Friday links

• I really like this tiny house story (via Shel in comments). These folks aren’t trying to be trendy or green or holier-than-thou. They just know what it’s like to have been economically clobbered and don’t want to be vulnerable again.
  • Cops kill an unarmed white kid and the world says ho hum.
  • In Montana: another Oath Keepers operation to protect miners against fedgov intrusion.
  • 😉 Kickstarter campaign raises billions to wall off the Bay Area during Burning Man. (Via A.G. in comments)
  • Islamists hack to death a fourth non-theist blogger in Bangladesh.
  • Boy, I’ll bet the fedgov wishes it could do this.
  • Indeed, let these crony billionaires and their crony puppets pay their own way. (H/T jb)
  • A guy who doesn’t speak French wins the French Scrabble championship. (Given how snobby they’re reputed to be about their precious language, I’ll bet that really ticked off some Parisians.)
  • Your awwwww story for the day. And this time it has nothing to do with dogs.

1. Erik
    Erik August 7, 2015 7:48 am

Time to put on the heavy duty foil hat. Do you think these intrusions by the fedgov against miners and ranchers are tests to see what kind of response they can illicit?

MamaLiberty August 7, 2015 9:32 am

Of course, Erik… among other things.

3. Shel
    Shel August 7, 2015 10:57 am

Very interesting that WaPo is starting to see a bias concerning white deaths.

For some literary French humor (you’ll appreciate the Irish perspective, Claire) please see http://books.eserver.org/fiction/poe/why_the_little_frenchman.html If anyone happens to know what “plump in the mud” represents, I’d like to be educated. I’ve never been able to figure it out.

4. LarryA
    LarryA August 7, 2015 11:23 am

The tiny house headline is busted. It’s a family of five unless the cat in the second photo lives in, in which case it’s six. 😉

Amazing enough the spider can create the two webs it needs. Then the wasp larvae modifies the spider’s web? Wow.
    I’ll agree with ML on this one, though. That’s instinct, not training.

People escape from SF and return? Different strokes, I guess. Like the commenter on the little house story who thought they should have bought a condo and had a TV instead of wasting money on all that land. [sigh]

I’d kick in for a wall around D.C.

Hillary landed at Rifle? I bet she didn’t shake hands at Shooters Grill.

5. winston
    winston August 7, 2015 2:35 pm

Is it just me or are just like….firefighters and the mailman the only people who work for the state that aren’t scum?

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau August 7, 2015 4:47 pm

Yeah, I liked that example of a tiny house too.

I think it’s a mistake to make a big deal about the race of the kid police shoot. Some cop murders garner attention, some don’t, and it’s unclear why or what triggers it. My problem is not with the media attention, but the father. If I were him I would be going to war right now. Cops will continue to murder as long as they get away with it.

Yeah, I like that idea about the wall around SF. 🙂

As to the wasps, the state actually is doing that. The Ministry of Propaganda and the government schools turn thinking people into zombies for the state…