Midweek links

(H/T to the Usual Suspects 😉 )

MamaLiberty September 16, 2015 2:19 pm

The end of the world. Evil google machines, police brutality… Yeah, sure. I’m afraid I have crisis fatigue and frankly don’t much care right now. Time for my afternoon snack!

I promise to get all upset about it tomorrow… or not. Depends on what I wake up to – or IF I wake up, of course. 🙂

2. JP
    JP September 16, 2015 2:27 pm

I think “allegations made by his fellow officers” is the biggest surprise in the police brutality article.

3. Seibert
    Seibert September 16, 2015 4:07 pm

Along the theme of selfie dimwits, here in Colorado the hiking trails up Waterton Canyon were closed because the self-infatuated were taking photos of themselves with bears. I kid you not. And this year, forage for the bears is in short supply due to a late spring freeze killing much of the fruit blossoms. They are extra hungry.

4. LarryA
    LarryA September 16, 2015 4:18 pm

I always thought snakes in toilets was a myth.

Nope. BTDT. At least you can easily spot the snakes before sitting. Last summer (very dry) we had an infestation of scorpions at the shooting range, where they really liked the cool, damp, porcelain surfaces of the toilets.

The government-collapse and natural-disaster preppers I understand. (I are one.) But I can’t buy the Biblically-based folks’ idea that if God smites the Earth, He’ll leave loopholes for freeze-dried food and flashlights.

5. LarryA
    LarryA September 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House?

“I just got away from the school cops. Secret Service? Nothankyouverymuch.”

6. LarryA
    LarryA September 16, 2015 10:57 pm

They are extra hungry.

But bears are really big, misunderstood forest clowns. Just ask Timothy Treadwell. Or his gf.

MamaLiberty September 17, 2015 6:07 am

Indeed, bears are not pets. One person told me that all you had to do was “play dead.” I reminded him that bears have no problem eating dead meat.

Around here, we don’t see bears often at all, but there are other dangerous critters. Some city folk visited and wanted to go get close up pictures of the deer that hang around here. I warned them that deer can be very dangerous, but they looked at me with “Bambi” eyes and went out anyway. I stood by with a rifle, just in case. Luckily, the deer just walked away and my friends didn’t want to bother following them.

Idiots in Yellowstone (and elsewhere) insist on trying to pet buffalo all the time. Lots of them get hurt and a few have died.

8. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack September 17, 2015 6:38 am

Col. Cooper’s Bear Rules:

1. Be alert.
    2. Remember that bears are not cuddly.
    3. Never enter bear country without a powerful fiream and the skill to use it well.
    4. Never camp on a bear thoroughfare.
    5. Be alert.

9. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair September 17, 2015 7:19 am

My favorite Twitter quote about the teacher who thought Ahmed click looked like a movie bomb: @billstclair: “The stupid is so strong, it physically hurts.”

10. Bob
    Bob September 17, 2015 9:14 am

“If you’re a geeky kid who likes inventing electronic gadgets your name better not be Ahmed Mohamed. Poor kid.”

And whatever you do, don’t chew a pop tart into the shape of a gun. That’ll go on your permanent record.

11. Laird
    Laird September 17, 2015 9:22 am

If the world is going to end I wish it would get on with it. I’m getting tired of all the false starts.

Jed, good news from that NH library. Thanks for the link. Hopefully many other libraries will climb on that bandwagon.

For those of you who read the story about the fired SC cop and were confused by the references to “SLED”, that’s the “State Law Enforcement Division”, a state agency which investigates this sort of thing.

12. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 17, 2015 3:36 pm

[Hanging onto home.]

Shades of Edward Abbey’s book, “Fire on the Mountain”…

Good on the library for turning TOR back on. Looks like they are turning it into an exit node eventually.