rest of the State? Or isn’t a County the determining factor in this law?

Does anyone know?

4. winston
    winston July 10, 2013 2:17 am

As I’m trying to get back into a bit of writing I’m finding it damn hard to come up with any mind-blowing dystopian scifi themes… with real life the way it is now, even the craziest made up scenarios tend to just come across as me trying to blatantly write thinly veiled mockeries of the current global situation or whatever…

5. Pre-press veteran
    Pre-press veteran July 10, 2013 4:27 am

Winston – at this point, art imitates life, I think. And there’s just too much out there in the “you can’t make this crap up” category… to write wild fiction.

Maybe a classic, traditional western? crime novel? instead?

6. ILTim
    ILTim July 10, 2013 6:00 am

Pat, I think its a county by county thing. In Illinois, several counties were watching the state CCW circus and simply decided to make up their own rules. These rules are nullified now, as the state law preempts local restrictions (thank god, Chicago we’re looking at you).

Montana, IIRC, requires a CCW permit in the populous areas but is constitutional carry in the rural bits. Or open/concealed along the same lines.

Pat July 10, 2013 6:57 am

ILTim – Thanks for your response.

I was wondering how that would work; if anyone traveled to another County or area, s/he would not have the benefit of Constitutional Carry anyway. It seems Const.C. is more a moral win than an actual win, unless the person never leaves his County/area.

(And yes, in Illinois’ case, state law trumping Chicago law would be better.)

8. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal July 10, 2013 8:48 am

Arkansas has finally one-upped Texas. My son who lives in Arkansas is gloating that he won’t be considered a “Criminal” for doing what he has a right to do after that law takes effect.

I am still so ashamed that Texans haven’t demanded that the government stop violating “gun rights”. Although, perhaps everyone is simply ignoring the “law” already so it’s not important to them.

MamaLiberty July 10, 2013 10:46 am

There is no actual “constitutional carry” anywhere in the US if you take the 2A to actually mean, “…shall not be infringed.” There’s plenty of infringement, even in places where no “permit” is required to carry either openly or concealed.

It’s better than Chicago or NYC, of course, but we have a long way to go. And I’m glad for the folks in IL… but I wouldn’t want to have to trust my life to being able to get a “permit,” or making much use of it. Going to take a LONG time before the cops and courts are willing to rationally deal with this. Oh wait! Cops? Rational? Pardon me, I forgot for a second who we were talking about.

In states like Wyoming that have “preemption,” individual counties and cities cannot make any laws reguarding either form of carry that impose greater restriction than the state law. At this point, open carry is not regulated, but concealed carry is still limited to the restrictions and rules in place when “permits” were required. Gun ownership/possession laws closely follow the federal definition of “felon” and mental health restrictions.

Wyomingites can still obtain a “permit” if they wish to travel to other states that recognize that WY “license,” and Wyoming still recognizes various other state “permits” for visitors. This changes from time to time, so please do a thorough websearch or call the CC gooberment office in charge of that BS to be sure you understand the current situation – as well as anyone does. But don’t trust any cop to know the current rules!