Weekend links

• Father gets into a stand-off with police to prevent a hospital from taking his “brain dead” son off life support. Happened earlier this year but the follow-up is what’s making this a Christmas-season story.
  • Pot for the homeless. (H/T jed)
  • Also from jed: all the SF books to binge read over the holidays. (Can’t vouch for them myself ’cause I haven’t read any of them. If you’re buying, you know where to purchase them.)
  • Dave Barry’s year in review. (I’ve lost track of the people who’ve sent this one to me; it’s definitely been making the rounds.)
  • Jim Bovard’s Raging Bitch Christmas. Little hard to picture it, but liberty’s professional curmudgeon did a stint as Santa.
  • I don’t always agree with Jonah Goldberg. But when it comes to picking the perfect presidential candidate for these times he might just be onto something.
  • Heaven knows why they’ve tagged this article as “gun violence.” There’s no violence involved — just more Americans wanting and getting guns. I know a lucky lady (not me) who got a brand new Glock from Santa.
  • Speaking of which, don’t forget to take the TZP poll on gun gifting. Even if you already took it once you can answer again with your post-Christmas results.
  • Awww, that’s wonderful. “Fospice” care for dying homeless dogs.

1. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard December 26, 2015 5:18 am

Thanks, Claire! Happily, I did not need to be a temp-work Santa to buy beer this season.

2. jed
    jed December 26, 2015 6:11 am

Happy Boxing Day!

I’ve been binge-watching Babylon 5, so I didn’t get around to Bad Santa. Meh. I’ll probably skip it this year. I doubt I’d survive an hour doing that gig.

Given a long enough time frame, a large celestial body impact is a certainty. If it happens sooner, rather than later, I’d not want to be a crew member on the ISS. Well, I wouldn’t want to be a survivor on the ground either, but there’d at least be a chance of a quick demise. My, how jolly is that?

I always recommend anything by Neal Stephenson, even if I haven’t yet read it myself. I do realize that his work isn’t for everyone, but as an author, he’s among the very best.

Claire December 26, 2015 7:48 am

Jim — That’s too bad. You as Santa makes a good story. You as that guy who annoys the hell out of DC insiders? Well, come to think of it, that makes a good story, too.

MamaLiberty December 26, 2015 7:58 am

We got about an inch of snow last night and early this morning. It’s beautiful, even if it is only a thin skin on the landscape. The sun is out now, so it won’t last long. Supposed to go down to about 4 degrees tonight.

The big rock from space would probably hit just after I get all my house maintenance done. Story of my life. LOL

5. peter connor
    peter connor December 26, 2015 8:28 am

We watched “Bosch” last night–excellent series! Thanks for the recommendation, the drama was considerably better than the Connelly books, IMO…

6. peter connor
    peter connor December 26, 2015 9:09 am

As to Sci-fi, read Jack Vance’s short story “The Moon Moth” and his picaresque novel, The Eyes of the Overworld…

7. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal December 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Since I find myself hoping that if some troll is going to be elected as president anyway, it might as well be the worst possible candidate, I could almost support Sweet Meteor O’Death. Although, I do prefer stuff I can prepare to survive.

I’m hunkered down awaiting the New Mexico/Texas panhandle blizzard I have been promised. The wind is already howling and driving tumbleweeds before it. They are calling for gusts of 80MPH, but it’s only in the 40MPH range now. I’m ready if the power goes out- and secretly hoping it does. I like letting the weather test my preps. Stuff like this I can handle, and after recent events I really had no way to prep for, this makes me feel more competent.

Claire December 26, 2015 1:13 pm

peter connor — Glad you liked “Bosch.” I need to return and watch the rest of the episodes, myself. I got sidetracked after five or six. Better than the books? It’ll be interesting to compare when I re-read the novels.

9. Bill T.
    Bill T. December 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Count me in as an other one one that got sucked into a binge session watching Bosch went through 8 yesterday going to do the to do the rest tonight.

10. Tired Dog
    Tired Dog December 27, 2015 11:42 am

Was the dad who held off the plug pullers at gunpoint rewarded with prohibited person status?