Holiday ramble

Well, did you enjoy your Labor Day? Or your Labour Day, for you in furrin parts who have enough leisure time to sit around adding extra letters to your holidays.

Did you spend sufficient time honoring (or is that honouring?) your public-sector overlords?

—–

I laboured all weekend — drywalling until I got worn out, then going outside and painting the house to relax. I got covered in powdery gypsum, then in latex paint, then in that gooey white joint compound that always seems to drop in fat, heavy, gelatinous glops no matter how careful you are with it. I cussed a lot and enjoyed every minute of it.

It was great, great therapy after last week’s black box trap.

By this morning I was stiff and sore and so generally tired that after dragging through a dog walk I figured I’d just sit and catch up on email and blogging all day.

Then I treated myself to bacon* and eggs and by the time I gave the leftovers to the pooches, I was so energized and proteinated I couldn’t sit still. Back to the drywall mud.

—–

Thanks to Elias Alias, Oathkeepers, and passionate devotion to JPFO, we now have nearly 1500 signatures on our petition to save Aaron Zelman’s legacy from falling into the hands of statist compromisers.

That’s three times the original goal.

And you know what? We’re going to lose. We have about a .05% chance of keeping JPFO independent because the JPFO board doesn’t give a rat’s patoot about Aaron Zelman’s legacy or uncompromised rights. The JPFO board doesn’t care about JPFO’s members, sponsors, or long-time supporters; the board members have shown shocking disdain and contempt for every JPFO stalwart through this entire process. The JPFO board doesn’t care about the many people who’ve expressed a wish (and an ability) to keep JPFO independent.

They made up their minds before anybody outside the board ever even learned what they were up to. And they’ve kept the whole deal secret for a reason.

Expect Alan Gottlieb and the JPFO board soon to announce their done deal and their intention of keeping JPFO “independent” under SAF ownership. Watch for a FAQ that strives to placate JPFO members without actually saying anything useful.

Then, once it’s over, for a while it’ll look good. They’ll toss money into a spiffed up website. They’ll send out professional mass mailings (and oh boy, will Gottlieb be pleased to have that new mailing list). They’ll make a big start. Then JPFO will slowly disappear into compromise, weasel words, and irrelevance. And nobody will notice. Five years from now, people will be saying, “Hey, whatever happened to JPFO?” If they remember it at all.

But it doesn’t matter. Because you know, you can’t kill an idea. At least not that easily. Armed Jews will live.

(And so will their friends.)

—–

Meantime …

Watch some doggies get punked by a puppet. (H/T MJR)

And have some awwwwwwwws over Ego the Canine Caregiver. (H/T Ragnar in comments)

—–

And remember that no matter how crappy your job is, it could be worse in the movies.

—–

* I had to settle for the peppered kind of bacon because the maple kind wasn’t available. Is there a federal program to cover hardships like this?

1. Bear
    Bear September 1, 2014 8:07 pm

“…no matter how crappy your job is, it could be worse in the movies.”

Scary, that. Considering that some of my jobs have involved minor lightning bolts, acid, crazed cops, urinating teenieboppers, and avoiding automatic weapons fire (and that wasn’t even in combat).

(It’s occasionally been suggested that I write a memoir. But I fear it would get reflexively filed under ‘fiction.’ My own mother didn’t believe some of my stories until they hit the national news.)

2. Matt, another
    Matt, another September 1, 2014 8:48 pm

Highlights? Lots of chilling with the Grandkids, catching up on chores and a couple of decent meals. For fun I went foraging within my city, picked eight pounds of prickly pear cactus fruit. I also found time to make a new sheath for a favorite knife.

Sorry about JPFO, but honestly I had forgot about them mostly until you mentioned writing for them. I liked the info, the passion but hated the web site. I have never seen or followed SAF, don’t like Gottleib.

Pat September 1, 2014 9:37 pm

At least the real dogs have some honor; they understand private property rights. (Better than the political dogs in D.C.) Every dog knows he intends to steal that bone, and gets scared off when “caught”.

4. LarryA
    LarryA September 1, 2014 10:23 pm

I finished up (with another instructor) a Hunter Education class Friday, and ran a concealed carry class Saturday, but I’m not sure I can claim something that much fun as “labor.”

5. Jim B.
    Jim B. September 2, 2014 8:50 am

Yeah, I had a feeling that the JPFO was pretty much a lost cause. Would be nice, very nice, if it wasn’t. The way I’ve been hearing about the dealings made me think it was already a done deal. And I’ve signed the petition hoping it wasn’t so.

My only question is: If the rest of the board didn’t care about JPFO, then why the hell was they on the board in the first place????

MamaLiberty September 2, 2014 9:00 am

“And nobody will notice.”

Oh, the same people who care now will notice. Not being able to do anything about it isn’t the same, of course. We’ll just have to go forward and put our effort into something else.

As for the “holiday,” I don’t pay much attention to any of them. My first clue is often that places are closed that should be open… websites are not updated that usually are… and I just shrug and go do something else.

Saw that puppet dog video yesterday. So funny. I have a battery operated stuffed dog that moves up and down while it sings a little song. My niece sent it to me years ago. Rascal looked at it with a puzzled expression the first time, then ignored it thereafter. I’m sure it didn’t smell right. Laddie is not fooled either. But, of course, the stuffed thing isn’t barking… and it doesn’t have a very real and yummy looking bone either. LOL I notice the big black dog finally made off with the bone.

7. Elias Alias
    Elias Alias September 2, 2014 2:07 pm

Claire,
    Oath Keepers is happy to help. Some of our people have sent in money as well as signed the petition. No matter the outcome of this, you got on record as a true and loyal friend to Aaron’s vision. I salute you.

Salute!
    Elias Alias

Claire September 2, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks again, Elias. Although I’d never tell anybody not to donate to JPFO, right now sending money to them seems a lot like sending booze to an alcoholic. But I know at least a few have sent $$ in hopes of keeping JPFO independent. Ain’t gonna happen without a miracle, but I appreciate the sentiment behind the donations.

9. WolfSong
    WolfSong September 3, 2014 8:22 am

Labour Day here was the same as every weekend this summer has been…alternating between raining, and us working on fencing. Only 600 or so more posts to go! Wheee!
    I’m just hoping the folks who said they’d help will come out when it’s time for stretching wire. 😉