Weekend links, too

• This cop is a shapeshifter! And he and his cohorts are liars and manipulators.
  • This article is nominally about millions being about to lose their Obamacare subsidies. But the most intriguing part is how many people aren’t filing their tax returns.
  • The war on walking?
  • Personally, I think all these busybodies who are so worried about every little thing being “cultural appropriation” should quit speaking English. After all, our language has been appropriating words from other cultures at a furious pace for thousands of years. Our culture would be considerably improved if the “appropriation” yakkers stuck to speaking pure Anglo-Saxon.
  • While I don’t agree with every word of this, her core argument does make sense. But excess license can produce twists similar to excess repression, too.
  • Fascinating. New research suggests it’s not the loss of memory, but the loss of moral compass that defines the worst loss of self to dementia.
  • Why is Windows 10 checking users’ systems for pirated non-Microsoft software and games? Who is Microsoft’s product really serving?

Finally, from Mike Vanderboegh:

blackriflesmatter

Which joins the one Joel is so fond of:

its-because-im-black-isnt-it

1. Publicola
    Publicola August 23, 2015 11:37 am

At the risk of getting booed off the stage…

All Rifles Matter!

(& carbines, cause shorty’s need love too)

🙂

2. Bob
    Bob August 23, 2015 11:50 am

I was going to comment on the “shapeshifting cop” article after I saw a technical inaccuracy in it. So I checked the source (Slate) and decided I would comment on Slate instead. Looks kind of like a Left Wing National Enquirer. Headlines such as:

“Watch Trump Supporter Yell Out “White Power” During Alabama Rally”

“Trump Fans Who Beat Up Mexican Immigrant Apparently Lived Illegally in Public Housing”

” Help! My Longtime Husband Is Devastated by the Death of the Man He Had an Affair With. ”

Then I thought I would check out the HuffPo article starring Josh Duggar, looking for the “core argument.” I found it a bit like pawing through a garbage dump looking for a ham sandwich. Never did find the sandwich.

I did enjoy Joel’s “It’s because I’m Black” AR. That’s a good one.

3. Ellendra
    Ellendra August 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Claire, I just got around to reading about your house in BHM. (Life has gotten hectic, not enough quiet reading time lately.) I noticed you mentioned it has space for a garden. There’s an author/plant breeder named Carol Deppe who specializes in veggies for the northwet. She lives off her garden, so she has pretty high standards for productivity and ease of growing. Her email is pretty much only active in Feb, but you can check her website at http://www.caroldeppe.com/

I know you’ve mentioned not being much of a gardener, so I thought the ease-of-growing part might be important.

4. LarryA
    LarryA August 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Mike needs to get with the times: #blackriflesmatter 😉

Government program conflating healthcare, insurance, and taxes is too complicated for anyone to figure out. Who could have seen that coming? 8-]

Let’s see if I have this cultural thing straight. If I write a story with minority characters I’m guilty of appropriation. If I write a story without minority characters I’m guilty of racism. Gotcha.

I’ll simply note that I know fundamentalist progressives who, despite all the “science,” still think socialism works.

When my wife’s father was into Alzheimer’s it wasn’t that he couldn’t remember her name that distressed her the most, it was that this inveterate DIYselfer couldn’t put together the 5-piece puzzles she made him.

5. LarryA
    LarryA August 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Dang. Need ‘edit’

6. Iwoots
    Iwoots August 23, 2015 7:04 pm

The article about those who could lose their ACA subsidies states “The report also shows that 7.5 million taxpayers ponied up $1.5 billion in mandate penalties because they weren’t insured in 2014”.

However, the actual letter from the IRS to congress of July 17th states “Approximately 7.5 million taxpayers reported a total of $1.5 billion in individual shared responsibility payments”.

I am one of the second group but not the first. For while I did ‘report’ on the tax form the amount for my “individual shared responsibility payment”, I did not ‘pony up’; but only paid the tax due, minus such.

I especially ‘like’ how the Investors Business Daily article neglected the very last item, note #8: Currently approximately 5.1 million non-dependent taxpayers did not check the box, claim a health care coverage exemption, or report an individual shared responsibility payment. We are analyzing these
    cases to determine their status.

So, I guess that means that 5.1 million freedom-loving scofflaws are more contumacious than me.

7. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal August 23, 2015 7:42 pm

The “war on walking” woman sure seems to hate cars.
    I think they have their place. I don’t want to live in the middle of a town which would have everything I need- because that would eliminate one thing I need.

I can see the advantage of designing a neighborhood- or a whole town- with walking in mind. And I might enjoy spending some time there.

People in this town walk. And they drive. And they share the road because there are almost no sidewalks. And it works. I love to walk, but I don’t like to walk in town much- for the exact reasons she talks about. It’s boring, nothing to see or do, not enough shade, etc. And the occasional nasty dog. I’ve never been bitten while walking, but I have been while riding my bike. (And I didn’t even shoot the dog!)
    ___

Cultural appropriation? Ha! We live in a time where we have a smorgasbord of stuff to choose from. Different cultures and every era of history up to today. If I want to wear a sombrero and mukluks, tie a replica of Otzi’s belt pouch around my waist, and toss an African necklace over my head, I will. Might even fully clothe myself, too.

8. david
    david August 24, 2015 7:33 am

Cultural Appropriation, eh? You know those Utopian future stories where science and technology mean that humans don’t work any more at anything, and we have everything we need delivered to us so that we only sit around drinking fruit juices and creating art and music and studying things so we get super smart?

Yeah, that’s all bull-hockey. The truth is that we will do just what is described here – pick fights with each other about stupid crap like ‘cultural appropriation’, or who hurt whose feelings. or feeling dis-respected by someone else’s choice of vocabulary to express themselves. Heck, look at social media, or the TV news, and you’ll see it happening today! This is normal, human behavior – albeit that of those who shouldn’t be capable of breeding. The future is tomorrow, it’s Ferguson, and it’s gonna be miserable.

MamaLiberty August 24, 2015 11:59 am

I don’t know where you live, david, but I’ve never seen such behavior here. And I don’t remember anything like that in the small town where I lived before. “Social media” and TV news are not real life…