Friday freedom question

It’s that time of year again. And the question is (actually questions are) Are you making new year’s resolutions this time around?

If yes, care to post your top resolutions in comments?

If you don’t make resolutions, why not?

—–

Personally, I do make them, though not necessarily at the appointed and dictated time. I’ve done birthday resolutions, October resolutions, and yeah, occasionally even the new year’s kind. This year I’m going with new year.

I think resolutions — just another word for goals — are important in the cause of being the boss of your ownself.

It doesn’t even matter if you fulfill them. They point life in a conscious direction. They are a beacon, a point to return to for guidance, even when life (as it is so very wont to do) smacks you off course. The are all about self-determination, even in the face of the most monstrous external control freakery or nasty twists of fate — which is (no surprise) also what freedom is all about.

1. nevermind
    nevermind December 27, 2013 5:57 am

No resolutions this year. Cancer is likely to claim me sometime this year and I am too busy living in the moment to bother with resolve. So sue me. ๐Ÿ™‚

MamaLiberty December 27, 2013 6:04 am

No, never have made “resolutions” in the usual sense. I make plans, set goals and decide on strategy, revising plans and even goals as necessary. This happens all year long, as situations come up.

One of my goals for spring 2014 is to get my garden squared away and bring in some chickens. Plans and strategy sessions already started. A nice thing about a committee of one… no serious arguments. LOL

3. water lily
    water lily December 27, 2013 6:27 am

I haven’t in a long time, but the other day, I wrote out ten resolutions for 2014. None of them have to do with preparedness or advancing freedom, which is odd, but..

A very dear friend of ours died from a sudden rare brain disease nine days ago, and the shock of his five-week illness – where his brain literally wasted away, put some things into perspective for me. He was a writer, a teacher, and a scholar. It was hard to watch him turn into a vegetable and die.

So, some of my resolutions are the usual: lose weight, get healthier, and exercise. Others are to spend more time with my loved ones – and be a better friend, wife, sister, and aunt. And of course, to write more and get published. ๐Ÿ™‚

Claire December 27, 2013 6:55 am

water lily — OMG, I don’t know which would be worse; to watch someone waste away slowly of a brain disease or “disappear” in a matter of weeks.

Too much death lately. But it does make you live life that much more consciously, doesn’t it?

5. The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit
    The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit December 27, 2013 7:25 am

No resolutions – simply life as it comes.

The Master gives himself up
    to whatever the moment brings.
    He knows that he is going to die,
    and he has nothing left to hold on to:
    no illusions in his mind,
    no resistances in his body.
    He doesn’t think about his actions;
    they flow from the core of his being.
    He holds nothing back from life;
    therefore he is ready for death,
    as a man is ready for sleep
    after a good day’s work.

Tao-50

6. Mike Porter
    Mike Porter December 27, 2013 7:30 am

Years ago I made a resolution to never again make a resolution, and have since had a perfect record of success in this arena. Of course, where that places the bar, be it higher or lower, is not entirely clear – though it certainly frees up ‘anticipated’ energies that may now be applied towards actual resolve as it is actually required. Some folks are better at making and keeping promises, while some of us are just better at keeping promises we’ve never made.

Pat December 27, 2013 8:19 am

I do make resolutions every year โ€” for my Birthday, which is so close to New Yearโ€™s that they become New Yearโ€™s resolutions: to clean out my house of junk and unused items, and to clean out my mind, too, of ill-conceived attitudes and ideas, while replacing them with learning something new and different, a new discipline perhaps, or a new craft (or re-visiting an old one), and leaving the politics to others.

Expanding my garden, and growing something Iโ€™ve never tried before.

And, every year, that damnable old resolution: learning to say โ€œNoโ€. Itโ€™s not as hard to say No as it used to be, but saying it NICELY is a BEAR โ€” because the older I get, the less patience I have. Alas, I never learned the art of face-to-face diplomacy, and I could start a war by saying what I really think.

8. Laird
    Laird December 27, 2013 12:04 pm

Lawhobbit, that’s a nice quote, but I prefer Hoban “Wash” Washburne’s more succinct formulation: “I am a leaf on the wind.”

As to New Year’s resolutions, I’ve never been much for them (don’t like to be told when to do things), and like MamaLiberty I make plans when appropriate, but I really do need to get serious about losing some weight so maybe this year . . . .

9. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal December 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Being so flawed and all, I always want to make resolutions, but usually don’t. Last year I made a resolution that I wouldn’t sit in front of the computer so much. And, by making it practically impossible to do so I have stuck with that resolution since last January 1. I put my computer on a shelf where I have to stand to use it. If I figure out something else I need to change about myself, which I can make a similar solution for, I’ll do it again.

10. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau December 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Kent, that’s a good idea about making yourself stand in front of the computer, and maybe even healthier. I might give that a try. Heaven knows I waste too much time on the Internet!

Other than that I’ve never got in the resolution habit. Maybe I should.

