1. Kurt
    Kurt August 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Just one question: If black lives matter so much, why do blacks kill other blacks at roughly 4 times the rate of the general population?

Of course, it will be argued that it’s only a tiny percentage of the black population that does this, and that’s entirely correct. But the question stands.

Kurt

2. Ellendra
    Ellendra August 25, 2015 8:41 am

Agreed, Kurt. I would love to see people get as worked up about the kid who was shot in her own mother’s bed recently, but that won’t happen because both the kid and the shooter were black.

Or about the teenage boy who was shot by a cop because he answered the door with a wii controller in his hand. Or the baby whose chest was blown open by a flashbang device during a police raid. Or, or, or . . . .

Innocent people being killed by thugs is wrong. No matter what the skin color, no matter what the uniform.

By focusing on the skin or the uniform, people are derailing the very changes they claim to want. And alienating their own allies in the process.

3. Laird
    Laird August 25, 2015 11:17 am

A great article, Claire. (I especially liked the history lesson about the original Black Panthers; I hadn’t known that.) Your takeaway line is key: “government is a cause, not a solution, to their problems.” Of course, government is the cause of most of our problems, but that’s a different story!

4. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson August 25, 2015 5:20 pm

My 24 year old son and I have discussed Black Lives Matter several times. He is on a college campus and he thinks we should all support Black Lives Matter, regardless of our skin color. I tell him that I find the phrase too limiting, and while it addresses an obvious problem, I feel it doesn’t get to the root.

He responds that Black Lives Matter is for everyone, not just blacks. (He makes the same argument about feminism.) If we protect black lives, we protect our own.

I tell him that by qualifying “lives matter” with “black” it becomes a racial problem and not a police brutality problem. I continue that if the focus is on racial disparity, then the solution will be racial…there will be reports, special monitoring, goals, etc., all aimed at getting blacks and whites to be abused at the same rate. I’m in favor of rooting out the brutality entirely, thus solving the abuse of blacks at the same time.

He says that is a pipe dream. Better to ride the horse you’ve got than the one you want. Ok, he’s got a point, but I still contend that horse won’t get us where he thinks it will go. It will address racism, but it won’t address overall police misbehavior.

The debate continues.

5. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau August 26, 2015 11:29 am

[I continue that if the focus is on racial disparity, then the solution will be racial…there will be reports, special monitoring, goals, etc., all aimed at getting blacks and whites to be abused at the same rate.]

A good way to sidetrack things. I have never found convincing by the argument that “blacks” are incarcerated at much higher rates than “whites”. It’s clear that “blacks” also commit more crimes than “whites”, which completely destroys this argument. We never get down to the important point, that such crimes either should not be considered crimes at all (e.g. selling drugs) or that such crimes are an inevitable result of criminalizing innocent behavior (e.g. murders due to turf wars or to drug deals gone bad all resulting from prohibition).

You have to dig deep to root out this crap.

6. david
    david August 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Bah! Humbug! Black lives matter more to the police than to black people. If I were wrong, there wouldn’t be so many blacks killed by blacks.