Thursday links

• Deep Web. Looks like an intriguing documentary. (H/T GL)
  • Why does Google want to harvest and store your media for “free”?
  • The four most dangerous words in the English language. (Tip o’ hat to MJR)
  • And 24+ words that ought to be in the English language. (Ditto — and not all the words are SFW.)
  • As usual, The Onion has the best commentary on our newly granted “FREEDOM” from NSA snooping and scooping. (H/T jed)
  • Well, maybe. Millennials are destroying banks and the banks are to blame.
  • Dunno if it’s worth $100k to learn the dreadful details of the secret trade deal to be imposed on us by our global overlords. Seems those details really ought to be free.
  • Well then. The chimps are considerably ahead of me.
  • How much do skyscrapers actually move? Fascinating geek trivia. (H/T jed)

Pat June 4, 2015 4:25 am

Some thoughts on the new words:
    I like Askhole and Nerdjacking a lot.
    Can do without Nonversation — I think “Small Talk” is more appropriate. “Nonversation” would be NO conversation.
    Destinesia hits too close to home :-).
    What does Columbusing have to do with white people? That practice is too universally human.
    Unkeyboardinated is simply not paying attention to your typing (many people including me never learned to type correctly), or being in too much of a hurry to write it properly.

I didn’t know what “SFW” meant until I looked it up.
    ~~~

Millennials have come into being at a time of great information through the internet. And they’ve seen and heard too many lies, deceit, and self-serving practices from politicians, corporations, and do-gooder organizations to believe everything they’re told. They’ve become more cautious in some ways, while too naïve and trusting on electronic technology at the same time.

OTOH, banks do have to learn alternative ways to interact with its customers, and do not know how to go about learning; “their way is the highway” and at the moment nothing else applies. Government edicts hamper the extent banks can deviate from their accepted practices, while millennials do not always have the patience to wait for change.

2. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair June 4, 2015 5:15 am

Four dangerous words: I’m from the government.

3. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau June 4, 2015 9:58 am

Good article about the four dangerous words. And yes, “Deep Web” looks like it will be interesting. I haven’t poked around the deep web myself but maybe I ought to take a look. I suppose without search engines, the difficulty is knowing where to look…

MamaLiberty June 4, 2015 12:50 pm

There are a lot of dangerous words, but I don’t agree with that designation for “it must be nice,” universally. It can mean an infinite number of different things. Envy can spur one on to greater efforts, or a multitude of other things.

A far more viable candidate for dangerous words, I think, is the all too common, “you made/make me_____” – happy, sad, hurt, angry, fill in the blank. Also, “you made me do ____” – whatever. Most of the time, use of a phrase like this indicates that the person who says it expects others to be responsible for how the speaker feels and reacts. Example: the man who beats his wife often tells her that she “made him” do that. And this, of course, is behind all of the “hate speech” nonsense.

It is an obvious ploy to load false guilt on others, with the ultimate goal being the control of others, emotionally and usually physically. The fact that so many people seem to see this as a viable and acceptable way to live is the dangerous part.

Claire June 4, 2015 1:30 pm

“you made me do ____”

Although there are probably lots of candidates for worst words in the language, I agree that the ones you cite are a real horror show, both because they’re all too common and because of the mindset you describe.

Having grown up hearing, “You made me do it” after scores of beatings, I take that phrase pretty personally. When I was too young to know better “you made me” led me to believe I had some almost magical power for badness. I was small and helpless — but somehow I could take control of the actions of a grown-up, 6’2″ man and force him to clobber me. Wow. Such power.

Once I realized (waaaay belatedly) what “you made me” was really about, I didn’t know whether to laugh or hate or both. But I sure did learn never to use that phrase.

6. Bob Adkinson
    Bob Adkinson June 4, 2015 3:16 pm

Maybe it’s a generational thing, I dunno. Millinneals vs. Banks…. Wow! So you can’t borrow money in 2 clicks, it takes 10. Wow! So banks should offer more products, like different models of credit scores(so you can borrow money now when you couldn’t under the old “model.) “Don’t talk to us,” so I won’t have to get dressed and leave the house. Wow!

“Yes, millennials are annoying customers,” in the words of the author. What’s a millennial, anyway. This entire post smelled like a child playing pretend. Delete this post if you want. I feel better now.

7. LarryA
    LarryA June 4, 2015 3:20 pm

The main reason banks aren’t adapting to people’s needs is that banking is one of the most regulated businesses in the U.S. Bankers seldom get to make a decision where the answer isn’t mandated by federal or state government.

The chimps aren’t remotely capable of “cooking” or even understanding that it involves heating food. They’ve simply learned if they put food in the magic box it will come out tasting better.

while millennials do not always have the patience to wait for change
    Impatience is the central characteristic of productive people in every generation.

8. jed
    jed June 4, 2015 3:39 pm

Destinesia? Yeah, I resemble that. Needs to be a similar word for, “I forgot what I was going to write in this comment form”. It must be nice to be able to think up such things — I’m not coming up with anything witty.

My least favorite 3 words are, “Can’t we just”, which is always followed by a question suggesting something that, no, we can’t “just” do. As the plumber I worked for always said, “The less you know about something, the easier it is”. Sure, we could do that, if there were 2 of me, we were charging 3 times what we do, and I had nothing else to work on.

Also, clearing your browser cache can be obstruction of justice. Well, poo. For any significant web activity, meaning anything involving money, I run a browser from a separate account on my machine, where I have the preferences set to delete everything on exit, and I run it from a script that cleans up anything else left behind. True, this wouldn’t thwart an in-depth forensic examination of the hard drive, but I also hope to never be worth the trouble and expense of that, to the fedgoons or other po-po. If I were truly paranoid, I’d have my browser cache going to an encrypted volume, and I’d still delete it.

9. Ellendra
    Ellendra June 5, 2015 10:26 am

I once heard a politician use the phrade “You made me do it.” Kind of cemented my view of government as an abusive spouse. A lot of things “the masses” do are consistant with battered wife syndrome. Including the constant support for their own abusers.

10. Ellendra
    Ellendra June 5, 2015 10:26 am

*phrase

If I could type, I’d be dangerous.