Friday links

1. Bear
    Bear January 24, 2014 3:05 am

Pundits do suggest that Abramski is going to win his case. But…

Consider this quote from the gov’s attorney: “Mr. Palmore [assistant to the solicitor general] said the other “critical” purposes of the ATF’s agenda with determining the final buyer was ‘tracing of firearms and to prevent the anonymous stockpiling of firearms.‘”

If the gov wins, this renders moot all the legislation we’ve stopped that would have imposed universal preemptively-prove-your-innocence checks. and it would open the door for complete federal registration to end “anonymous” ownership. Bear in mind that Heller and McDonald both left in place pretty much any licensing/registration/carry limitation short of an outright ban. (“Sure, you can still own guns, so long as we know exactly what model/serial number you have. Anonymity is bad, dontcha know.“) And once the anonymous exercise of one constitutionally protected right is approved, I imagine the rest would soon fall: anonymous blogging, anonymous commenting on blogs, anonymous protests (that would only be an extension of established free speech zones and permits for protests, after all).

Maybe we’ll win this one. But the implications are too nasty to take anything for granted. And having seen recent rulings and position shifts (Roberts’ flip-flop declaring Obamacare mandates are taxes after the administration and congress both said they weren’t?).

I babbled on at greater length about the potential RKBA repercussions at my web site.

2. Karen
    Karen January 24, 2014 4:22 am

What a hoot about the “Stoner Bowl”! Even living in Colorado, I hadn’t put that together. Slow thinker here.

And I’m not a bit concerned about the Velveta shortage. Our traditional super bowl munchie is clam dip and potato chips. I’m not sure I’ve ever eaten Velveta.

About that SCOTUS/Abramski case, if anything Abramski followed too many rules by doing the transfer thru another FFL complete with background check of his uncle. Court should rule agains gov and charge ATF with filing a frivolous lawsuit.

And, as always, I loved the doggie links! The book reference was a little heartbreaking, especially since we lost our oldest furkid last month. If she had lived until mid Feb she would have been 19. It was her time and it was peaceful, but it’s still a loss. One of the other dogs is still looking for her in all her usual places.

3. Matt, another
    Matt, another January 24, 2014 6:35 am

I don’t think who the Fedgov really works for is in doubt. We know they do not work for the citizens of this country. The politicians work for the money players that can provide them money and lifestyle commensurate to a ruler. The beauracrats work for themselves to perpetuate the status quo and garner ever larger budgets.

MamaLiberty January 24, 2014 7:27 am

I’ve lost three very special dogs in my lifetime to date, one killed by feral dogs, and two euthanized. It takes a while to come round to being able to accept a new companion, but so far I’ve enjoyed each one as much or more than the last.

Depends on one’s attitude tward animals, I believe. If you see them as something as or near human, you’ll have a much harder time, of course.

5. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal January 24, 2014 7:43 am

The Google Glass story: “Unfortunately, just like the NSA issues, there is no clear line in the sand,
    Yes, there is. It is no one’s business, and the fedgov has no authority to get involved in any way whatsoever. But that’s not the “line in the sand” the government extremists are seeking, is it.

6. Scott
    Scott January 24, 2014 9:21 am

So..isn’t there still plenty of real cheese? If you needed a velveeta substitute, you could add orange-y yellow food coloring to #2 pressure grease..

7. Matt, another
    Matt, another January 24, 2014 11:26 am

There will probably plenty of the velveeta impersonators on the shelf.

8. Shel
    Shel January 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Perhaps one of the morals of the TSA(?) phone call is to insist upon detailed identification of the caller; if you don’t get it, say you won’t talk to them without it.

I had read the same article on the Abramski case. I, like Bear, thought the author was a little too optimistic. We’ll see. If Roberts again casts the deciding vote against our freedoms, it will look like it’s his purpose to swing the big cases against us when necessary, then appear “conservative” at other times.

The lady in the first dog article seems to get her animals from pet shops. That’s not good, of course. Regarding the second article, I believe animals are much more attuned to their surroundings than even those of us who weren’t raised with smartphones in their hands.

9. jed
    jed January 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Velveeta impersonators? Oy! Accept no substitutes! Demand the real processed cheese food! Not some cheap imitation!

Which, by the way, I have eaten plenty of. Seems a bit surprising in retrospect, but as a kid, Velveeta was the primary cheese-like substance used for things such as toasted cheese sammiches. I haven’t eaten any, knowingly, for at least 25 years.

Since tomorrow is Caturday, here’s the story of Stockings, the kitten.

10. naturegirl
    naturegirl January 24, 2014 8:02 pm

What Jed just said. Except I do still eat a little bit of Velveeta now and still use it in mac n cheese along with real cheeses. Never would have expected a shortage of it, LOL.

11. Jim Klein
    Jim Klein January 25, 2014 9:32 am

Hey Kent, I think you came up with the whole answer in four words…

“fedgov has no authority”

That’s a decision, and a personal one. Duh, which ones aren’t? One person at a time…it either happens or it doesn’t.

Claire, sorry to jack the thread, but your line(s) on the banner at WRSA are knockout and I don’t know in which thread it originated…

“…But of course, a lot of us are not going to fall for any of this. We’ve already made up our minds not to cooperate because government must never be allowed to know where all the guns are.”

Oh, I love that—“A lot of us are not going to fall for any of this.” I guess we’re about to see how many.

12. A.G.
    A.G. January 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Read the Amazon comments on the last one if you are in the mood for a few mild chuckles.