MrColionNoir and racists

MrColionNoir has been added to the blogroll’s Self-Defense Rights section this morning.

‘Course, as he says, it’s not only about self defense:

Source for those who can’t see the embed.

—–

An aside (and a question). MrColionNoir recently teamed up with the NRA for a series of videos. This has led some on the other side to get sniffy abut the NRA’s alleged history of racism.

This cry of “racist!” and “pandering!” is being made mostly by people who identify as Democrats. So my question is, how can they be so upset over NRA racism — while turning a blind eye to the fact that their organization was the party of slavery, the party that founded the KKK, wrote the Jim Crow laws, and opposed anti-lynching efforts? Even into modern times the Dems were the party that “stood in the schoolhouse door” and the party of the axe handles. Sure, by the 1960s some Dems belatedly took the side of blacks, although they did it with the insulting intent of “managing” black populations.

Heck, credible sources note that Martin Luther King was a Republican, as were most blacks of his day because of the longstanding oppression they’d suffered at the hands of the Democrats.

I still say a pox on both R and D houses, of course. And on the ever-compromising NRA (despite actually behaving like a gun-rights group this year). But if any taint of racism, ever, is sufficient to discredit any organization in the eyes of the NRA sniffers, how can they possibly justify being Dems?

Okay, it’s a rhetorical question. We all know how they do it — by maintaining a double standard. Or choosing to ignore those parts of history they find inconvenient. Still …

1. Mic
    Mic July 12, 2013 8:16 am

Your aside comments simply reinforce many American’s pathetic lack of memory and almost non-existent knowledge of history. This has been an issue for a loooooooooong time and I don’t see it going away soon. Most people are obsessed with the latest TV Reality Star’s brush with the law or who they are dating this week, but God forbid they pick up a book on American history and read it.

I agree with the Pox on the 2 houses, oh, and those people I mentioned who never pick up a dang book are often guilty of belonging to one of these knuckle-headed parties. If “their” president or party does it (rip away your civil liberties) it is perfectly OK, but if the other party does it bring out the lynch mob! Really.

2. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau July 12, 2013 8:46 am

The cry of “racism!” seems to be getting a bit disreputable these days.

A bit off topic, Mike Vanderboegh dug up this gem, I thought it was pretty amusing:

3. ILTim
    ILTim July 12, 2013 9:03 am

“how can they be so upset over NRA racism — while turning a blind eye to the fact that their organization was…”

Its plain to see, they are much better than we, they have had to overcome their past adversity!

4. G.W.F.
    G.W.F. July 12, 2013 10:02 am

Claire, Thanks for that concise, well-cited paragraph on the Democrat racial history. It is perfect! I have been looking for someone to state the FACTS, you have done it eloquently.

I try not to let the news get to me, but I am seeing this disturbing trend over the past month of articles like “Why Libertarians Will Never Shake Their Neo-Confederate Ties”, and “Ron Paul with his racist background”?!?!

I think the Democrats are seeing the trending of Libertarianism especially among the young and trying to brand the entire movement as racist after they had so much success doing that with the Tea Party. It just makes me sick, and with their own history it is just plain shameful.

5. Dick
    Dick July 12, 2013 10:49 am

this mans videos are fantastic!

6. G.W.F.
    G.W.F. July 12, 2013 11:27 am

I have been watching MrColionNoir’s videos. They are very good. Another really good one that get the message across is this one:

Hitler Survivor Condemns Gun Control ‘KEEP YOUR GUNS, BUY MORE GUNS’

7. LarryA
    LarryA July 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Whatever you think of the NRA-Institute for Legislative Action, the political side, it’s the NRA education programs that are winning the gun-rights war, both by fielding tens of thousands of NRA basic shooting instructors (I’m one) and through the NRA Foundation supporting organizations like 4-H and Hunter Education and programs like Women on Target and Refuse to be a Victim.

Wherein lies the answer. NRA instructors welcome people of color in their shooting classes. NRA encourages participation by people of color in shooting programs. We want people of color to be able to defend themselves against violence.

What racist would do that?

Claire July 12, 2013 2:19 pm

You’re right, LarryA. When I broad-brush the NRA, it’s the ILA I’m thinking of. Smack me upside the head for not acknowledging the great work the NRA and volunteers like you and MamaLiberty do in training.

9. Jim B.
    Jim B. July 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Yeah,

I often wish that the NRA education part and the ILA part would part ways so they can each focus on what they do best. I’d be willing to be a life member for the education part as long as I don’t have to deal with the betraying ILA part.

MamaLiberty July 13, 2013 9:34 am

My goal is to do whatever I can to help every person become empowered to own their life and accept responsibility for that life and their safety. Training in gun handling is actually a small part of that effort because the gun is only about 10% of what’s needed for ongoing, rational self defense.

Shameless plug: I wrote a book to supplement my NRA class material. It’s called “I Am NOT A Victim.” The first chapter is the story of the man I had to shoot to save my life. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=846

I’ll give the book free to anyone who sends me an email and requests it.
    mamaliberty at rtconnect dot net Just replace the at and dot with appropriate symbols and eliminate the spaces. I’d love to place this book into the hands of every woman on the planet.