On that other subject, I’ve decided not to worry about it. At my age I’ve lived a life already so anything from here on is gravy. I sure don’t want to keep going after it has become tedious. However I did cook up a little article for old folks like me, a little while ago:

11. Matt, another
    Matt, another December 27, 2013 9:08 pm

I don’t normally make resolutions, regardless of time of year. I know what is lacking without making a thing about it. I made an exception for 2013. I made a resolution to stop taking care of other people. I blew it. Kids moved home, grandson was added, continued to provide food and shelter to a neighbor and two homeless friends, and added two more Ronin to the personal tribe. I think I will skip resolutions this year.

12. RickB
    RickB December 28, 2013 5:28 am

Never have made a new year’s resolution. I try to tackle things as they come up (successfully, sometimes).

I do reflect on the year gone by.

Some years I look back and realize that I drifted for twelve months.

Other years, like this one…

My move from an apartment to a house was, looking back, only a minor change (though I enjoy my gardening).

I started a blog (or two) for the first time. This has been a big help in clarifying my thinking.

Most of all, I’ve been cleaning out “the attic of my mind.” I’ve been working on this project for years but, even now, I discover fallacies that adversly color my every

perception. Some of them have been stored up there since childhood.

Last week I sat down to talk with my oldest son (24). We talked about some of the mistakes I’ve made and how he could avoid them. Especially the ones that hurt him and his

brother. We discussed the needs of the next generation–his children when/if he has them.

And I realized that, by God’s mercy and grace, I still have work to do, “And miles to go before I sleep.”

13. Travis H
    Travis H December 28, 2013 9:49 am

I’ve never made a New Years resolution in 36 years but this time I will. I’m going back to eating more paleo (moonshine, homemade cider and good ice cream not counting.) I want to make better nutrition decisions for my health and to set a decent foundation of food for my one year old boy. Health, happiness and energy should follow. When the boy grows up and leaves us, I want plenty of energy to have more fun with my wife. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also, I’d like to do more cartooning next year. I got one small strip published on brinkoffreedom.net and Claire used one of my drawings in her “Rats!” book which made me feel good.

I hope you all have a happy year coming up!

14. Shel
    Shel December 28, 2013 10:35 am

Two of my biggest problems have been massive wasted time on the computer and massive piles of paperwork sitting around. I haven’t yet tried the Kent M standing solution, although I do have a cheap Swedish ball that I can use to force myself to maintain at least acceptable posture. I’ve limited myself to which games I can play and which sites to go to. Fortunately the two NFL teams I followed are doing very poorly, so now I have impetus just to walk away from it. There are many excellent reasons not to follow professional sports in general or the NFL in particular; I just needed a helping nudge.

For the paperwork, I’ve decided to allot a certain amount of time per day, more for weekdays than weekends or holidays. I’ve chosen to measure myself by time spent instead of progress made, because I hate it so much I’m terribly inefficient. If I tried to set a goal for the day, there’s a very good chance I wouldn’t accomplish it and the added aggravation would become onerous, making me to want just to walk away. At least with this method, I can see some progress even if it’s minimal at times. I’m keeping a net tally of how far I’m behind, of course.

Still, almost any excuse will do to allow me to procrastinate, like typing this entry ๐Ÿ™‚

15. ENthePeasant
    ENthePeasant December 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Every resolution I’ve ever made has come to pass… and been a disaster. I’ve always had a knack for accomplishing goals, but I’m self aware enough (at least now) to understand that when I become single minded there’s hell to pay. I will give but one example. In 1976 I decided that my debauched life needed change and it was time to get married and have children. Within 4 months I was engaged and 18 months later my first wife was pregnant. That disaster haunted me for many years, and still goes on a bit to this day. There are many other examples.

16. Shel
    Shel December 29, 2013 8:55 am

EN, that’s very funny. I’ve never married, but I’ve had a couple of near misses. I’ve gone through periods when I was sure I’d never get married as well as periods when I was sure I’d be married sooner or later. Finally, I realized I just didn’t know and decided it would be better for me to try to stay neutral on my expectations. I can’t say I’ve never met anyone it couldn’t have worked out with, but the near misses turned out exactly as they should have. If I think about them, even for a moment or two, the hairs on my arms (and elsewhere) stand up.

17. Ellendra
    Ellendra December 29, 2013 11:17 am

I think my goals (I don’t like calling them “resolutions”) are pretty close to the same as last year’s:

-Make visible progress on building my house (On my last trip out there I discovered a sand layer under all the rock! That’ll be easier to dig through.)

-Expand my garden.

-Grow enough in my garden that I could, theoretically, make a living by selling the seeds.

-Plant more fruit/nut trees.

-NOT develop some new health crisis. (I didn’t make it past January last year.)

I also have a biohacking project that I really want to make happen, but right now I’m not able to do any wet-work, so it’s all theory. I either need a partner who can do the wet-work, or I need to finish my house so I have a place to do the experimenting myself.